Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Listening to Finlay and BMitch, Finlay said it's interesting he has yet to see a 3 LB'er set in these OTA's.  Could be something or could be nothing.  BMitch added often times in OTA's they work on certain things and might not want people to see to much of what will really be happening in season.

Not once is interesting.  If we're still in Buffalo Nickel against 2 TE sets, that'll be fun.

• Like 1

• First-round pick Jahan Dotson continues to make strides in practice, and he had several impressive catches throughout the morning. He started with a snag during individual drills, and then he added another for a touchdown during team drills after Carson Wentz threaded his pass between two defenders. He also added a handful of grabs in the middle of the field during blitz period.
  • Speaking of Wentz, the veteran quarterback has been leaving positive impressions on his teammates and coaches. After practice, J.D. McKissic said Wentz has been picking up the offense quickly, and Scott Turner said there aren't any limitations to what he can do directing the offense. Turner and Ron Rivera envision the offense taking another step with Wentz leading the unit, particularly when it comes to stretching the field vertically.
  • The play was a win for the offense, but the defense, particularly Montez Sweat, provided something of an answer. Sweat blew past Sam Cosmi with a spin move and got in Wentz's face. The play ended with a dump off to Curtis Hodges, but it's important to remember that had Sweat been playing at full speed, it would have been a sack.
  • A couple other defensive linemen had some standout moments during team drills. James Smith-Williams knocked a pass from Wentz to the ground, while rookie Phidarian Mathis broke through the line of scrimmage with two offensive linemen draped on him. The Commanders need their depth to step up now that Tim Settle and Matt Ioannidis are on different teams, so it's encouraging to see the former second- and seventh-round picks contributing.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
  • First-round pick Jahan Dotson continues to make strides in practice, and he had several impressive catches throughout the morning. He started with a snag during individual drills, and then he added another for a touchdown during team drills after Carson Wentz threaded his pass between two defenders. He also added a handful of grabs in the middle of the field during blitz period.
  • Speaking of Wentz, the veteran quarterback has been leaving positive impressions on his teammates and coaches. After practice, J.D. McKissic said Wentz has been picking up the offense quickly, and Scott Turner said there aren't any limitations to what he can do directing the offense. Turner and Ron Rivera envision the offense taking another step with Wentz leading the unit, particularly when it comes to stretching the field vertically.

Cole Turner might be the most hyped I've been about a 5th rounder. "Excited for what he can bring to the offense" is high praise for a year-1 rookie.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, starting tomorrow until June 15th.  Just using the 15th as a timeline, I think we see a contract extension signed by TM.

Hopefully. At the latest, the Eve of training camp, but if he’s locked up long term by 6/15, even better 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

He does snatch the ball out of the air....

Not taking anything from Jahan, I am a fan of his tape but honestly- that clip was just a catch. Nothing wow about it.

18 minutes ago, dyst said:

Not taking anything from Jahan, I am a fan of his tape but honestly- that clip was just a catch. Nothing wow about it.

They need to get somebody chasing Heineke around so he can overthrow it 5 yards and then see if he can come up with it. 

• Haha 2

Sam cosmi is the real deal. If he can stay healthy. I loved him last year. 

And I love his interviews. That being said it reminded me of when Trent Williams went on some kinda diet years ago and everyone freaked out about it like if you’re 300+lbs that can’t sustain you. I randomly wonder if he’s still on it (kinda like his version of the Tom Brady diet). 

Absolutely no intent on suggesting cosmi or our guys should do it, honestly just randomly musing. And glad it worked for Trent and hope he makes the HoF but imagine he’d need a ring. 

I happened to catch this interview with Michael Phillips from Richmond Times.

• The offense is winning unlike prior camps where defense did and looks like it has a lot of weapons
  • Talked about offensive line with Callahan leaving but Matsko has done a great job coaching guys up
  • Not looking to have a QB put the team on it's back - Wentz fits what they need and he thinks Wentz will be just fine
  • Talked about Pats coming in for camp a few years ago and how you know what a professional offense looks like.  That's what it looks like in these OTA's, well run, crisp, good timing, fast offense
  • Low level stand outs who've been catching a lot of passes - Alex Erickson (WR) and Curtis Hodges (TE)
  • Offense with Fitz, Alex Smith and TH looked nothing like it does with Wentz, so much more professional
  • Logan Thomas recovery is progressing but he doesn't think he'll be ready week 1.  Could be an IR situation and tough decison because that would require 4 weeks this year
  • Talked about RB's, mixing things in with starting Robinson and Gibson won't get 100% of snaps
  • Chase Young - week to week return.  When the subject of last year slump comes up he tends to shrug it off and Phillips wondered if he learned anything but it's also part of Chase's personality, doesn't give out any self reflection

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2