Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup 2022 Thread (Ole.... oleololeole...ole... ole...)

Fergasun

Woke up at like 3:30 am and checked the Japan/Costa Rica score, saw they were tied 0-0 in the 70th minute.  Check the live lines, see Costa Rica at +1805.  Throw 60 bucks on them.  3 minutes later they score!  Huge upset.  The commentators were saying how Japan took Costa Rica lightly and weren't starting some of their best players.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Yeah definitely uninspired.  Morocco has had all the good opportunities aside from one shot from Belgium that required a good save by the Moroccan goalkeeper.

Apparently De Bruyne was critical of his squad and called them old, said they have no chance of winning the World Cup.  They are showing it.  Frankly they were lucky to beat Canada.

At halftime they are acting like Ghana 2, South Korea 0 is an upset.  Sure, the FIFA world rankings might be a wide gap, but Ghana looked better in the opening game and South Korea hasn't scored a goal and has looked pretty anemic offensively.  They keep waiting for numbers, but when they stop - there's no help from midfield or other attackers and the defense catches up.  There's no offensive speed.  

Have a bad feeling Iran is gonna tear us a new asshole.

There's a lot going on in that country, and they clearly trying to make this game bigger then it needs to be.

Expect them to want this more then us to start, not enough body of work to see if we can match what it seems they plan to bring.

Hope I'm wrong, off tomorrow so will be looking for it.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There's a lot going on in that country, and they clearly trying to make this game bigger then it needs to be.

Expect them to want this more then us to start, not enough body of work to see if we can match what it seems they plan to bring.

I ain't worried. 2 nil Yanks. 

So that SK - Ghana 2nd half was spicy!  Korea scoring 2 quick goals out of the gate to equalize and then Ghana getting one up.  Korea crossing it a million times in the last 15 minutes of the match (10 minutes given for extra time).  They won one final corner, but the ref blew the whistle before it could be taken, and Korean coach got a red card after the match.  Not sure Korea would have scored on one more cross.  

Ghana wasted a bit of time in extra time...  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

So that SK - Ghana 2nd half was spicy!  Korea scoring 2 quick goals out of the gate to equalize and then Ghana getting one up.  Korea crossing it a million times in the last 15 minutes of the match (10 minutes given for extra time).  They won one final corner, but the ref blew the whistle before it could be taken, and Korean coach got a red card after the match.  Not sure Korea would have scored on one more cross.  

Ghana wasted a bit of time in extra time...  

Happy to see the red card for the coach. 

@tshile

I find soccer is like that, except you don't always get the payoff of goals.  For instance, Ghana had something like 3 shots and they were all on goal.

Good example is the Champions League final last year.  It ended 1-0... wow, boring.  Except the Real Madrid 1 goal was a counter and Liverpool spent a ton of time attacking and peppering the goalie. 

World Cup, Champions League and matches between top teams in the European leagues are quite exciting to watch. 

I understand you can enjoy the back and forth and strategy of a 1-0 game. That the level of competition can just be great. 

if you’re into the sport. 

much like a real football fan can enjoy a 13-10 game, if the score is the outcome of two outstanding defensive teams going at it the whole time. 

but for a sport to take off it needs to appeal to the non-true-fan. Much like how someone that’s not a real football fan cannot enjoy that game, and if the games regularly ended 9-6 or 13-10, the NFL would have never taken off the way it has… soccer will continue to struggle as a tier 2 sport here so long as great matchups can end in a 0-0 tie regularly. 

think about how bitter people get at ties in the NFL. Now imagine ties being the norm, and the result of a 3-3 game where for 60 minutes there were only 2 fg’s kicked. That’s soccer for the US. 

Edited by tshile

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You worried cause you a worrier. We going balls deep. America ****es. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

You worried cause you a worrier. We going balls deep. America ****es. 

Pinning this since one of yall was talking mad reckless out the mouth early in the Wales game we might blow Wales out. 

Iran smoked them instead...jus play like a tie won't cut it and let the chips fall where they may.  Like what I see so far, we should be back.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Pinning this since one of yall was talking mad reckless out the mouth early in the Wales game we might blow Wales out. 

Iran smoked them instead...jus play like a tie won't cut it and let the chips fall where they may.  Like what I see so far, we should be back.

**** thing is Iran advances with a tie unless wales wind by a big margin. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fergasun said:

At halftime they are acting like Ghana 2, South Korea 0 is an upset.  Sure, the FIFA world rankings might be a wide gap, but Ghana looked better in the opening game and South Korea hasn't scored a goal and has looked pretty anemic offensively.  They keep waiting for numbers, but when they stop - there's no help from midfield or other attackers and the defense catches up.  There's no offensive speed.  

Been beating the drum for Liverpool to sign Kudus for a couple months now. Taylor made replacement for my man Mo.