Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Basketball

PleaseBlitz

14 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Re: Bennett at UVA

That Pat Forde article is silly.

I like Forde but think he misses big here in so many ways. 

in addition to what you said, Bennett has a 73% winning pct in general and 70% winning pct against the acc (which may be a shell of itself now but a lot of those wins come during a time period where acc was legit tier 1 league)

hes 16-10 in the tourney. 6 of those wins is the 2019 run and 3 of those loses are first round exits in the last 4 tournaments they made. So he’s 10-7 outside those 4 years. 

and he took a program that had fallen apart and made it a top 20 program in the country. 

im not a fan of his style of play but he’s clearly a great coach that’s had (is having) a good run. 

people act like you can just say “we want to find a coach that will win more tournament games” and it’s as simple as that. 

Edited by tshile

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

I like Forde but think he misses big here in so many ways. 

in addition to what you said, Bennett has a 73% winning pct in general and 70% winning pct against the acc (which may be a shell of itself now but a lot of those wins come during a time period where acc was legit tier 1 league)

hes 16-10 in the tourney. 6 of those wins is the 2019 run and 3 of those loses are first round exits in the last 4 tournaments they made. So he’s 10-7 outside those 4 years. 

and he took a program that had fallen apart and made it a top 20 program in the country. 

im not a fan of his style of play but he’s clearly a great coach that’s had (is having) a good run. 

people act like you can just say “we want to find a coach that will win more tournament games” and it’s as simple as that. 

Generally agree with this take. If UVA moved on from Bennett they would almost certainly be worse for it. They don’t have a tremendous level of talent* and his style does help them be a very good regular season team. Oddly enough they generally do pretty well in the ACCT too. 

*I will say though that Bennett has utterly failed to capitalize on his title. UVA has pretty high academic standards and he doesn’t like recruiting guys that are going to be one and done anyway, but man, they should be better by now. The only time his teams have ever done a thing in the tournament, he had like four future NBA players starting for him. That’s what it takes for his style to be successful. A bunch of a long athletes as 2-3-4 that can shoot it well. A great defensive presence at 5. And a 1 that is a top tier floor general AND can shoot. Their offense has to be hyper-efficient to effective at all. And for whatever reason their recruiting hasn’t been great over the last handful of years. They haven’t been able to land that caliber of player. 

It's not unique to UVA, but what impact has COVID had on recruiting, etc.?  I don't know. 

Did anyone have Princeton over University of Arizona?  I know it is crazy, but I think of all the 15-2 matchups this year, Arizona was pretty solid coming off the PAC12 win.  And I think this upset has just been chalked up as another "this is how the tournament is" games. 

Princeton as a 13 over UCLA as a 4 was downright shocking 26 (?) years ago....

Purdue big man is not doing what you should against the "smallest team in the tournament".  Purdue is a FDU stop and score away from being put to sleep on the ropes.

16 Seed up by 5 with 1 min left!!!!

And this big goon is the player of the year? 

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

I can't believe Purdue went away from their big man... I only watched the last 7 minutes, but he had 21 points? I don't think we saw him score. 

Just said 1 shot in the last 12 minutes of the game.

no one on Purdue wanted the ball, including their big man.  They showed up off their game against a fast team with hot hands, and it psyched them out.