Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things PLAYOFFS 2022 Thread

kleese

11 minutes ago, kleese said:

They also had wins that could have gone either way. It’s the same for just about every team in the league that isn’t elite or awful. Games are close and often swing on a handful of plays. 75% of the league at end of year will probably be able to point to a handful of games/moments that cost them/helped them. 

Right.

I’m certain all the teams we beat also feel like those are games they should have won.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kleese said:

They also had wins that could have gone either way. It’s the same for just about every team in the league that isn’t elite or awful. Games are close and often swing on a handful of plays. 75% of the league at end of year will probably be able to point to a handful of games/moments that cost them/helped them. 

I can live with losing to the Vikings and Titans because at least they're good teams.

Completely no showing the 1st half of the Lions game was inexcusable though.

13 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

The Lions, Titans, and Vikings losses are going to haunt them big time at the end of the year.  

Well, if they had won even 2 of those games, they would be 6-3 right now and solidly in the playoff picture.  

The one that hurts the most is the Titans loss. The OL was still a complete mess, but they managed to get the ball down the field some, and were in a position to win.  I find it interesting that I am much more of a fan of Scott Turner when he's forced to call plays for TH than when he calls them for Wentz.  He knows what he can and can't do with TH, and sticks to it.  With Wentz, I think he's still figuring it out.  The play calling at the end of the Titans game was absolute trash.  Wentz can't throw the INT there either, but there was no creativity on the call and nobody was open, so he tried to force it into McKissic and it got picked off.  Just bad all the way around.  

The whole team collectively played like dog poop for the first half of the Lion's game, and the OL was a complete and total disaster. 

The Vikings game, they maybe should have won but 98% of that game felt lucky, right from the back judge taking out a safety who was playing center field and had a bead on what turned into the Samuel TD, 2 red zone turnovers by the Vikings.... Not to say you can't win games where you don't really earn them, but it never felt like they really should win that game, just that they were in position to do so for bizarre reasons.  And then, for the final 10 minutes of the game, it equaled out to what it probably should have looked like the entire game.  

The Titans game is the big one for me.  I kindof give them a half-pass for the first half of the Detroit game because they literally had guys playing on the OL who had no idea what they were doing. It was just a bloody mess.

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m certain all the teams we beat also feel like those are games they should have won.

Every team that loses 17-15 to a TH led team because Moxie Magic bit them on the ass will think it's a game they should have won.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I think we were over .500 at the halfway point of 2016 and 2018. Otherwise, I just got tired of most years having this thread where we are 4-5 and making all these calculations of "well, if things break this way, we'll be able to squeeze in with 8-9 wins."

Lets assume we lose to Philly tomorrow and are 4-6. So then if we.....

run the table, we'd be 11-6

go 6-1, be 10-7

go 5-2, be 9-8

go 4-3, be 8-9

Think about that. Can go over .500 the rest of the games after Philly and still be only 8-9.

God, this is depressing

Results for the week were mixed bag: 

Falcons, Seahawks, Cowboys, Saints, Rams losses = good 

Giants, 49ers wins = bad 

I still believe the Giants are in position to be this year's "how did they miss the playoffs" team... Lions will have a shot to win in NY this week and Giants schedule gets ugly after that if you assume we beat them at least once. Will see how our game officially plays out tonight and then move on to next week's schedule. Cowboys loss sort of "re-enters" them into the mix-- I like their chances to beat Vikings in Minny this Sunday (Cowboys favored, how about that) but if they lose, they very much become anything but a playoff lock at 6-4. 

Playoffs?   this team ain't going to the playoffs! lol!!!!!! y'all can put in whatever scenarios you want, but this team is not going to the playoffs!  

unless......... Ron gets fired and Brian Mitchell becomes the new interim head coach of this team!!!!!  Hey, if the Colts can do it, Danny Boy should one up Irsay!  hahahahaha.

• Thumb down 1

6 hours ago, ultravin said:

Playoffs?   this team ain't going to the playoffs! lol!!!!!! y'all can put in whatever scenarios you want, but this team is not going to the playoffs!  

unless......... Ron gets fired and Brian Mitchell becomes the new interim head coach of this team!!!!!  Hey, if the Colts can do it, Danny Boy should one up Irsay!  hahahahaha.

But then again, no one had us winning this game.

Updated going into Week 11.

Overall Record/Conference Record

1. Eagles (8-1/5-1):  @Colts, Packers, Titans, @Giants, @Bears, @Boys, Saints, Giants

2. Vikings (8-1/6-1):  Boys, Pats, Jets, @Lions, Colts, Giants, @Packers, @Bears

3. Seahawks (6-4/4-4):  Raiders, @Rams, Panthers, 49ers, @Chiefs, Jets, Rams

4. Bucs (5-5/5-2):  @Browns, Saints, @49ers, Bengals @Cards, Panthers, @Falcons

5. Giants(7-2/3-2):  Lions, @Boys, Commies, Eagles, @Commies, @Vikings, Colts, @Eagles

6. Boys(6-3/5-3):  @Vikings, Giants, Colts, Texans, @Jags, Eagles, @Titans, @Commies

7. 49ers(5-4/4-2): @Cards in Mexico.*, Saints, Dolphins, Bucs, @Seahawks, Commies, @Raiders, Cards 

8. Commies(5-5/3-4):  @Texans, Falcons, @Giants, Giants, @49ers, Browns, Boys

9. Packers(4-6/3-4): Titans, @Eagles, @Bears, Rams, @Dolpphins, Vikings, Lions

10. Falcons(4-6/3-4): Bears, @Commies, Steelers,, @Saints, @Ravens, Cards, Bucs

Arizona also has 4 wins but they aren't going anywhere and everyone else has 3 or less wins.

Beating Philly helps us immensely. We will need either Seattle, Dallas or New York to collapse to have a legit shot. Green Bay could sneak back into it.  Maybe Dallas is the team to collapse instead of NY.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

Entertaining the playoffs talk, I think their biggest obstacle, assuming we keep winning, is the 49ers.  They got off to a rough start with Trey Lance, and the Jimmy G potential trade stuff, and it took a few games for Jimmy G to get back to doing what he does, which is.....enough, for a team built like that.  Their arrow right now is also pointed up.

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Entertaining the playoffs talk, I think their biggest obstacle, assuming we keep winning, is the 49ers.  They got off to a rough start with Trey Lance, and the Jimmy G potential trade stuff, and it took a few games for Jimmy G to get back to doing what he does, which is.....enough, for a team built like that.  Their arrow right now is also pointed up.

I still think the Giants, Cowboys, and Seahawks are still in play as well. People are making the mistake of assuming results over first half of season will be equaled by all teams in second half. It rarely works that way. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

I still think the Giants, Cowboys, and Seahawks are still in play as well. People are making the mistake of assuming results over first half of season will be equaled by all teams in second half. It rarely works that way. 

Oh for sure, I just think the 49ers have sort of been forgotten about due to their slow start out of the gate, but a lot of analysts thought they had a Super Bowl capable roster that could baby Trey Lance along enough to make a deep playoff run.  That didn't turn out to be so, but since unloading Jimmy G never materialized they were able to right the ship.  

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Oh for sure, I just think the 49ers have sort of been forgotten about due to their slow start out of the gate, but a lot of analysts thought they had a Super Bowl capable roster that could baby Trey Lance along enough to make a deep playoff run.  That didn't turn out to be so, but since unloading Jimmy G never materialized they were able to right the ship.  

I am actually focused more on Seattle than SF because I think the Niners are gonna start rolling and maybe walk away with the division. Of all the teams in mix, they are the one I am LEAST confident we can catch/keep up with. 

For this week, we want: 

Until further notice, I’m crossing off Bears, Lions, Saints, Panthers, and Rams as teams to root against. Those teams can actually help us and then if we need to worry about them later, we cross that bridge then. 

—Titans over Packers (not huge, but can’t hurt)

—Lions over Giants (I’m actually predicting this)

—Colts over Eagles (😉)

—Bears over Falcons (I don’t care about this)

—Vikings over Cowboys 

—Cardinals over 49ers (would enter AZ back into mix, but this would still be a better result) 

The two NFCE games are biggest ones this week. Lions beating Giants would be massive, because it would put Giants at 7-3 with a brutal stretch ahead. If Giants and Cowboys lose, then one of them is guaranteed to lose again on Thanksgiving. Then whoever lost that game would be VERY much in our sights if we take care of business. 

The landscape has changed slightly to me. I thought 9-8 would be like 75% or better chance to get in. Now, I think that’s closer to 50/50 depending on results and tie-breakers. For example, if we go 9-8 with a sweep of the Giants then our odds are pretty good. If we go 9-8 and get swept by Giants then odds are really low. I think 10-7 is a lock for us. So if we finish 5-2, I think we are in. 4-3 would be a crapshoot depending on results. I’d say no chance (or a miracle) to get in at 8-9. 

Essentially, we have to catch one of the following 4 teams— Cowboys, Giants, Seahawks, 49ers. We need one of them falter. Here is my order of most to least likely and thus most to least important to follow: 

1. Giants. Even at 7-2 I see them as our #1 target— even if they go to 8-2 this week. We play them twice so we control two possible losses and thus the tie-breaker with them. Their games surrounding ours are at Dallas, at Minnesota, and Philly. If we were to beat them twice, they would be in huge trouble. 

2. Seahawks. Not too tough of a schedule, but I’m not totally sold. My prediction is Seattle winds up as the 7 seed, but a small upset or stumble and they can be caught. 

3. Cowboys. They are good, but they have a tendency to screw things up. I kinda think they win at Minny this week, but if they don’t, they became very real targets and far from a playoff lock. 

4. 49ers. Record-wise we are closer to them than anyone else. If we win this week and they lose, we pass them already. I just think they are really good and about to overtake the Seahawks and maybe finish with 11+ wins. The fact that we play them does make it interesting in so much as just staying one game behind them allows us to control destiny with them, but I don’t like our chances of catching SF. 

Easiest week ever— root against the Giants and Cowboys. Pretty easy for everyone here I imagine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/15/2022 at 12:08 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Updated going into Week 11.

Overall Record/Conference Record

1. Eagles (8-1/5-1):  @Colts, Packers, Titans, @Giants, @Bears, @Boys, Saints, Giants

2. Vikings (8-1/6-1):  Boys, Pats, Jets, @Lions, Colts, Giants, @Packers, @Bears

3. Seahawks (6-4/4-4):  Raiders, @Rams, Panthers, 49ers, @Chiefs, Jets, Rams

4. Bucs (5-5/5-2):  @Browns, Saints, @49ers, Bengals @Cards, Panthers, @Falcons

5. Giants(7-2/3-2):  Lions, @Boys, Commies, Eagles, @Commies, @Vikings, Colts, @Eagles

6. Boys(6-3/5-3):  @Vikings, Giants, Colts, Texans, @Jags, Eagles, @Titans, @Commies

7. 49ers(5-4/4-2): @Cards in Mexico.*, Saints, Dolphins, Bucs, @Seahawks, Commies, @Raiders, Cards 

8. Commies(5-5/3-4):  @Texans, Falcons, @Giants, Giants, @49ers, Browns, Boys

9. Packers(4-6/3-4): Titans, @Eagles, @Bears, Rams, @Dolpphins, Vikings, Lions

10. Falcons(4-6/3-4): Bears, @Commies, Steelers,, @Saints, @Ravens, Cards, Bucs

Arizona also has 4 wins but they aren't going anywhere and everyone else has 3 or less wins.

Beating Philly helps us immensely. We will need either Seattle, Dallas or New York to collapse to have a legit shot. Green Bay could sneak back into it.  Maybe Dallas is the team to collapse instead of NY.

The team out of the three that you pointed out that has a real chance of collapsing is New York. They had an easy opening schedule and yes they had a couple impressive wins against the Ravens and Titans. However, that is a hard closing schedule they have and beating a Lions team that is playing better the past couple weeks is very important for them. It is very very important, in my opinion, that we sweep them - 1) Assuming we beat the Texans and Falcons too, it'll be great being 9-5 going into a tough final 3 weeks and 2) If we sweep the Giants, the only 2 "easy" games they'd have are the Lions and Colts, which are not gimmes. I expect them to lose to the Eagles twice and to the Cowboys again.

Add in too that Daniel Jones is injury prone and they have been running him a lot more this year. If he goes down, it's Tyrod Taylor with one of the league's worst receiving groups and it'll have to be the Saquon show

You do know Daniel Jones usually does well against us. If there’s a sweep in the Commies- Giants games; it’s likely the Giants doing the sweeping not us. Likely a 1-1,split.  I think the Boys could also be the team to collapse.

If Green Bay goes on a run and finishes with a better record; they’d pass us. Or edge over them is only if we have the same record.

We could be 7-7 or 8-6 going into the final 3 and loss as 3.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can definitely see the Giants coming back to earth.  They have also deployed a run heavy scheme, winning in spite of their QB, and I don’t think their defense is close to as good as ours.  It’s inexplicable how they are 7-2.

Daniel jones hasn’t thrown an INT in like 6 games I think, so that has helped them

12 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

You do know Daniel Jones usually does well against us. If there’s a sweep in the Commies- Giants games; it’s likely the Giants doing the sweeping not us. Likely a 1-1,split.  I think the Boys could also be the team to collapse.

If Green Bay goes on a run and finishes with a better record; they’d pass us. Or edge over them is only if we have the same record.

We could be 7-7 or 8-6 going into the final 3 and loss as 3.

May i remind you, the last time we faced Daniel jones, we won :) 

also we swept them last year, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that we sweep them. Sure, it might not happen, but if it does, I wouldn’t be surprised