Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Ron likes the overall offensive staff and their ability to coach and scheme. The issue was in game playcalling and strategy/"feel" which is why he replaced Turner. The priority is to get a better in game tactician while keeping the rest of the offense intact.

I don't know if I agree with it 100% but that's Ron's thought process I believe.

If so, shoulda just kept Turner and had Zamp call plays. Turner has some great plays. Hes very good at that. He just cant cook for ****.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If so, shoulda just kept Turner and had Zamp call plays. Turner has some great plays. Hes very good at that. He just cant cook for ****.

I don't think any team has a situation where the playcaller isn't either the HC or the OC and RIvera ain't a playcaller.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why is he even still here? Just sack the entire offensive staff and let a new OC build it.

If we sack the entire offensive staff, we'd be taking the problem we have with finding OCs that aren't garbage but are willing to fly a lame duck season and multiplying it by all our offensive staff. The team would get worse, not better.

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

At this point I'd be fine with any OC off the roster and not named Zamp. Even the guys I kinda don't want would be elevated to "meh" status by virtue of at least allowing us to dodge the Zamp bullet.

I have no interest in trying to solve a problem w/ a guy who contributed to said problem. Time for new blood and newer ideas. Zamp has not been good in his role here and his history as an OC aint any better. No thanx.

How do we know that Zamp contributed to our problems? He doesn't have anything to rave about from Cincinatti as an OC, but his work with QBs doesn't point to problems to me. He's made Kyle Allen and Heinicke almost look like legitimate players when they were here. He made Garrett Gilbert look half-respectable over the course of 4 days. Sam Howell didn't suck in his first and last start of the season against a playoff-bound team. As far as QB coaching duties go, I see nothing to complain about.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

How do we know that Zamp contributed to our problems? He doesn't have anything to rave about from Cincinatti as an OC, but his work with QBs doesn't point to problems to me. He's made Kyle Allen and Heinicke almost look like legitimate players when they were here. He made Garrett Gilbert look half-respectable over the course of 4 days. Sam Howell didn't suck in his first and last start of the season against a playoff-bound team. As for as QB coaching duties go, I see nothing to complain about.

Wentz came in and looked worse than he ever did before. His mental state declined instead of grew.

TH never looked like a legitimate player. He was god awful.

Players like Howell and Gilbert have no reasonable sample size to pull from to make a determination.

Haskins regressed under his watch and expanded into a larger headcase. His mental state deteriorated instead of grew.

Alex Smith was not his fault.

I see a lot to complain about and precious little to hang a hat on. I'm not supportive of promoting a guy who was both not a good OC in the past and has done nothing to deserve elevation in a smaller role of QB coach.

• Like 1

I wonder if, perhaps, the ideal OC is a smart, respected/respectable, player-relateable, former game-managing QB who had everything except a good arm.  That guy would look at being OC as a chance to do, indirectly, what he couldn't do directly.  Maybe Alex Smith?  One day maybe Heinicke?  You know these guys would love to be able to design an offense to do what they wish they had been able to do on the field.  Maybe it's just that post-workout dopamine rush talking.

21 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Wentz came in and looked worse than he ever did before. His mental state declined instead of grew.

Players like Howell and Gilbert have no reasonable sample size to pull from to make a determination.

Haskins regressed under his watch and expanded into a larger headcase. His mental state deteriorated instead of grew.

I see a lot to complain about and precious little to hang a hat on. I'm not supportive of promoting a guy who was both not a good OC in the past and has done nothing to deserve elevation in a smaller role of QB coach.

I don't think a QB coach can always be the psychiatrist a player like Wentz needs. You can give them all the tools in the world, but if a QB still can't do the basics in live fire drills, then there's nothing you can do. Wentz had a highly respected QB guru HC in Indy and failed in the end. Zamp didn't fix that, but neither did he make it worse. Same for Haskins. I don't think it's fair to say that Haskins regressed under his watch. Haskins was a headcase under Gruden and O'Connell, was a headcase under Zamp, and was a headcase in Pittsburgh. We all remember him being more interested in selfies than the games. He flashed for a single game in his entire career, and 3 coaching staffs could not convince him to build on it.

Howell, Gilbert, and TH's playoff game show that he can make starters out of spare parts in short notice.

Allen looked fine in all his games here. He looked like garbage in most of his games elsewhere. Turner and Zamp together squeezed every drop of talent they could get out of TH in the long term, which is why it's remarkable they were able to get multiple 4 game win streaks with him at all.

I'm not saying this because I think Zamp is awesome. I'm saying it because I don't think he's garbage, and that it's a waste of time, resources, and a steady curriculum for Howell's growth to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

This is not an opening for Wentz vs TH conversation which should be more than dead.  My comments are only in direct response to Zampese's abilities. 

The only way Wentz actually looked worse was his mobility. You cannot coach speed. He continued the play of the last few games in Indy. Zamp coached TH up and created a game plan with Scott well enough to cobble together several wins. Yea, in somes cases the team won despite TH but they got all they could out of him, including recognizing his limitations and developing game plans to work around them. Zamp also worked with TH over two offseasons to help him work on parts of his game and they improved. He needed to work on strength and duribility the first off season and he did. TH had been an injury machine. Has not been injured much since. Then they worked on the midrange thrrows and he got a little better. But in the end you can't coach arm strength. 

As for Haskins, that die was cast and he came in after he had been here a season. Saying he regressed is a bit selective. With all due respect to the decesded he was just not a good QB. You can't coach attitude and head space. Blaming him for that is bull****. 

I am not a huge Zampese fan but i am not down on him either. I do wish if he was the guy they had not done all this interviewing. Just put him in and move on. And in terms of some offensive continuity it''s not a bad thing. The playbook was not really the problem. Scott's got guys open and had a game run game plan but he struggled in putting together a play calling string - although I think that is exxagerrated some. Oline doesn't block, WRs drop passes, QBs miss reads can make play calling look worse than it is. But fair enough, he certainly made some very questionble call sequencees. 

I prefer someone else, preferably someone who could be consdered for HC when the new owners come in. But if they take Zampese I do not see it as a disaster by any means. 

I'm just not a fan of either Zampese or Shurmer. However, if I had to take one I'd take Zampese. I can't honestly say I remember Shurmer doing anything great. With the Giants his team was mediocre or so I thought. I thought that was why they fired him. Zampese atleast seemed to do pretty well in Cinci. He seemed to work great with the QB's. I'm probably going to be proven wrong but that his stuck in the back of my mind for some reason. 

It's a shame we can't pick up some college offensive coordinator or someone who has a decent offensive mind. 

32 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The ownership change may be a red herring here. It’s Rivera’s watch. It’s his call.

Sure but the ownership change is not helping. It most likely is a one year stint at the job before everyone get fired.

Maybe a young guy with ambitions could try to jump in and make this offense a juggernaut then hope to be named HC in a year.

But there's close to 0 chances of this happening anyway.

15 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Sure but the ownership change is not helping. It most likely is a one year stint at the job before everyone get fired.

Maybe a young guy with ambitions could try to jump in and make this offense a juggernaut then hope to be named HC in a year.

But there's close to 0 chances of this happening anyway.

The guy from KC should be looking here. Bieniemy. Nobody is giving him a a HC gig. Take a chance here in 2023.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

The ownership change may be a red herring here. It’s Rivera’s watch. It’s his call.

I disagree.

I think it's obvious that I think the ownership situation is going to play a very large role this offseason and you do not. As I said earlier, that's okay and I get where you're coming from. I just think that with this team being in disarray and an overall toxic culture as viewed by the League as a whole, having that atmosphere omnipresent as well as an absentee owner who has been more tight fisted with his cash lately is a recipe for a slow offseason where not many folks want to come here.

Snyder will move the goal posts. Or at least he always has in the past. I don't think anyone is giving him any benefit of the doubt until he sells.

I get you think different, but these offseason conversations are going to be wild from people who think it's a major issue to people who just think it's an issue... and of course the occasional ostrich who thinks we'll get anyone we want and sign them to a big deal, but they are rare here lately :ols:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I disagree.

I think it's obvious that I think the ownership situation is going to play a very large role this offseason and you do not. As I said earlier, that's okay and I get where you're coming from. I just think that with this team being in disarray and an overall toxic culture as viewed by the League as a whole, having that atmosphere omnipresent as well as an absentee owner who has been more tight fisted with his cash lately is a recipe for a slow offseason where not many folks want to come here.

Snyder will move the goal posts. Or at least he always has in the past. I don't think anyone is giving him any benefit of the doubt until he sells.

I get you think different, but these offseason conversations are going to be wild from people who think it's a major issue to people who just think it's an issue... and of course the occasional ostrich who thinks we'll get anyone we want and sign them to a big deal, but they are rare here lately :ols:

Rivera should quit in this scenario. Honestly, why wouldn’t you?

Didn't hear this rumor until now...

"No bad contracts, they can cut Carson Wentz tomorrow," Cowherd said of the Commanders during an edition of "The Herd with Colin Cowherd," as shared by Wil Leitner of iHeartRadio. "They have several great young players at key positions. Edge rusher, receiver, left tackle, running back… Key positions, they’ve got them. They need to upgrade the offensive line a little, they need a quarterback." 

Cowherd offered his take after ESPN NFL insider Dianna Russini raised eyebrows when she tweeted earlier this week that an unnamed club was "waiting in the wings" and getting "ducks in a row" in case Payton didn't accept a job presumably ahead of this coming weekend: 

"She has very good contact with the Commanders people," Cowherd said of Russini. 

For starters:

1) It's Cowherd lol...

2) Not sure Russini has "very good contact with Commanders people" anymore

3) Speculation is easy when there are no repercussions for being wrong

4) Rivera being fired or quitting seems higly unlikely, and Payton probably wouldn't agree to having Rivera as his GM

5) It's Cowherd lol...

On the other hand:

1) Getting "their ducks in a row" could be alluding to something dealing with the sale of the franchise, or at least Payton wanting to make sure all contingencies from a sale after he's hired are included in any contract he signs

2) That's it lol

Some else in the article mentions Payton and Tom Brady being a package deal where both go to the same franchise.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

36 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

On the other hand:

1) Getting "their ducks in a row" could be alluding to something dealing with the sale of the franchise, or at least Payton wanting to make sure all contingencies from a sale after he's hired are included in any contract he signs

2) That's it lol

Some else in the article mentions Payton and Tom Brady being a package deal where both go to the same franchise.

In the scenario a new owner is named and closed and they could still get Peyton as HC before we got too far into the off-season, that would make some sense if the owner came in soon enough to make changes.

Let’s play this out as a hypothetical:

1. Deal closes before March 1.  FA and draft haven’t happened, neither has any off-season practices.

2. New Owner (henceforth referred to as the anonymous “Jeff”) could whack Ron. Hire Peyton.

3. Peyton could decide to keep basically the entire defensive side of the coaching staff intact, at least for a year.  They’re under contract, and the haven’t stunk.  It might be too late to get a new DC and entire coaching staff.  They’d have to plug a hole at secondary coach.  But that’s about it. (Also except for when Gregg was paying players to decapitate opponents Payton has had mixed results with defenses.  They finally got good at the e s but were atrocious for years.  

4. Peyton probably would make a few changes on the Offensive side of the coaching staff. If they hire a new OC it might be the shortest lived employment term in NFL history…

5. It’s too late to entirely change the FO before FA and the draft.  Peyton probably gets some personnel power and they make changes after the draft.

It all could work.

It won’t.  Because it’s Cowherd and he knows nothing.  

But it’s a fun thought exercise.

• Like 1