Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

If you gave **** you’d delete your Twitter account as soon as he did it, hope enough people follow suite, and hope whatever replaces it has a higher standard than money.

I don't have a Twitter account, and have never had one.  Same with Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and any other social media platform (unless ES qualifies).

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, China said:

I don't have a Twitter account, and have never had one.  Same with Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and any other social media platform (unless ES qualifies).

I didn’t mean you personally. 

i mean the general you. Our society. 

but I think forums qualify. It’s social media. Just smaller scale. And we have quality mods with solid rules which I think is why the people here, are here, and the content reflects it. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

does anyone actually believe giving six billion to the UN would end world hunger?  How much would they siphon before distributing anything and what size bribe would be required to receive aid or be chosen as the contractor to provide it? 

51 minutes ago, China said:

Devin Nunes says Trump won’t go back to Twitter if Musk buys it claiming his much mocked Truth Social has better engagement

Supporters of former president Donald Trump who are cheering Elon Musk’s bid to buy Twitter as a sign that the ex-president’s permanent ban from the platform may be lifted under new ownership will be disappointed to hear that he has no plans to return to the social network that helped fuel his unprecedented rise to the presidency.

According to ex-California representative Devin Nunes — who resigned from Congress to run Mr Trump’s own “Truth Social” platform — the twice-impeached ex-president isn’t so keen on reviving the Twitter account he used to bully world leaders, fire aides, and urge supporters to storm the Capitol while falsely claiming the 2020 election was stolen from him.

Speaking to Trump-friendly Fox Business Network host Maria Bartiromo, Mr Nunes said Mr Trump “really doesn’t have an interest in going on Twitter” and most likely wouldn’t want to return if the ban imposed on him following the 6 January 2021 attack on the Capitol is lifted.

Click on the link for the full article

I strongly doubt this creep left a seat in congress for this Truth bull****.  I think he felt the corruption investigation closing in and decided to take the first ticket out of town that offered a decent salary.  

23 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

does anyone actually believe giving six billion to the UN would end world hunger?  How much would they siphon before distributing anything and what size bribe would be required to receive aid or be chosen as the contractor to provide it? 

Copying my response to this in the Emerging Technologies thread:

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yea know, I believe UN feels different about this and the two sides aren't telling us everything:

“Whether WFP receives any of this money is yet to be seen, but I am excited to hear that Elon is engaged,” Beasley said. “This is an amazing and great first step.”

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marke****ch.com/amp/story/elon-musk-gave-more-than-5-million-tesla-shares-to-charity-after-teasing-possible-donation-to-fight-world-hunger-11644885144

I'm not buying that only $6 billion will solve world hunger, which is what Musk asked for.  These are huge historical international systemic issues causing this symptom we call world hunger, look at how much US spent to try and modernize the infrastructure and economies if Iraq and Afgahnistan alone. 

Are we talking about making sure people have food or attacking what's causing world hunger in the first place?  Because $6 billion sounds like it will help for some time then run out.

@Destino is right, though, it's not only not a lot of money, in the context of inevitable (even if not rampant) corruption, it wouldnt even be $6 billion going "directly to solving world hunger".

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Even more than he already does? Unpossible. 🤭

If Trump is allowed to return to Twitter there's zero chance he passes on the opportunity. 

Trump will 100% be back, but he's kind of jumped the shark on Twitter.  People tuned into his every word wondering what crazy **** he'd say next, but where do you go from "incite an actual ****ing insurrection"?  

I really look forward to him calling the do nothing democrats totally dishonest and not-very-smart  and totally overrated and blah blah blah I've heard it before. If his schtick were worth tuning into anymore his own social media network wouldn't be a complete failure.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Trump will 100% be back, but he's kind of jumped the shark on Twitter.  People tuned into his every word wondering what crazy **** he'd say next, but where do you go from "incite an actual ****ing insurrection"?  

He could finally shoot that person on Fifth Avenue he's been talking about for seven years. 

fonzie-shark-jumping.gif

2 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I hope he unbans Trump, everyday people need to see what a buffoon he is on a regular basis.

Yeah, that, the same way I really need to lick a dead wino's eyeball to see what it tastes like

• Haha 6

Looks like it's a done deal now:

Elon Musk acquires Twitter for roughly $44 billion

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/25/twitter-elon-musk-deal/

SAN FRANCISCO — Elon Musk acquired Twitter for $44 billion on Monday, the company announced, giving the world’s richest person command of a highly influential social media site that serves as a platform for political leaders, a sounding board for experts across industries and an information hub for millions of everyday users.

The acquisition followed weeks of evangelizing on the necessity of “free speech,” as the Tesla CEO seized on Twitter’s role as the “de facto town square” and took umbrage with content moderation efforts he views as an escalation toward censorship. He said he sees Twitter as essential to the functioning of democracy and said the economics are not a concern.

Ownership of Twitter gives Musk power over hugely consequential societal and political issues, perhaps most significantly the ban on former president Donald Trump that the site enacted in response to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Under the terms of the deal, Twitter will become a private company and shareholders will receive $54.20 per share, the company said in a news release. The deal is expected to close this year.

“Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated,” Musk said in the release. “I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans.”

“Twitter has tremendous potential — I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it,” he added.

This quote stuck out to me:

Musk‘s Twitter deal further expands his portfolio beyond rocket company SpaceX, which has aspirations of landing on Mars, and carmaker Tesla, which pushed electric vehicles into the mainstream.

“He’s more powerful than countries now,” said Ross Gerber, a Tesla investor close to Musk who said he had bought Twitter shares last week in hopes the deal went through. “He has the most important technology asset in America … probably one of the most strategic military assets in the world … and now he has one of the most important communications tools in the world.”

• Like 1

• Renegade7 changed the title to (Reuters) Twitter set to accept Musk's $43 billion offer..(Also: THIS IS THE UNOFFICIAL ELON MUSK THREAD)

@Destino, @Renegade7

I RTFA from the UN about  ending world hunger for $6B.  It would cover

42 million in the highest risk areas for one year.  The $6B would be for $4B or so to buy and deliver food and $2B for vouchers program. The UN WFP won a Nobel Peace Prize in 2020 and had a budget of $9B in 2021. 

The 10 countries with the biggest risk of starving populations: DR Congo, Yemen, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Venezuala, Haiti, Pakistan, Syria. 

I get that it's easier, more entertaining to be facetuous and cynical... but yes, $6B will put a dent in world hunger for 1 year for those 42 million human beings.  

I bet the UN programme has better "open source accounting" than Musk's companies.

I find today's billionaires and even multi-millionaires lacking so much in empathy and caring for the rest of the world that it burns me with a fire to read about this purchase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, tshile said:

well. I think you’re underestimating how hard that problem is. There are plenty of people trying to solve that problem across many platforms and they aren’t doing all that great 

but also generally speaking metrics on interactions (clicks, views, retweet’s, whatever) are what’s used to justify advertising price. Bots mean money. Which is why certain platforms have not done much or anything about the problem. 

they aren’t against filtering out this **** for moral reasons. They’re trying to balance ad revenue from both sides - things that spread like crazy and drive it up, and other advertisers pulling out because they don’t want to be involved in the cesspool. 

the only real way to hurt a platform is for its users to stop using it. They’re the product being bought and sold. So if they stop using it the whole thing grinds to a halt. 

Great idea except that's not how social media works. Social media have been engineered to be addictive, driven by misinformation, lies, demagoguery, pseudo science, sensationalism, and the like. Without some sort of intervention, the result will be the same as telling a heroin addict to just stop shooting the drugs. Ditto for other addictive things that remain unregulated. The key difference between social media and other addictive stuff is that booze, gambling, heroin, etc. aren't existential threats to democracy.

3 hours ago, Destino said:

I strongly doubt this creep left a seat in congress for this Truth bull****.  I think he felt the corruption investigation closing in and decided to take the first ticket out of town that offered a decent salary.  

Heavy on the cynicism, but it's certainly understandable. However, you've allowed yourself to get sidetracked from the core issue. This isn't about the efficiency of world hunger programs. The issue is actually that Musk is a lying sack of 💩. If he were serious, he would have responded to their proposal with accountability requirements and other management tweaks, and then coughed up the money. Instead, he ghosted them so this was little more than him trying to grandstand and getting called on his BS. As it relates to Twitter, I expect similar results. Cadet Bone Spurs will be reinstated, "free speech" will be restored to Twitter (translation - users will be freely allowed to use any slurs they like) and all the stuff about eliminating bots and open sourcing the algorithm, etc. won't be spoken of again or at the very least will fade away. Over time, as people with sense leave,Twitter will become the viable replacement for the platform Cadet Bone Spurs was trying to build. Thanks Elon. You worthless sack of dog vomit.

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Homelessness and hunger are unacceptable to me.   If the Rs want everyone off of public assistance, people need a roof over their heads, electricity for an alarm clock & access to laundry & shower facilities.  You know, the basic stuff. 

We're gonna have to go backward before we can move forward. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
clarify a word
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Homelessness and hunger are unacceptable to me.   If the Rs want everyone off of public assistance, people need a roof over their heads, electricity for an alarm clock & access to laundry & shower facilities.  You know, the basic stuff. 

We're gonna have to go backward before we can move forward. 

There is a forward looking solution to both!

soylentgreen.gif.eb4ff9ad8c523dd06fabfcb1c61946a2.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

@Destino, @Renegade7

I RTFA from the UN about  ending world hunger for $6B.  It would cover

42 million in the highest risk areas for one year.  The $6B would be for $4B or so to buy and deliver food and $2B for vouchers program. The UN WFP won a Nobel Peace Prize in 2020 and had a budget of $9B in 2021. 

The 10 countries with the biggest risk of starving populations: DR Congo, Yemen, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Venezuala, Haiti, Pakistan, Syria. 

I get that it's easier, more entertaining to be facetuous and cynical... but yes, $6B will put a dent in world hunger for 1 year for those 42 million human beings.  

I bet the UN programme has better "open source accounting" than Musk's companies.

I find today's billionaires and even multi-millionaires lacking so much in empathy and caring for the rest of the world that it burns me with a fire to read about this purchase.

I have a lot of respect for you what you do. So I'm gonna ask some questions to make sure I understand what you're saying.

Was Musk's question on how to solve world hungry or how to address it for a year?

Was the UN proposal based on needing 6 billion dollars a year, and for how long? 

How has it gone with respect to governments filling that need if Musk wont?