Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best and Worst Coaching Decisions in Washington Football History

TMK9973

Bar argument started yesterday and will bring it to the forum.

I'll start with positives.

#3- 2007 Joe Gibbs challenging too many men in the field by the Bears. Redskins were 5-7 at the time and allowing too many men to be something you could challenge was only implemented that season with little fan fare. 

Redskins won the game and went to playoffs with a 9-7 record.

#2- Joe Gibbs Benching Jay Schrader for Doug Williams halfway through a meaningless regular season final in 1987.  This was not as obvious as it seems. Redskins we're 0-2 in games started by DW that year and 8-2 in games started by JS (although 4 of those games had DW finishing the games). JS had also taken the Skins to the NFC championship the year before. But the move worked out. 

#1- Joe Gibbs. 4th and 1 early in 4th qtr Super Bowl 17 and going for it and calling 70 chip.

Honorable Mention - Starting Timmy Smith over George Rogers last second in the super bowl. Only HM because might not have mattered. The holes were huge, Smith never had a good game again, and George Rogers may have done just as well.

Worst coaching calls ever.

#3 2007- Joe Gibbs. Calling Back to Back Time Outs against the Bills before lining up for what would have been a game winning FG. 15 yard penalty, cost us the game. 

#2 2022 Ron Rivera. With the season on the line he benches the guy who has saved the season and had the team playing inspired football to put in the guy who was 2-4 and looks horrible for all but 2 QTRs in 6 games and didn't even realize the team could be eliminated with a loss. And even if fans and other experts argued for that call, I struggle to believe that there were not signs in practice that Wentz was going to be this bad. At a min it was clear at half time the team needed a spark and to save the season a move should have been made 

#1- 2012 Mike Shanahan. Wild card weekend. After breaking out to a 14-0 lead against the Seahawks, it was clear RG3 was hurt. Cousins had played that year and showed he was more the capable. But despite the entire country seeing as plan as day that RG3 needed to come out of the game, MS waiting until he had no choice, and by then it was too late 

Taking other nominations!

Edited by TMK9973
Typos

Regarding your first positive, it was actually against the Vikings. I remember because I was living in Minnesota at the time and was watching the game with Viking fan friends and they were just flabbergasted. 

For worst call, I think in hindsight even playing RG3 AT ALL after his initial injury was a mistake. Cousins played really well in relief in the Raven game and in his start against the Browns. If we kept starting him we would have still made the playoffs, especially considering RG3's impact those last few games was pretty minimal(people forget the defense was a LOT better at the end of that season). And we would have had a healthy RG3 going into 2013. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Rocket Screen

Excellent call. Must have been blacked out from my memory.

Hand off there and we are down 14-3.

We took the opening drive of 2nd half down to score so would have been 14-9 (we missed the xp) and back in the game.

Instead we were down 21-3 and the entire 2nd half felt like garbage time.

11 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

#2 2022 Ron Rivera. With the season on the line he benches the guy who has saved the season and had the team playing inspired football to put in the guy who was 2-4 and looks horrible for all but 2 QTRs in 6 games and didn't even realize the team could be eliminated with a loss. And even if fans and other experts argued for that call, I struggle to believe that there were not signs in practice that Wentz was going to be this bad. At a min it was clear at half time the team needed a spark and to save the season a move should have been made 

#1- 2012 Mike Shanahan. Wild card weekend. After breaking out to a 14-0 lead against the Seahawks, it was clear RG3 was hurt. Cousins had played that year and showed he was more the capable. But despite the entire country seeing as plan as day that RG3 needed to come out of the game, MS waiting until he had no choice, and by then it was too late 

Taking other nominations!

The Shanny decision was ego-driven. It will stay at #1 for a long time due to its terrible ramifications for the entire organization.

This recent RR decision seems disconnected from ego. More of a different reality sort of vision by HC.

It was a gamble and we lost.

Now having said that, he should have returned to Heine after halftime. The entire season was on the line!

3 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

The Shanny decision was ego-driven. It will stay at #1 for a long time due to its terrible ramifications for the entire organization.

This recent RR decision seems disconnected from ego. More of a different reality sort of vision by HC.

It was a gamble and we lost.

Now having said that, he should have returned to Heine after halftime. The entire season was on the line!

Agree with you 100%

This was a gamble. And RR would have had great credit if it worked 

But it didn't and he gets the blame. But to add on that he didn't know we could be eliminated means he made a gamble without even knowing what the pot was!

Inexcusable 

• Thumb up 2

20 hours ago, Stoox said:

The Swinging Gate, courtesy of Jim 'Staying Medium in the Maroon and Black" Zorn.

I was gonna give that HM.  Def worst play call ever. but had no effect. We were getting crushed 24-0 in a seasons where we were 4-12 and lost 45-12 To steal from Sammy Baugh - If he didn't call it it absolutely would have changed everything.  We would have lost 45-15.  

(Best Redskins quote after. When the Skins played the Bears and lost 73-0 in '41 (I think) on opening drive there was a wide open Redskin in the end zone but Sammy Baughs pass hit the goal post.  After game a reporter asked him if they had scored a TD would it have changed the outcome of the game.

He deadpanned the answer.  "Absolutely.  The result would have been 73-6"  

IMHO, the best decision was hiring Bobby Turner -- one of the best RB coaches in NFL history.  (Look him up). 

Randy Jordan isn't even in his league.

You want a good RB coach?  ... Search who Bobby Turner has been mentoring.

7 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Pitching the ball backwards 2 yards to the backup rb, on a pivotal 4th and 1, in a pivotal game has to rank highly on the bad side of things. It was a stunningly, ludicrous, outrageous decision 😡

No it wasn't. They had the line loaded with defenders. He was a missed block away from taking off.

If Norwell blocker #20, JWill was gone with blockers.                                           

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/can-t-miss-play-grant-delpit-covers-insane-amount-of-ground-on-deep-ball-int-vs-