Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Mecole Hardman will be one Bieniemy wants, IMO.....

Why?? we can barely play the WRs we do have who are all better than Hardman... is he good at bench warming?? 

Henry is a stud.. but 29y old, has the most usage out of any RB the last few years and will be expensive = zero chance it happens and would be a dumb move.

5 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Why?? we can barely play the WRs we do have who are all better than Hardman... is he good at bench warming?? 

Eb is a big supporter of the player. Hardman has recently had surgery though so I can’t see him getting a deal in free agency early.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Eb is a big supporter of the player. Hardman has recently had surgery though so I can’t see him getting a deal in free agency early.

Hardman can return punts and return kicks in addition to playing WR. He would have to beat out Milne, Sims or Dyami Brown which doesn't seem like such a stretch. If EB wants him I could see us getting him easily, especially if he is good on kick coverage too which I have no clue about. Imagine going 4 wide with our top 4 and that's some serious speed if you add Hardman? 

• Like 2

I asked Chatgpt to build a roster from scratch to fit the salary cap and how it would spend on each position. I do appreciate how it values the lines. 

Sure, as an NFL general manager building a roster from scratch, I will need to allocate my available salary cap of $224.8 million across all 53 players on my roster, including backups. Here is a hypothetical breakdown of how I would allocate my salary cap across each position group:

Quarterback: $30 million (13.3% of salary cap)

• Starting QB: $22 million
  • Backup QB: $8 million

Running Back: $20 million (8.9% of salary cap)

• Starting RB: $12 million
  • Backup RBs: $8 million (total)

Wide Receiver: $35 million (15.6% of salary cap)

• Top 2 WRs: $25 million (total)
  • Remaining WRs: $10 million (total)

Tight End: $15 million (6.7% of salary cap)

• Starting TE: $10 million
  • Backup TE: $5 million

Offensive Line: $50 million (22.2% of salary cap)

• Starting offensive line: $40 million (total)
  • Backup offensive line: $10 million (total)

Defensive Line: $45 million (20% of salary cap)

• Starting defensive line: $35 million (total)
  • Backup defensive line: $10 million (total)

Linebacker: $20 million (8.9% of salary cap)

• Starting LBs: $12 million (total)
  • Backup LBs: $8 million (total)

Cornerback: $20 million (8.9% of salary cap)

• Top 2 CBs: $12 million (total)
  • Remaining CBs: $8 million (total)

Safety: $10 million (4.4% of salary cap)

• Starting safeties: $6 million (total)
  • Backup safeties: $4 million (total)

Kicker/Punter/Special Teams: $9.8 million (4.4% of salary cap)

• Kicker: $3 million
  • Punter: $3 million
  • Special Teams: $3.8 million
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Tampa released LT Donovan Smith. Had a down year 2022. Likely not an upgrade at this stage. Going to be an interesting week as teams get their cap position in order.

I disagree. The guy has been rock solid outside of 2022. Perhaps what hurt him was the instability the Bucs had on their OL this year and the scheme they were running under Leftwich. He is also just 29 so he should have runway to perform for another few years. He is a classic buy low candidate and I wouldn't hesitate to bring him in if his medicals check out. He and Leno would not set the world on fire but they would be a solid 1-2 punch at tackle and, as Mike Renner mentioned on Hoffman's podcast, in EB's scheme, they are used to giving tackles help. In KC, it was the interior that was fantastic. Signing Smith or Andre Dillard would open up a lot of options with the #16 pick.

• Like 2

Just now, method man said:

I disagree. The guy has been rock solid outside of 2022. Perhaps what hurt him was the instability the Bucs had on their OL this year and the scheme they were running under Leftwich. He is also just 29 so he should have runway to perform for another few years. He is a classic buy low candidate and I wouldn't hesitate to bring him in if his medicals check out. He and Leno would not set the world on fire but they would be a solid 1-2 punch at tackle and, as Mike Renner mentioned on Hoffman's podcast, in EB's scheme, they are used to giving tackles help. In KC, it was the interior that was fantastic. Signing Smith or Andre Dillard would open up a lot of options with the #16 pick.

You mean plug him in at RT ? Just been reading that he was dealing with personal things in 2022 which was believed to have been the issue. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

You mean plug him in at RT ? Just been reading that he was dealing with personal things in 2022 which was believed to have been the issue. 

Your suggestion is the likely solution. Sucks regarding his personal issues. Reading about him, he seems like a good guy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Let’s not promote EB to GM just yet. Hardman plays with Mahomes and is still a bust. No thanks.

JP Finlay has been saying that this year's free agency is going to be very cheap options if any... a couple guys that I think would be pretty cheap and good value could be:

- Germaine Pratt (LB)

- Will Hernandez (LG)

- Jawaan Taylor (RT)

- Resign Heinecke (backup QB)

- Resign Holcomb (LB)

And I think were good, then you can focus on the draft fix your o line needs and let's hope Sam Howell balls out!

22 minutes ago, Okapi p4pi said:

JP Finlay has been saying that this year's free agency is going to be very cheap options if any... a couple guys that I think would be pretty cheap and good value could be:

- Germaine Pratt (LB)

- Will Hernandez (LG)

- Jawaan Taylor (RT)

- Resign Holcomb (LB)

And I think were good, then you can focus on the draft fix your o line needs and let's hope Sam Howell balls out!

Hernandez would be cheap and coming off a solid year in Arizona. I think I read somewhere $1.5-3m APY for him on a 2 year or something around that.

Not sure Jawaan Taylor would be cheap though. Spotrac had him around $10-14m APY I believe. 

McGary or Taylor would be interesting. Presumably the right side would be set with Cosmi at RG. Then you’d need to figure out the left side. I wouldn’t bank on more than 1 starter from the draft, at least initially. Maybe you draft a LT and a Center and let Leno walk. 

A best case scenario might be adding a McGary and Hernandez. Drafting a LT at 16 and a Center in R2-4. Then you role with Rookie LT, Cosmi at RG, McGary at RT … and let Hernandez/Norwell/Paul battle for LG and hope the rookie Center (depending on who and when they’re drafted) battle Larsen (and maybe Roullier) for Center. 

Yes you’d have to pay a decent chunk of $$ for that RT but if you drafted a LT and Center you could move on from Roullier and Leno and net $12m in cal space this year and something like $24 million in 2024. 

Another path could be to sign a Center like Ethan Pocic along with a cheap guard to compete with Paul at LG. Then you draft a OT at 16 and start them at RT this year, and a mid round Guard to compete at LG with Paul and Norwell. Leno sticks another year and you either flip the rookie to LT next year or draft another OT in 2024 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Okapi p4pi said:

- Germaine Pratt (LB)

- Will Hernandez (LG)

- Jawaan Taylor (RT)

- Resign Holcomb (LB)

I guess there's a limit to structuring a contract to reduce amount needed in escrow. With the ownership change, we're kind of screwed.

George Fant, might be the best option at RT then. A 31 year old whose coming off an injury shortened season, but otherwise has been a quality OT for 2-3 years. Then go into the draft and get a developmental OT in rounds 3-4 and hope he can learn behind the 31 year old and improve.

13 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Byron Jones interests me a little bit if he is healed. I know he wasnt able to run at some point recently. Could be he is done. Or he could be a steal.

Yeah, it sounds like he is done. Just two weeks ago I read that he can’t run or jump. He called playing in the NFL a “regrettable cost.” Even if he does come back, I don’t believe he will be much of anything. 

• Like 1

For those wondering how the Saints were gonna both fit Carr and get under the cap, part of the plan is to backload the heck outta the deal and add a void year.

Carr's cap hit this year will only be 7.2 Mil, so he does not add much to the salary cap hole they have to dig out of this season.

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

For those wondering how the Saints were gonna both fit Carr and get under the cap, part of the plan is to backload the heck outta the deal and add a void year.

Carr's cap hit this year will only be 7.2 Mil, so he does not add much to the salary cap hole they have to dig out of this season.

To me the Saints are just guaranteeing they are going to stay in purgatory for a long time.  They don't have the flexibility to really build a good team around Carr (though they could certainly make the playoffs).  They don't have a lot of draft capital.   And by continuing to push out money even if they go 9-8 and 8-9 these next two seasons and realize they have to rebuild it to be a contender--they won't be able to because they have so much deadcap.  Mortgaging the future works well if you truly are a contender for a 2 to 3 year period and then you know you are going to likely have to go through a rebuild.  They refuse to acknowledge they will have to go through a rebuild so they will mediocre.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wasn't hot for the Giants but played better in Arizona, killer player in college IMO

this point I presume applies to all big signings

Putting aside the QB aspect of the discussion, it seems this is the part that is lost on most fans of the NFL...

The guaranteed money needs to be set aside and put into escrow. To do that, the owner/team would need to earmark the money and set it aside.

To do that, the team has to have money.

Typically, this is where someone says, "But team finances are separate from owner finances".

Yes and no. The owner owns the team, so that money is part of the value of the franchise. But healthy franchise owners have owners that separate the team funds from personal funds.

We, however, have Dan Snyder who uses that money to fill his jet and yacht with gas and pay for his lawsuits (allegedly).

So we do not have money to set aside in escrow for large signings. 

Hence why Rivera has been ballin' on a budget. 

• Like 4

I'm too lazy to do the work myself but I would be interested in seeing a list of players who need "prove it" contracts, regardless of age.  Players like Ronald Darby who show the skill set is still there but for whatever reason, the wheels came off.  I don't see any other way we get a decent player with little to no guaranteed money which is the situation we are in.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm too lazy to do the work myself but I would be interested in seeing a list of players who need "prove it" contracts, regardless of age.  Players like Ronald Darby who show the skill set is still there but for whatever reason, the wheels came off.  I don't see any other way we get a decent player with little to no guaranteed money which is the situation we are in.

There are a couple at tackle in Donovan Smith and Andre Dillard. Ironically, Darby will be a “prove it” guy once more this offseason. Hooper is the guy at TE

• Like 1