Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Race: Demented WannaBe Dictator Trump vs President Biden

88Comrade2000

9 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Still waiting to see if DeSantis can go to a PA or Michigan or Ohio and not come off as awkward to those audiences compared to Florida. 

For now, he doesn't have to appeal to those states. He only has to appeal to Republican Primary Voters in those states. 

And as we've all seen, once someone collects the R after his name?  The "moderates" will crawl over each other's corpses, to pull that lever. Even after four years of Donald Trump. Even for Herschel Walker. 

35 minutes ago, Larry said:

For now, he doesn't have to appeal to those states. He only has to appeal to Republican Primary Voters in those states. 

That's what I'm talking about. The Republicans who are citizens in Florida and not snowbirds aren't the same as the folks who spend 365 in Johnstown, PA. DeSantis isn't going to come off like Oz in PA trying to seem like one of them. He doesn't need to. But his world and their world might as well be part of the Marvel Multiverse.

Edited by @DCGoldPants

3 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Still waiting to see if DeSantis can go to a PA or Michigan or Ohio and not come off as awkward to those audiences compared to Florida. 

Desantis would be fine in Ohio. The elected Vance. Ohio, while not deep red is solid red. Sherrod Brown might not get re-elected the next time. His hope only lies in more gopers dying off.

The path to Democratic victory is extremely narrow. They are basically maxed out at 306 electoral votes best case scenario and the only thing the GOP has to do is continue chipping away at places like Arizona, Wisconsin, GA, PA. The margins in those states are so small. 

Dems only pickup chance in the foreseeable future is possibly NC in 10-15 years? 

It’s hard to be optimistic about how this plays out   

All that's needed is for the supremes to overturn same sex marriage, birth control, and Loving v. Virginia. The Rs will lose states. Even Moscow Mitch voted against interracial marriage law and given his own marriage, he must be looking for a way out. If I was his wife, I'd divorce him right now and go after his money. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The path to Democratic victory is extremely narrow. They are basically maxed out at 306 electoral votes best case scenario and the only thing the GOP has to do is continue chipping away at places like Arizona, Wisconsin, GA, PA. The margins in those states are so small. 

Dems only pickup chance in the foreseeable future is possibly NC in 10-15 years? 

I agree with all of that, but the Dems best chance of retaining the White House is for Trump to be the GOP nominee.  By a huge huge huge margin.  

It seems like the media, pundits and other observers are making the same mistake they did in 2016.  Assuming that people can't possibly get behind Trump.  And yet, the base appears to still be solidly behind Trump, as they were in 2016.  Mayhaps all of @tshile's many anecdotes about his many Republican friends don't tell the whole story?  :silly:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Actually, Dems chances of winning the Midwest get worse as the Midwest ages.

Dems needs to look at the southwest and Texas. Midwest is going to lose more population the next decade and what’s left will be older and leaning to the gop.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually, Dems chances of winning the Midwest get worse as the Midwest ages.

Dems needs to look at the southwest and Texas. Midwest is going to lose more population the next decade and what’s left will be older and leaning to the gop.

As it ages? The boomer generation is everywhere. If anything, they are dying off more and more and the Gen X crowd with those after are going to start taking bigger pieces.

But look at places like PA and Arizona where the MAGA movement failed to take control of how elections will be run in 2024. That's probably going to play big and refocus where the GOP needs to pick up a different state. Maybe they look at Youngkin and VA. Maybe they think with their run in New York they can pull an upside for the entire state. They def want Georgia back.

What I think we know is that the Dems need to stop thinking places like Florida or Texas are within reach and spend the next few years focused on purple states for 24. PA needs to be held. Try to dig in deeping in AZ. Get moving in Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Nevada and try to hold Virginia. Focus on a few messages for the next two years that seem to have worked. Abortion access, Social Security. You have the video of folks like Rick Scott and Mike Lee saying what they want to get rid of. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

As it ages? The boomer generation is everywhere. If anything, they are dying off more and more and the Gen X crowd with those after are going to start taking bigger pieces.

Don't count on Gen X:

How Gen X Became the Trumpiest Generation

Now, though, there is no confusion: Generation X is safely Republican. One model from 2014 measuring only white voters through the 2012 election shows those born in the mid-to-late 1960s being the most Republican-leaning of all, more so than the older Boomers and Silent generation. In a poll released in late April by Marist/NPR that separated voters by generation, Generation X had the highest level of disapproval for Biden and were the generation most likely to say they would vote for a Republican candidate in the midterms if they were held that day.

While voters have historically tended to be more conservative as they age, that has accelerated with Generation X. In fact, Tom Bonier, the CEO of TargetSmart, a Democratic data firm, told me that Generation X has now become the most conservative generation, surpassing the Boomers in their rightward tilt.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Don't count on Gen X:

How Gen X Became the Trumpiest Generation

Now, though, there is no confusion: Generation X is safely Republican. One model from 2014 measuring only white voters through the 2012 election shows those born in the mid-to-late 1960s being the most Republican-leaning of all, more so than the older Boomers and Silent generation. In a poll released in late April by Marist/NPR that separated voters by generation, Generation X had the highest level of disapproval for Biden and were the generation most likely to say they would vote for a Republican candidate in the midterms if they were held that day.

While voters have historically tended to be more conservative as they age, that has accelerated with Generation X. In fact, Tom Bonier, the CEO of TargetSmart, a Democratic data firm, told me that Generation X has now become the most conservative generation, surpassing the Boomers in their rightward tilt.

Click on the link for the full article

Yep. A lot of my fellow genxers are full on maga.

Millennials and Gen Zers will have to unmagafy the country.

I must be in this weird non MAGA bubble for Gen X. I went to college with Gen Xers in western PA. Miners kids. Friends with them for decades. Easily 4 out of 5 have flipped hard on the GOP in the past few years. Enough they were celebrating Fetterman and their new Dem Governor just a few weeks ago. 

I'm not going to argue with what politico is referencing today. I also know I don't have a land-line and don't answer unlisted numbers and believe the sense of where Gen X and everyone after is headed isn't this easy to analyze. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I must be in this weird non MAGA bubble for Gen X. I went to college with Gen Xers in western PA. Miners kids. Friends with them for decades. Easily 4 out of 5 have flipped hard on the GOP in the past few years. Enough they were celebrating Fetterman and their new Dem Governor just a few weeks ago. 

I'm not going to argue with what politico is referencing today. I also know I don't have a land-line and don't answer unlisted numbers and believe the sense of where Gen X and everyone after is headed isn't this easy to analyze. 

This last paragraph is why I don't pay attention to polls.

• Like 1

Personally I find the whole age-demographic Gen-whatever conclusions to be a steaming load. Society has been shaken up like a sno globe, fractured and split and reassembling into factions that are not accurately described by birthdate. There are a ton of X-ers gone off the deep end w/ Trump, there are also quite a few millennials in there with their crazy boomer parents, etc. Much the same way there are a lot of Boomers pushing Team Blue, trading conversations back and forth with their grandkids. There were several meaningful shifts in the midterms, women across the board came out like crazy but it masked the fact that there was a sizeable shift in 65+ voting. A lot of the old categories and divisions foisted upon people are being rejected, there are new factions being born, old ones reinvigorated, diverse multigenerational groups finding each other out of a common mindset rather than "my pigeonhole doesn't communicate with your pigeonhole" thinking, a lot of which underlies current polling.

I like to think this board is a good analog for the broader coalitions coming to be. You really kinda have to be here for awhile to even tell who's who, age, race, gender even are overlooked or not apparent, views that are expressed are what matters. People tend to sort themselves out, form alliances or friendships without having to pass some litmus test of categories that have no bearing on the conversation being had.

Lately I can see (yes, just anecdotal) that the morlocks, by self-isolating in their political tantrums, have left everyone else to just be, to get along, to be content or even happy merely by the absence of bull**** that the crazoids bring to everything. It's kinda like the anthropause, when everyone was quarantined at home Mother Nature rebounded quickly, beautifully. Skies cleared, flowers bloomed, animals ran amok and it was fantastic. Crazy people penned up with crazy people will make each other crazier, that's why they keep getting louder, ruder, stupider, but savor their absence. It's a gift. Go out in the sunshine, talk to new people, listen to new people, it's happening right now.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

In communicating with new people, I find that those who are atheists don't believe in conspiracy theories much, are more reality based, and have more critical thinking skills. 

This is anecdotal of course but that's what I see. My best friend is Christ believing who doesn't belong to an organized religion unless you count YouTube where conspiracy theories abound. She's attracted to some of those. She also doesn't vote at all. So I avoid clicking on links she sends because I don't want my information in places I don't know. There's definitely things we don't discuss.

Edited by LadySkinsFan