Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Football 2023

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So the more that's coming out, the more I'm having a hard time getting behind or rooting for Deion Sanders at Colorado.

Great speaker, yes.  I thought it was a bit odd telling the team they should all enter the transfer portal to make room for his players coming from Jackson State as well as them recruiting from the portal themselves.  I know all teams have "care-frontations" in the offseason to explain to kids that they have to path to playing time, but usually it is up the player to decide after that whether they want to stick it out, they aren't told to just go.

Now it is coming out that the staff is calling their incoming recruits and telling them they won't be honoring their scholarship offers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/colorado-deion-sanders-pulls-scholarship-190712704.html

That's one kid, but if you check 247sports, Colorado has had what appears to be 12 kids that have all "decommitted" in the past week.  The early signing period is six days from now, but even so, these kids have basically had two weeks, three at most, to reopen their recruitment and try to find new homes with spots already full at a lot of programs.

And yeah, I know kids can back out at the last minute, etc., etc.  Something about this just doesn't feel right.  I'm probably just being naive about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Forehead said:

So the more that's coming out, the more I'm having a hard time getting behind or rooting for Deion Sanders at Colorado.

Great speaker, yes.  I thought it was a bit odd telling the team they should all enter the transfer portal to make room for his players coming from Jackson State as well as them recruiting from the portal themselves.  I know all teams have "care-frontations" in the offseason to explain to kids that they have to path to playing time, but usually it is up the player to decide after that whether they want to stick it out, they aren't told to just go.

Now it is coming out that the staff is calling their incoming recruits and telling them they won't be honoring their scholarship offers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/colorado-deion-sanders-pulls-scholarship-190712704.html

That's one kid, but if you check 247sports, Colorado has had what appears to be 12 kids that have all "decommitted" in the past week.  The early signing period is six days from now, but even so, these kids have basically had two weeks, three at most, to reopen their recruitment and try to find new homes with spots already full at a lot of programs.

And yeah, I know kids can back out at the last minute, etc., etc.  Something about this just doesn't feel right.  I'm probably just being naive about it.

One thing good (and I'm not really fond of the transfer portal at all) about the transfer portal and upcoming recruits is they still have time to get picked up/recruited by other schools.  If they are good players, someone will take them.  I listened to the entire speech Prime gave to the current CO team and I really can see his side.  We are talking about a 1-11 team he inherits and he should have the flexibility to do it his way.  He is giving those current players an opportunity to enter the portal now so they have a home down the road.

Not sure how this is going to play out, because if he thinks bringing in a bunch of players from the FCS to compete against FBS and power 5 teams is going to yield instant success, I'm not so sure about that.  Next years schedule for them, they play some really good teams (TCU #3, Oregon State #14, Oregon #15, Utah #8, USC #10, UCLA #18), that's 6 teams that finished ranked in the top 25, with one of them in the playoffs.

For high school recruits that scholarships were offered to, it really sucks.  But again, a different coach made that offer.  Granted, I think there should be something in place to at least help those kids, or some of them, maybe a cap on the # of scholarships they can decline and they have to honor the other ones.  I dunno, it's definitely a business (always has been).

• Thumb up 1

I don’t think this issue is specific to Deion. A lot of recruits commit to a coach, not really to a school. So every coach getting hired and fired impacts recruits. Deion just gets more attention because he’s so brash about it. But if Nick Saban left Alabama and went to [insert any school] the majority of the next recruiting class would go with him. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I was excited to see how Colorado would do, but his opening speech really rubbed me the wrong way....it was worded super poorly, along with anointing his son the starting QB. It just seems like its going to ultimately crash and burn spectacularly now and there will be a juicy 30 for 30 about it...and how this opening press conference should have foreshadowed what's about to happen

No legacy signings in Penn State's class, though we signed a kid named Jaxon Smolik whose name I can't read without saying Jussie Smollet.

Given that he's a not highly rated QB and we have a 5 star kid from the last cycle, I expect he'll be in the portal in 1-2 years, but the name is fun at least.

• Thanks 1

There are no Bowl games on January 1st

Am I misremembering, or is this the first time in forever that there haven't been bowl games on Jan. 1st?

It always used to be that you sat around hungover and watched the bowl games on New Year's Day.  Now there are 42 bowl games and none of them are on New Year's Day.

They system is broken.

And please don't tell me it's because New Year's Day is a Sunday and the NFL plays on Sunday.  For years we had both NFL and College football games both on Thursdays.  There's no law that says they can't play both on the same day.

Edited by China