Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2022 - {{SUPERBOWL 57}} ~ THE CHIEFS vs. THE EAGLES

zCommander

9 hours ago, spjunkies said:

The NFL is going to be in some serious trouble after this (for good reason). This might be the last season for Thursday night games. 

Never going to happen, what they need to do is find a schedule so teams don't have to have a short week. Maybe throw in an extra bye week or something to make the math work.

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Stuff like what happened to Tua tonight is why I'm convinced their won't be a 100th Super Bowl...its not like NFL isn't trying to stop that from happening or at least bring down its commonality to the level of the other major sports in the big 4 in the US, but at this point I don't believe they can...

If the the NFL waters down the product anymore, I promise you they will be usurped by another league.

• Like 1

The Tua injury is why I always say no player should ever take less money or anything like that. These teams don't give an F about you. Extract every penny you can from them because they're just gonna use and abuse you until you're no longer worthwhile and then they'll do everything in their power to discard you.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Never going to happen, what they need to do is find a schedule so teams don't have to have a short week. Maybe throw in an extra bye week or something to make the math work.

If the the NFL waters down the product anymore, I promise you they will be usurped by another league.

Nah, after EVERYTHING that has gone on, the NFL isn't even remotely feeling any heat from another league.  If anything, the gap is widening.  They've watered it down as much as they have and it hasn't made a dent.  Football is ingrained in the culture, it's gonna take a lot more than some rule changes to change that.  

The only thing that will hurt the league is what happens at the ground level.  If 3-4 generations from now, nobody's playing football anymore because parents wouldn't let their kids play.  But even then, fame and fortune will have people assuming the risk.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Nah, after EVERYTHING that has gone on, the NFL isn't even remotely feeling any heat from another league.  If anything, the gap is widening.  They've watered it down as much as they have and it hasn't made a dent.  Football is ingrained in the culture, it's gonna take a lot more than some rule changes to change that.  

The only thing that will hurt the league is what happens at the ground level.  If 3-4 generations from now, nobody's playing football anymore because parents wouldn't let their kids play.  But even then, fame and fortune will have people assuming the risk.

I'd recommend looking at how NBA was gaining on NFL right before COVID.

I agree the gap right now is huge, that doesn't mean it's safe.  

But the bold is a problem that can't be blown off because if too much talent stops being developed in youth programs and high school football starts to shrivle, the talent pool inevitably will as well.

Technically Boxing is not gone, but shell of what it was.  To this day I'm at loss how UFC blew up like it did, and my only guess is not enough of their stars have been seen in their later years with clear signs of brain damage in like we do football and boxing.  How the greatest boxer of all time spent his later years killed his sport, not his fault, hard to convince me otherwise and this isn't a warning to other sports.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I didn't just mean other sports, but other football leagues as well. It won't happen over night, but if some billionaire with too much time on his hands decides to pay these guys, the NFL could see some actual competition.

Personally, I don't think its that bad at the moment, but I can see the slope. People are tired of lopsided rules and inconsistent officiating. How the hell was the XFL able to figure out replays, but the NFL can't? They simply aren't trying hard enough.

39 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

How the hell was the XFL able to figure out replays, but the NFL can't? They simply aren't trying hard enough.

In the NFL there are 32 owners and they all don't see eye to eye when changes or new rules are brought up. Whereas in XFL the owners want their product to be successful and all the owners are on the same page. They are doing everything to make sure they have a good product for the fans to see. They probably are doing things they see the NFL is not doing and should to make it a fair and enjoyable game for all.

• Like 1