Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’d like to point out to everyone that isn’t a developer (whether software or infrastructure or anything else)

that yes we are often asked if there’s just a button that will do <whatever idiotic thing they think should just magically happen>
and if not, can we just make said button. 

im dead serious. 

Yep. This is one of the issues with having so many layers of abstraction nowadays, whether in coding, systems, or networks.

It can make many things act and look easy if done in the right way, but by its very nature it hides the vast complexity of what's being done behind the scenes to anyone but the people who built it or maintain it.

"How hard can spinning up a virtual machine really be? All I have to do is click a button on AWS!"  -  Things to never say to an Openstack architect. lol

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Elon is completely and utterly clueless about how much there is under the hood at Twitter and really thinks he can get by without all the people who built those underlying complex systems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yep. This is one of the issues with having so many layers of abstraction nowadays, whether in coding, systems, or networks.

I forget where I was reading it (I think a twitter thread) but someone pointed out something that made me chuckle

generally speaking it is considered young people are more tech savvy. However, because of said abstraction, it’s actually becoming the opposite. For instance - many younger people don’t understand the difference between Wi-Fi and internet. 

i think it was a thread where some dip**** tried to claim England invented the internet (when in fact a British man created many of the early protocols for the World Wide Web, but the internet was a DARPA research project…)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

I forget where I was reading it (I think a twitter thread) but someone pointed out something that made me chuckle

generally speaking it is considered young people are more tech savvy. However, because of said abstraction, it’s actually becoming the opposite. For instance - many younger people don’t understand the difference between Wi-Fi and internet. 

i think it was a thread where some dip**** tried to claim England invented the internet (when in fact a British man created many of the early protocols for the World Wide Web, but the internet was a DARPA research project…)

ARPANET...wanna have some fun?  Read up on ARPANET routing protocols.

• Thumb up 2

Twitter's chaos could make political violence worse outside of the U.S.

Impersonators paying for blue "verified" checkmarks. A decimated team of workers enforcing rules against hate speech and other violating posts. A mass reporting campaign by right-wing activists targeting political opponents.

Under the chaotic changes unleashed by Elon Musk, Twitter users in the U.S. are confronting problems that have long plagued the social network in other parts of the world – and which are at risk of getting even worse under its new billionaire owner, according to human rights and freedom of expression advocates.

"It is not clear to me at all that Musk knows the kinds of liability he's creating with these sort of antics," said Thenmozhi Soundararajan, executive director of Equality Labs, which advocates for the rights of Dalits, the community at the bottom of India's caste hierarchy. "I think Musk lacks the cultural competency, he's not getting proper legal advice around this issue, and so he's endangering millions of people's lives just for his whims," she said.

While Musk hasn't publicly spoken about the implications of his vision for Twitter outside the U.S., activists and advocates point to a wealth of examples of how social media has enabled and exacerbated political, ethnic and religious conflicts, from genocide in Myanmar to mob killings in India to civil war in Ethiopia.

"The majority world, the global south, is an expert in all of these issues," said Mishi Choudhary, a lawyer and founder of the Software Freedom Law Center, an Indian digital rights organization. "I generally say that we have been watching the same reality TV show," she added, and "India is two or three seasons ahead" of the west.

Musk's recent announcement that he will grant many suspended Twitter accounts "amnesty," following an unscientific poll of Twitter users, is escalating alarm about how the platform could be abused. The company has already begun to reinstate some 62,000 accounts with more than 10,000 followers, according to the tech newsletter Platformer.

"Twitter and every other platform have always struggled to effectively enforce content moderation guidelines and other policies outside of the U.S. and especially in non-Western countries," said Shannon McGregor, a communications professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "They don't have enough people who understand the language and the culture and the politics to be involved in these things."

And that was before Musk laid off more than half of Twitter's staff, with teams outside the U.S. hit especially hard, and eliminated thousands of contractors, many of whom do the difficult daily work of monitoring millions of tweets. Hundreds more employees have resigned rather than commit to the CEO's call for a new "hardcore" Twitter.

Twitter's human rights team is gone. So is a group of investigators tracking state-backed domestic manipulation efforts in high-risk countries including Honduras, Ethiopia and India, according to a former employee. Its team fighting propaganda has been "radically reduced," the Washington Post reported.

Twitter, which has laid off its communications staff, didn't respond to NPR's questions for this story. 

Click on the link for the full article

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Why does Europe hate free speech?

Europe does have a vastly different interpretation of free speech.  Police in the UK will actually come to your house over a tweet they consider hate speech, and these days pretty much everything that isn’t accepting and welcoming of every possible inclusive stance on anything is labeled hate speech.  It’s absurd and Europe can take their version of free speech and shove it.  Americas version is a vastly superior stance for the government to take.  

read this helpful infographic and tell me you’d want this in the hands of bat**** DAs and cops in the US.  

https://www.hampshire-pcc.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Malicious-Comms-self-help-guide-Instigator.pdf

that said, Elon still has to deal with advertisers which have, and rightly so, a much different standard.  They have to be sensitive to unpopular speech because their customers might be.  Businesses aren’t looking to create a free society, they just want to move merch.  His so called free speech goal (read: right wing anger and conspiracy theories) isn’t going to work.  

• Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

well it just so happens my senior level networking class was run by a guy who worked on that.

and the guidance system for tomahawk cruise missiles 

those old guys loved to tell stories about what they worked on

people in Virginia **** on GMU but the CS department was full of smart people working on stuff for the government. It was a great location to be an academic researching for DOD projects. my AI professor was working on flockbots. This was. ****. 18 years ago. At the time it was a newer concept, now it’s the future of drones 

When I attended I believe it was ranked 44 in the country. Which is impressive (to me) when you consider the state alone has 3 other schools that should be ahead of it 

(jmu had/has a really good program too)

https://www.gmu.edu/news/2021-09/mason-department-computer-science-ranked-top-50-csrankingsorg

still top 50. Doesn’t say what ranking

buy found this interesting

says Rosenblum. “A deep dive into the rankings reveals several areas of strength, including a top 40 ranking in artificial intelligence (an area in which a third of our faculty are doing research) and a top-15 ranking in software engineering.” 

I’m not surprised by that quote at all. hands down the best professor I ever had at anything was my intro to AI professor. He inspired me to get into GA Tech for a masters in AI. Ranked like 4th  in the country at the time.  

life got in the way but I’ll always wonder if it didn’t. 

Hah that’s right Pullen was his name!!!

@Jabbyrwock

He teaches courses in computer networking and has been active in the research fields of distributed virtual simulation and distributed teaching environments.

That’s in his bio on IEEE if you click on it

i no **** was in his class the second or third time he was allowing his class to use his software to learn from home. I was remote learning back in 2006ish 😂

Our class project was to rewrite the network stack for it.  

that dude was so much fun to listen to. 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

Hah that’s right Pullen was his name!!!

@Jabbyrwock

That’s in his bio on IEEE if you click on it

i no **** was in his class the second or third time he was allowing his class to use his software to learn from home. I was remote learning back in 2006ish 😂

Our class project was to rewrite the network stack for it.  

that dude was so much fun to listen to. 

I was directed to his papers a couple of years ago by a guy up here that did work on ARPANET.  Really readable papers, so not surprised he was a good teacher.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

This is a good point and absolutely true, especially when it comes to building out production service provider style networks and systems infrastructure.

Probably 90% of the engineering nowadays is pure software and SaaS based. With new and emerging paradigms like edge computing, building it out is somewhat slow going at the moment, at least partially because there aren't many people who actually know how to do that stuff anymore.

Obviously ISP networks still exist, as do cloud datacenters, but those architectures are mostly set and expanding them is basically automated (I remember interviewing at Facebook many years ago and they were bragging about how they could literally deploy 20 rows of brand new full server racks into any datacenter in an hour with the push of a button.)

When I've been recruiting for initial members of my company finding ML engineers and coders is pretty easy (that doesn't necessarily mean they're really good, but there are lots of them to choose from). But finding people who actually understand how to build the underlying systems and network infrastructure has been hard as hell.

1 hour ago, Jabbyrwock said:

40 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I'm still partial to modern internet routing basically being invented on a couple of napkins from an IETF cafeteria.

https://computerhistory.org/blog/the-two-napkin-protocol/

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is a good point and absolutely true, especially when it comes to building out production service provider style networks and systems infrastructure.

Probably 90% of the engineering nowadays is pure software and SaaS based. With new and emerging paradigms like edge computing, building it out is somewhat slow going at the moment, at least partially because there aren't many people who actually know how to do that stuff anymore.

Obviously ISP networks still exist, as do cloud datacenters, but those architectures are mostly set and expanding them is basically automated (I remember interviewing at Facebook many years ago and they were bragging about how they could literally deploy 20 rows of brand new full server racks into any datacenter in an hour with the push of a button.)

When I've been recruiting for initial members of my company finding ML engineers and coders is pretty easy (that doesn't necessarily mean they're really good, but there are lots of them to choose from). But finding people who actually understand how to build the underlying systems and network infrastructure has been hard as hell.

I'm still partial to modern internet routing basically being invented on a couple of napkins from an IETF cafeteria.

https://computerhistory.org/blog/the-two-napkin-protocol/

Who the hell has the presence of mind to photocopy napkins !?!

• Haha 1