Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

Turner just doesn't have in game "feel." I think his overall offensive play design is alright(nothing special, but fine) but you don't really gain an edge with him as a playcaller like say the 9ers do with Shanahan or the Chiefs with Reid, etc. For example on those 3rd and longs where we take sacks because we call long developing pass plays, he should know that the OL is struggling and instead call something safer that's short of the sticks to set up easier FGs. That's what I mean by in game feel. Know the game situation. Both two weeks ago and tonight we took sacks on 3rd and long that drove us out of FG range because Turner called slow developing pass plays to try to pick up really hard to get 1sts. Play for the easier FG first. Play the %s and know the game situation.

Just now, skinzplay said:

That 3rd & 3 Samuel up the gut call.......

That and the one on 1st down on a drive where Robinson was killing them. It only got one yard I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

That 3rd & 3 Samuel up the gut call.......

Hated that. We should have given at least half of Samuel’s plays to BRob. 

Also hated lining up in shotgun formation in the red zone or when we’re backed up against our own goal line when BRob has been unstoppable all night. That cost us a sack/fumble resulting in a TD for the Giants. 

3 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Hated that. We should have given at least half of Samuel’s plays to BRob. 

Also hated lining up in shotgun formation in the red zone or when we’re backed up against our own goal line when BRob has been unstoppable all night. That cost us a sack/fumble resulting in a TD for the Giants. 

Exactly it. No clue why they were running Samuel instead. The right gameplan would have been to give BRob 20+ carries and pound it in with him in the red zone

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

What does he do well? 

Seriously 

Camouflage an incredibly limited QB the majority of the time.

I actually liked the addition of the RO, but that’s clearly not something Taylor has a great feel for.  That needs to be removed from the playbook.

I didn’t hate every Samuel run but two specifically were like WTF and Why.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Seems to be the other way around. If he was doing that, there would be no simple dropbacks. Everything would be rollouts and quick throws.

If anything, they do better with TH4 because he's camouflaging an incredibly limited OC by using his legs on back playcalls to make something happen. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Turner had 2 weeks to scheme up a game plan against the same team he just failed and could up muster up one good drive.  That's pathetic.  Turner, along with Rivera and the rest of the staff deserve to be fired after this performance

Right. The best drive two weeks ago was in the 2 min when it was desperation time and TH was running around with all the WRs going all over.

12 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Seems to be the other way around. If he was doing that, there would be no simple dropbacks. Everything would be rollouts and quick throws.

If anything, they do better with TH4 because he's camouflaging an incredibly limited OC by using his legs on back playcalls to make something happen. 

There were plenty of quick throws to be made last night, he just didn’t make them.

• Thumb down 2

I see open receivers. 

Im not a fan of the jet sweep ****. I mean when it works, great, but it’s an awful lot of running to get minimal yards. 

it seemed like there was a ton of double motion and I’m not a fan of that unless there was a specific reason for it. 

But I can’t help but feel like Turners play calling is the result of feeling a need to protect Heinicke. I wish they’d let him throw the ball more and just live/die with the results. But that’s just me. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@MrJLfeel free to thumbs down that all you want.  When the PFF scores come out and the all 22 cut ups show up on Twitter from various sources showing folks in the middle of the field the entire first half only for Taylor to eat a sack or make a bad decision with the ball, apology accepted.

I don't give a crap about PFF

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I actually liked the addition of the RO, but that’s clearly not something Taylor has a great feel for.  That needs to be removed from the playbook.

I didn’t hate every Samuel run but two specifically were like WTF and Why.

He’s never coordinated even an average NFL offense. Every year, they’re near last in traditional and advanced stats. Every year. No matter the QB. Meanwhile, I’ve seen Brock Purdy, Geno Smith, Jacoby Brisset, Mike White, and Cooper Rush somehow be competent starters and score points.

So again. What does Turner do well?

39 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Seems like he gets receivers open

not that I’m saying they’re the same in terms of ability, but this fanbase spent an awful lot of time levying the same complaints about Kyle Shanahan. Every ****ing week. 

the guy most people consider to be an offensive genius

just not our fanbase 😂 

41 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

He’s never coordinated even an average NFL offense. Every year, they’re near last in traditional and advanced stats. Every year. No matter the QB. Meanwhile, I’ve seen Brock Purdy, Geno Smith, Jacoby Brisset, Mike White, and Cooper Rush somehow be competent starters and score points.

The All-22 suggests he’s consistently getting guys open and his dedication to running the snot out of the football and camouflaging Heinicke is a positive.

I’m not standing on the table for the dude, he has his warts, but he’s not even close to our biggest issue on offense.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Shout out to our own Jahan "Touchdown" Dotson. 6 TDs in 9 games for a rookie is awesome. While that punk in Green Bay gets all the accolades I can only imagine what sort of numbers Jahan would have if he could have been healthy all year. And had a real.... quarter coordinator... haha.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tshile said:

Seems like he gets receivers open

not that I’m saying they’re the same in terms of ability, but this fanbase spent an awful lot of time levying the same complaints about Kyle Shanahan. Every ****ing week. 

the guy most people consider to be an offensive genius

just not our fanbase 😂 

Kyle Shanahan was a bright offensive mind highly regarded around the league. He was an OC before he got here and went on to become an OC in two other locations afterwards. You are right about the fans complaining, but I think the complains regarding Turner are more justified. Shanny jr. did just as much if not more with less talent than Turner, and the one year he had RG3 he created an offense that revolutionized the league. I doubt Turner would ever pull off something like that.

• Like 1