Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: The Jaguars vs. The Command

KDawg

Rollercoaster of emotion. Let's get into it.

Offense:

Wentz was a really interesting and exciting figure today. He sailed a few passes a mile high, put a few directly in the dirt, made one really awful decision and then threw a pick on a screen that shouldn't have been called (or thrown). Oh, and he also threw for 313 yards and 4 touchdowns, 2 of which were to a rookie, one to the stalwart and one to a guy that none of us were sure would ever stay healthy long enough to score a touchdown.

What we got from Wentz was about what I expected. High octane with a chance of engine blowout. 

Scott Turner was electric as hell. And then Samuel fumbled and he went soft and conservative and ugly as hell, that was also about the time that Schweitzer went down as well. And then he finished electric as hell. It was like he realized, "wait, I could have lost this game dink and dunking with #4, we have a QB with a high end NFL arm... let's air it out". And then the touchdowns rained down upon us from the Heavens.

Samuel is dynamic and fun.

Jahan Dotson has tremendous hands, route running and vision.

McLaurin is the glue and big play guy.

Thomas is the safety valve.

Oh, and Antonio Gibson who is not a full time running back played a hybrid role today and absolutely shined. 14 for 58 rushing, so over 4.0 per carry... but more impressive? 7 rec, 72 yards. Antonio Gibson was our leading receiver. Using him to his strengths will give him more legs later int he season and limit his interior touches. We are now going to see what Gibson can REALLY do. 

Defense:

I am still not a fan of Bobby McCain. I genuinely believe Darrick Forrest has earned the opportunity to start for this defense. I wouldn't replace Curl. That leaves one guy: McCain. Forrest had big hits, big plays and the game sealing interception. I'd say he was the defensive MVP but Daron Payne exists. That guy played like a man possessed today. Payne added a sack, 2 PD, 3 QB hits and 1 TFL.

Jon Allen added 2 TFL, 1 QB hit and 1 sack.

Leading tackler today was William Jackson III with 9 total (8 solo). Which is both solid and also terrifying that guys were catching the ball around him that often. 

St Juste is an excellent hybrid. He looked like Landon Collins out there, except younger and with a bit more range and actual desire to play in that spot on the defense. He provided some excellent pass rushes and set up a big sack by Toohill (which was negated by penalty).

Speaking of Toohill and the defensive ends: Sweat and the others were largely non-existent. Sweat did provide a PD and 3 QB hits, which shouldn't be diminished, but he also let Lawrence shrug him off and throw the ball out of bounds on what should have been a sack. He played okay for a regular DE, but not a great day for a guy that is supposed to be a part of a superstar duo.

What about the linebackers? Uneven. I don't like them continually matching Jamin with Kirk in coverage. That's going to make Jamin look worse than he played in the mind of the casual fan who doesn't realize that an ILB shouldn't be matched up with the opposing team's top receiver. Jamin did play sideline to sideline, though, and provided some very solid pass rushes when sent for pressure. Holcomb was on the field. He did what Holcomb does. He hustles all the time, has no off switch... but he doesn't play downhill enough, reads the guards and overfills leaving too much of a cutback lane... But I don't think the LBs were the weakest part of the defense today. They were both largely okay.

The ends, the free safety and at times the corners were the bigger issue, though I'd say I'm still most worried about the ends. Hopefully Young gets healthy and plays like we all know he can.

Interesting to see if Del Rio  adjusts the way he is calling defenses or personnel groupings moving forward.

Still, a win is a win. 

Studs and Duds:

*** - Daron Payne

** - Jahan Dotson/Antonio Gibson

* - Darrick Forrest 

Honorable mentions: Curtis Samuel (if he hadn't fumbled he'd be on this list, what a game!), Carson Wentz (the one INT was awful, the second shouldn't have been called... the guy is on pace for 5,321 yards, 68 TDs and 34 INT :ols: ), Jon Allen, Logan Thomas.

The duds are a bit more difficult but...

Scott Turner :( - I don't know if this was totally on him, but I don't like how conservative we got after the fumble and Schweitzer injury and the screen call after Jacksonville was catching on to them in that situation was down right not good. He was so outstanding to start and finish though this is a bit of a nitpicky frown, but that mid game streak was scary. 

Bobby McCain :( 

Jack Del Rio :( :( I don't love seeing Jamin Davis on their best receiver.

I could give more... but... I am in a giving mood after the W.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 5

Just now, HigSkin said:

Finley just said Jon Allen popped up and walked off.  Said he saw him in the locker room and he was joking around.  Sounds like he'll be okay.

Good news. That was the scariest moment of the game for me. Especially after losing Mathis. 

• Like 6

Thought the defense was porous. If Lawrence was more accurate or had fewer drops this is a blowout victory for them. Our CB group looks iffy. Not quick enough to overcome late or bad steps. Scheme changes could fix it, but we need to blitz given our pass rush.

I'm not sure if the Jags weapons are better then I thought or if our cover guys are worse. But I'm eager to not go against that offense again. Jags offense looks close to being a surprise, unless our D is just this bad.

I don't think the offense has an identity yet, which is somehow good...I think. We're figuring things out, but several things look effective. Gives us game planning options.

Wentz clearly played within the system today, which is what we thought but also opposite from what national media has been telling us.

Hopefully Mathis and Allen aren't lost for the season. We need better pass rushing pressure with just 4.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Completely agree that Turner's play calling became absolutely baffling during the middle of the game. He went from creative and pushing the ball down the field to super conservative and seemingly scared. Was it the fumble? Was it losing Schweitzer? Then suddenly once we were down he opened things back up and suddenly we're scoring again.

I also found it maddening that Jamin Davis kept being put on Christian Kirk. Why would you do that? Davis is fast and is a pretty good coverage LB, but that doesn't mean you put him on the other team's marquee wide receiver.

Wentz looked like Wentz, but fortunately the really good outweighed the really bad.

Dotson is a stud. Forrest and Payne looked great. Terry didn't get many looks, but he made the most of it.

OL was pretty good but depth there is worrisome.

TEs were pretty decent. Would like to see how Cole Turner looks once he's back in action.

WRs were really good.

RBs were good, especially when they're actually used to their strengths (amazing what happens when you put a square peg in a square hole). Should be even better once Robinson is back in action and can be a bell cow back.

CBs are meh (though some of that might be on Del Rio for playing them off too much).

LBs were decent.

DEs were meh.

DTs were very good.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How TF does Samuels who the offense completely ran through not get a star and Jon Allen was incredible and got our only sack.

and you announced that you weren't even going to watch half the game earlier. Did you change your mind?

Samuel didn’t get a star because of the fumble. 

We had two sacks today. Payne had one. 

The offense ran through Gibson (leading rusher and receiver in terms of yardage and one reception from the clean sweep).

I did not announce I wasn’t watching half the game. I said I’d post when I got back. I recorded the game and started it around 2:30. I made a large post in the GDT with my observations :)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Are Dyami Brown's days on the team numbered?  Where does he fit into this WR rotation (assuming everyone is healthy).  I know he has a specific skillset but it isn't unique enough to really stand out amongst a WR core that already is speedy to begin with.

He doesn't fit at all because he stinks

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

This type of game is pretty much what I expected and I'm thrilled we came away with the win.  We are an average team until we prove otherwise so hopefully we can take some momentum into next week and continue to build confidence as we progress through the season.  We have above average ability on offense and they will need to carry this team if we plan on being relevant late in the year.

I'm glad Wentz had a chance to face his demons by giving the game away and then taking it back within what was a 17 minute window.  That has to help him going forward.  He was **** on all offseason for being weak mentally and he proved at least for one game that he does posses mental toughness and he was nothing but class in his presser.  He gave credit to everyone but himself.

AG showed up in a big way with 128 yards of total offense, he has a place in the offense with or without Robinson.

We badly need CB's, I've never been a fan of Fuller and he looked clueless today, Bill Jackson is who he is, a nothing burger.

Watching Holcomb let the JAGs RB run right by him for a TD was unsettling, he's just not good enough.

Sign Daron now, the chances are very good that Sweat nor Young will be worthy of resigning.  If Phil is out for the year we better bring in a veteran if possible, someone who is a solid vet with experience starting games(if that option is out there).

This was a fun game, this offense has upside and I'm excited to see what they can do when they find their rhythm.

• Like 1

Just now, OMacAttack said:

The aggressive play calling needs to continue throughout the game on offense. No idea why with an 11 point lead they would let off the gas.  Glad they aggressiveness showed back up in the last quarter.  Need to play with that tempo and attack through the whole game.

Well, we were in prime position to score before the half before the Samuel fumble.  It just deflated us.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I also found it maddening that Jamin Davis kept being put on Christian Kirk. Why would you do that? Davis is fast and is a pretty good coverage LB, but that doesn't mean you put him on the other team's marquee wide receiver.

Why did we not do anything about how JVille kept getting to that match up?  Any good OC should be able to get that type of match up once or twice a game but the DC should know that they want to get there and figure out how to keep them from taking advantage of your schemes. I really think our coaches got heavily out-coached and, if we did not have good talent, we would have gotten beat like a drum.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, mhd24 said:

Well, we were in prime position to score before the half before the Samuel fumble.  It just deflated us.  

Ya but we can’t let a fumble derail the team. I get if we were struggling all game long and then put the ball on the carpet. But the offense was humming. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

A fumble should not affect how the game is called by our OC.  Wentz thrives throwing mid - deep range no need to force him into throwing screens in the middle of the game.

When I was watching all the intermediate stuff I was thinking, “maybe Heinicke was the perfect QB for Turner because he doesn’t want to use Wentz’ arm.”

Then he used his arm. We scored two TDs. On top of the two from earlier. That was fun.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

The aggressive play calling needs to continue throughout the game on offense. No idea why with an 11 point lead they would let off the gas.  Glad they aggressiveness showed back up in the last quarter.  Need to play with that tempo and attack through the whole game.

42 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Why did we not do anything about how JVille kept getting to that match up?  Any good OC should be able to get that type of match up once or twice a game but the DC should know that they want to get there and figure out how to keep them from taking advantage of your schemes. I really think our coaches got heavily out-coached and, if we did not have good talent, we would have gotten beat like a drum.

Wes went down and Turner, who has 1 week of practice came in and they suddenly had a pass rush

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me the biggest takeaway is that you can see how this could be a very dangerous, maybe even an elite offense. Now, they didn’t play great for the whole game, @KDawg highlighted Turner going conservative in the middle of the game and that can’t continue. 

But Wentz spread it around, he used his weapons in a balanced manner.  If they can all stay healthy and if Turner stops going conservative after getting an early lead, they can put up a bunch of points. Samuel, Dotson, McLaurin and Gibson on the field at once? Forget it. 

I wrote this in the other thread, but I like Wentz’s short memory. He came right back and wasn’t afraid to chuck it after his two picks.  Some might call it a gunslinger’s mentality but I just view it as a guy who believes in his stuff. 

This game probably has a very different outcome if Lawrence didn’t struggle in the beginning, he missed some

throws that would put points on the board and he was able to find a bit of a groove later on.  I like that JDR was able to ramp up the pressure but the rest of the defense leaves a lot to be desired. 

I think we’re in line for a lot of shootouts this season.  I still don’t know if Wentz is the guy to take this team on a deep playoff run but he’s certainly better than anyone we’ve had under center for the past 10 years or so, it’s obvious. 

Also excited to have a rookie 1st round pick come out and play like a veteran. Dotson was awesome today, can’t wait to see more. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1