Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders @ The Giants ~ Gmen Meet The Moxie Maker!

zCommander

Well this guy (Nick Shook) thinks we are losing this one to the underdogs Giants. 

Con.

WASWashington Commanders

ML: -135 · 7-5

AT

NYGNew York Giants

ML: +115 · 7-4

Taylor Heinicke isn't going to light up every stat sheet or scoreboard, but there's no denying his role in Washington's recent run of success.

Since Heinicke replaced Carson Wentz at quarterback, the Commanders have won five of six games, and one could make a strong argument they should have been a perfect 6-0 during that stretch. Heinicke isn't suddenly his generation's Dan Marino, but his insertion into the starting lineup has given Washington life it sorely lacked with Wentz on the field.

The Giants enjoyed their own run of good vibes earlier this season, winning six of their first seven games. They've hit a wall, though, losing three of their last four contests and showing signs that their early season run might have been a fluke. Yes, I said it. Well, when I wrote this, I whispered it in my head. But it might be true. Then again, a win over the Commanders would deal a blow to that narrative precisely when the Giants need it most.

There have been some concerning developments during the team’s cold streak. After throwing just two interceptions in the Giants' first nine games, the Lions picked off Daniel Jones twice in Week 11. Though he didn't throw an interception in last week’s loss to Dallas, New York's offense remained stuck in neutral, failing to score more than 20 points for the third time in four games. Worst of all, Saquon Barkley's renaissance has stalled. Barkley has gained a mere 61 yards rushing on 26 carries in his last two games. 

So why do I believe in the Giants this week? Well, New York is due to learn from its mistakes of the last two weeks, and a divisional showdown against Washington in front of the home crowd seems like the perfect time to get back on track.

I don't expect it to happen on the shoulders of Barkley, not against this Commanders run defense, which ranks eighth in the NFL through 12 weeks. But I do think the Giants can create a turnover or two at the right time and capitalize -- Heinicke has thrown an interception in all but one of his starts this season. Washington is far from perfect offensively, and its recent run of success has to eventually meet the law of averages.

As St. Louis rapper Murphy Lee once said, what goes up must come down. It's time for the Giants to prove their hot start wasn't just a bunch of blue pixie dust.

Edited by zCommander
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:17 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Junkies EB thinks Taylor will have a 3 int game in the future.

This will be that game. Giants can’t afford to let the slide continue; so this is a must win for them. Daniel is 4-1 against us. Also, Giants will have 10 days to prepare.

Danny 24

Taylor 9

It wouldn’t shock me to see Carson finish the game and Taylor getting benched. 

Now when we play them again, results could be reversed.

It's a Pick'em game. Too close to call.

TH is a surprise road worrier. So, no home field advantage really.

I feel like this is Scott Turner's game to win, more than it's JDR's game to lose.

Turner had his best scripted opening to date vs ATL. He's doing a great job right now and trending up.

WSH can't play from behind or lose the turnover battle. Behind by two scores and I'll watch something else.

Giants’ offensive line in for trench battle with Commanders’ front four

Take the sense of optimism that grew out of the Giants bookending their offensive line with two first-round draft picks and double it.

That’s how the Washington Commanders built their defensive line from 2017-20. So, while the Giants have a young foundation in place with left tackle Andrew Thomas and right tackle Evan Neal, the Commanders counter with four former first-rounders: Ends Chase Young and Montez Sweat and tackles Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen.

The cliché that games are won along the line of scrimmage certainly will apply to Sunday’s NFC East clash, which might as well be a six-face advertisement for the big boys developed in the SEC and Big Ten. What makes Washington’s front four such a challenge?

“They’re good at the run and the pass, that’s what,” head coach Brian Daboll said. “Having strong fronts — both defensive and offensive — is where you want to build your football team, and they certainly have done it. They don’t give up a lot of points.”

...“Allen gets — not necessarily lost in the hype of all the others — but I think he’s the best player,” center Jon Feliciano said. “Biggest thing is we can’t beat ourselves.”

What’s worse news for Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley? Young — the 2020 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year — could play in his first game since Nov. 14, 2021, which won’t make it any easier to jump-start a Giants’ rushing attack that tumbled from No. 3 to No. 6 after managing just 89.5 yards per game in back-to-back losses.

“Their front seven is very disruptive,” Thomas said, adding the three linebackers to the mix. “Talent all over the place. Not just that, they play physical, they run to the ball. So, we have to be prepared for that, be able to get movement at the line of scrimmage and protect D.J. to allow him to make plays.”

Jones had the best game of his career — 352 passing yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions — in a 41-35 victory against Washington on Dec. 22, 2019. If the outcome of that game was reversed, the Giants likely would’ve picked No. 2 instead of No. 4 in the draft and selected Young instead of Thomas.

Young looked like the better player heading into his first three head-to-head matchups with Thomas. The narrative has flipped with Young’s long recovery from a torn ACL and Thomas’ rise to No. 3-ranked offensive tackle by Pro Football Focus. Sweat and Thomas switch sides from play to play more than most end pairings.

“Any dominant pass rusher in this league I get excited for,” Thomas said, “and that’s the beauty of playing left tackle: Every week there’s going to be somebody that’s a war daddy that you’ve got to be prepared for. So, I don’t look at [Young] any different than the other top rushers in the league.”

Sweat was the consensus top edge rusher on the board when the Giants made their second first-round selection in 2019. After taking Jones instead of Jaguars-bound edge Josh Allen at No. 6, the Giants passed over Sweat (who was potentially misdiagnosed with a heart condition pre-draft) for defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence. That decision also now is seen through a new lens than years past, given Lawrence’s development into more than run-stuffer.

Young isn’t the only starter about to return to the trenches. The Giants’ offensive line could be whole with the returns of Neal (four games missed) and Feliciano (one). Nick Gates, who started at center last week, could be the fifth different starting left guard in 12 games.

“Gates and I will feed off each other because we both have the same mindset of crazy,” Feliciano said. “It’s easy to jell with a guy who you know understands what you are thinking.”

Maybe the push on the line of scrimmage won’t just come down to those six former first-round picks after all.

“All hands on deck,” Daboll said.

17 hours ago, TheShredder said:

It's a Pick'em game. Too close to call.

TH is a surprise road worrier. So, no home field advantage really.

I feel like this is Scott Turner's game to win, more than it's JDR's game to lose.

Turner had his best scripted opening to date vs ATL. He's doing a great job right now and trending up.

WSH can't play from behind or lose the turnover battle. Behind by two scores and I'll watch something else.

What if I told you they were down two scores in the 4th quarter in Indy?

34 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Heinicke needs to be real careful vs Matindale and that Giants blitz because he's probably going to see a ton of them.  Definitely not the week for YOLO balls or throws into triple coverage

If they are blitzing a lot, there wont be triple coverage, there will be single coverage. I think if one were ever to do YOLO balls it would be way better under a heavy blitz than a 3 man rush.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

We can say our recent winning is a product of Heinicke's energy, the defense, solid o-line play or a steady, pounding run game- a combination of all may very well be the case. But at the end of the day, our winning formula has been as simple as we win when we get at least one turnover and lose when we get none. We are 0-4 when getting no turnovers and 7-1 when getting at least one. 

There was no bigger indicator of this than last week. The defense was good, the o-line played well and we ran the ball with physical, pounding runs. Despite all that, if we don't get the batted ball by Payne that resulted in the Kendall pick, we more than likely lose that game. Maybe we stop Atlanta on 3rd and 4th downs - who knows. But I'm sure in hell glad we didn't have to find out and fortunately we got the huge turnover to essentially end the game right then and there. 

So, with all that in mind, my prediction is very simple: If we get at least one turnover, I'm predicting we win. If we don't, I'm predicting we lose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

If they are blitzing a lot, there wont be triple coverage, there will be single coverage. I think if one were ever to do YOLO balls it would be way better under a heavy blitz than a 3 man rush.

I dont think you beat TH by blitzing.  I kinda hope they do blitz.  If they sit back in zone but play the short stuff well then there may be an issue. 

• Like 2