Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Queen Elizabeth II, the UK’s monarch for the past 70 years, has died aged 96

Cooked Crack

What is Operation London Bridge - the careful plan now the Queen has died

The day the Queen dies has been planned for by the government for decades and is codenamed ‘Operation London Bridge’.

Ever since 2017, the phrase it has been planned that the phrase “London Bridge has fallen” will be used to signify to the Prime Minister that the Queen has passed away. This message will also be passed along to other people in key positions to prepare for her funeral.

The plans are coordinated through a number of government and non-government organisations, such as the Church of England, the Metropolitan Police and the Armed Forces.

First of all, the news will be released by the Queen’s Private Secretary to the Prime Minster. This will then be communicated to multiple other government departments, including the Foreign Office who will inform Commonwealth nations where the Queen is still their head of state.

Government websites and social media accounts will turn black and non-urgent news will not be communicated. Then, the public will be informed by BBC and PA Media, who will be told through the Radio Alert Transmission System.

BBC Two will suspend all scheduled programming before broadcasting BBC One’s announcement. Dark clothing will be worn by BBC News presenters.

Then, in a more traditional fashion, a footman will pin a dark-edged notice to the gates of Buckingham Palace. The Parliaments of every UK nation will then be recalled and the Prime Minister will address the House.

The next monarch, in this case, Prince Charles, will then meet the Prime Minister and deliver a speech to the nation at 6pm. Flags will be flown at half-mast and books of condolences will be opened while ceremonial items, such as ceremonial maces will be placed in black purses.

Ten days later a state funeral will be held for the Queen and she will be laid to rest at Westminster Abbey, alongside generations of her predecessors and her father, King George VI. The funeral will be a day of national mourning and a two minutes silence will be held at midday.

Probably not the time for Royal-lovers but The Queen chose the establishment over her people. Many of the demons of the past have never been laid to rest.

As one example, this year we had the 50th anniversary of the Bogside Massacre (aka Bloody Sunday) where British paratroops murdered 14 unarmed civil rights protestors in Derry. The Queen's response was to decorate the commander of the brigade responsible with an OBE at the first opportunity in the New Year's Honours in 1973, and later to make Charles colonel-in-chief of the paratroop regiment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

It cracks me up how so many americans are so attached to the royal family. I’ve never understood it. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I can't say that the royal family meant too much to me. I eventually watched The Crown and thought it was interesting (moreso because I like history). I just think it's amazing what the queen saw...she started her reign as Stalin ruled the USSR. Think of what she's been through...it's a fascinating life. 

I was never a big fan either. However after seeing The Crown, it really humanized her and helped me understand the monarchy a little more. Plus, I also grew to respect her given all the crap she dealt with as a female head of state. All that, and she kept a putz from being king for decades! 😃😃

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I was never a big fan either. However after seeing The Crown, it really humanized her and helped me understand the monarchy a little more. Plus, I also grew to respect her given all the crap she dealt with as a female head of state. All that, and she kept a putz from being king for decades! 😃😃

Yep, I agree with everything you posted. I also like the idea of this world having links back to traditions like monarchies...there's something very cool about that (especially since they are ceremonial and don't actually "rule" anything). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Say what you will about the institution of the Crown, but Queen Elizabeth was pretty great at it and led a remarkable life. 

I’m not a fan of monarchies, because well … their history is essentially a succession of horrors.  There’s a reason we did away with them.  This queen wasn’t without significance to progress though, even if unwilling.  She famously stayed silent on important issues of the day because of her own sense of duty, but symbols have power all the same.  A  powerful woman existing with her husband forced to trail along behind her is a potent symbol that came at an important time.  She was always there, alongside the most powerful men in the western world who had no good options other than to graciously accept her presence.  I think that mattered.  It doesn’t give her credit for what feminists accomplished, but it holds significance all the same.  

• Like 2

[NOTE: Do Not Run Until ****ing Queen Is Dead Or People Will Lose Their ****] Queen Elizabeth Dead At 96

[ED. — DO NOT PUBLISH UNTIL AWFUL LADY IN THE GROUND]

LONDON—After 70[?] years as the ruling monarch of the United Kingdom and [CHECK HOW MANY COUNTRIES SHE’S IN CHARGE OF OR ELSE TWITTER PEDANTS WILL GET MAD] Queen Elizabeth died [PEACEFULLY OR PAINFULLY—COPY WHATEVER BBC OBIT SAYS] in [TK LOCATION] at the age of 89. A child [ONLY? CHECK IF BROTHERS AND SISTERS] of King George VI and [LOOK UP MOTHER’S NAME], she ascended to the throne in 19[TK DO NOT GET THIS WRONG OR PEOPLE WILL BE MAD] following the death of her father, and during her reign presided over such events as the Troubles in Ireland, decolonization in Africa [NOTE: CAN IT BE THAT RECENT? DOUBLE-CHECK], and Brexit. She married Philip Mountbatten in 1947, beginning a [TK ADJECTIVE] royal union that lasted [TK] years until [NOTE: DID HE DIE? CHECK. IF HE DID, WE FORGOT TO RUN AN OBIT], in which they had four children: Prince Charles, the heir apparent, as well as Princess [TK], Prince [TK], and Prince Andrew [NOTE: CHECK ANDREW’S LATEST ROYAL STATUS RE: PEDOPHILIA ALLEGATIONS]. In addition to her children, the queen is survived by [INSERT SOME BULL**** HERE ABOUT HER DO-NOTHING PROGENY]. As Britain’s first lady queen [PROBABLY LOOK THIS UP], she had a memorable reign, with other significant events of her life including [LIST WHATEVER WE HAVE TIME FOR, PUBLICATION URGENT BUT ONLY UPON SURE THING SHE FINALLY ****ING DEAD]. In the nation’s capital, Parliament [CONGRESS?] held a period of mourning, while U.K. Prime Minister [INSERT WHICHEVER DUMB**** PRIME MINISTER NOW] reflected on her long life, saying [COPY QUOTES FROM BBC].

• Haha 2

So what does our resident Canadian @Die Hard think?

Farewell to Prince Charles, the man who may not be king

Prince Charles did the best he could. He spoke to climate change, as he has so often done before. He praised Canada’s participation in the war over Ukraine. He watched in appreciation as the RCMP performed its fabled musical ride.

In short, he did everything a constitutional monarch should.

Alas, it was almost certainly not enough. Charles visited Canada this week as heir to his mother’s throne. But there is no guarantee that when Queen Elizabeth II dies he will inherit that throne to become the King of Canada.

Canada could decide to do away with the Crown as a significant element of the country’s Constitution, and turn itself into a republic.

Charles could be ignored and treated as irrelevant.

Diehard anti-monarchists would be thrilled if any of these scenarios came to pass. But not me. In fact, I’d be a little sad to see Charles go.

Partly that’s because he seems so familiar — like an old sock. He seems well-meaning but dull.

The only time I ever spoke to him — at a press event in Vancouver — he seemed vaguely baffled by the whole thing.

And I rather like the fact that, in these odd times, Canada relies on something as anachronistic as hereditary monarchy.

There is no question that the monarchy has worked for Canada. It gives us a head of state who is close enough to be personal, yet remote enough to be irrelevant.

Countries like the U.S. and France treat their elected heads of state with great reverence. Canadians respect their monarchical heads of state. But they don’t revere them.

I think this is rather healthy.

If I had my druthers, Canada would keep the monarchy after the Queen’s death for the very practical reason that it works.

Click on the link for more

28 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yep, I agree with everything you posted. I also like the idea of this world having links back to traditions like monarchies...there's something very cool about that (especially since they are ceremonial and don't actually "rule" anything). 

Up until 2011 I think the UK monarch still had the power to dissolve Parliament and call for new elections.  Of course the circumstances under which such a power would have been exercised in the modern context would have been pretty extreme.  I thought that the Brexit mess came pretty close.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tshile said:

It cracks me up how so many americans are so attached to the royal family. I’ve never understood it. 

I found it weird myself that I was stuck in front of tv for a few hours, waiting for the announcement.

Weird, because I'm not into Monarchy at all, and we all know what happened to our last king here in France.

Still, I have to admit that Queen Elizabeth was pretty amazing all by herself. She wen through so many things, years, eras that all by itself is quite an accomplishment, but it's not even that that is a most important about her.

For all our democatric countries and president, at least Queen Elizabeth put herself asides so she can be the Queen. While most of our leaders are thinking about their career first and foremost, her duty was more important than her. That's something we're severly lacking nowadays. Even though she didn't had any real power over the government and politics, always staying aside the public debate she was still above the it. Not always perfect, she started young, and made many mistakes as @Corcaigh pinpointed it. But nobody really is.

If somehow our leaders can learn a little bit about her engagement and dedication, we would most probably in a better situation that what we are.

So tonight, even if I generally despise all british citizens due to centuries long of cheating and unfair play, I still feel kinda sorry for them.

4 hours ago, tshile said:

I remember when William and Kate got married, my roommate at the time stayed up for about 16 hours straight watching the wedding. 

• Haha 3