Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

So I take it you support holding Hillary accountable for the Russia facade that proved to be a nothing-burger?

Help me understand exactly what you’re saying here.  Do you mean we should make politicians making unsubstantiated accusations a crime?  

Also, it would help if Trump stopped kissing Putin’s ass publicly and hadn’t made sure records of his meetings with Putin either never existed or ceased to exist.  Maybe that’s a nothing-burger and he’s like that to all the tyrants he meets, or maybe Trump just has strong feelings for this particular tyrant.  Either way it’s definitely not a good look.  (And whatever Hillary said or didn’t say during a campaign, has nothing to do with what I’m saying here.)

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Destino said:

A continued ban from twitter doesn’t change anything in regards to the insurrection.  The government needs to find the courage to hold the powerful accountable, but they increasingly refuse to do that.  

I agree with the spirit of this.  The government absolutely needs to find the balls to hold powerful people accountable (Dan Snyder included, FWIW) but for various reasons they don't.  And that's shameful.  I don't want to sound like a vigilante here, but when the government fails to act in a situation such as this, the people have an obligation to police themselves.  

I do believe MC Ren has a point; Trump did use twitter as a way to help incite the 1/6 insurrection, there is no doubt about that and that's something that I didn't take into consideration when I was leaning no/I don't care earlier.  Letting him back on is problematic from that perspective.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Destino said:

Help me understand exactly what you’re saying here.  Do you mean we should make politicians making unsubstantiated accusations a crime?  

Also, it would help if Trump stopped kissing Putin’s ass publicly and hadn’t made sure records of his meetings with Putin either never existed or ceased to exist.  Maybe that’s a nothing-burger and he’s like that to all the tyrants he meets, or maybe Trump just has strong feelings for this particular tyrant.  Either way it’s definitely not a good look.  (And whatever Hillary said or didn’t say during a campaign, has nothing to do with what I’m saying here.)

You want a Hillary thread, start one, @Forever A Redskin.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

The government should end the subsidies not because Musk bought Twitter but because he's one of the richest men on the planet. That money should go to programs that actually help people in need. 🤷‍♂️

I see you're new to the USA...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Renegade7 changed the title to (Rueters) Twitter set to accept Musk's $43 billion offer..(Also: THIS IS THE UNOFFICIAL ELON MUSK THREAD)
28 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Eliminate bots?  Twitter is like 90% bots.

There are so many bots in Twitter that it's actually noticeable when they shift directions:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2022/mar/04/bot-holiday-covid-misinformation-ukraine-social-media

Elon is a technology guy, not a free speech scholar, fixing the bot issue seems more in his wheelhouse in terms things he can actually fix and also simultaneously know what he's talking about.

• Thumb up 1

Twitter can decide to let trump back on just like they decided to kick him off for using their platform to try to overthrow the government. 

and you can also choose whether you want to use Twitter or not. 

the government doesn’t have **** all to do with it. 

• Like 2

Devin Nunes says Trump won’t go back to Twitter if Musk buys it claiming his much mocked Truth Social has better engagement

Supporters of former president Donald Trump who are cheering Elon Musk’s bid to buy Twitter as a sign that the ex-president’s permanent ban from the platform may be lifted under new ownership will be disappointed to hear that he has no plans to return to the social network that helped fuel his unprecedented rise to the presidency.

According to ex-California representative Devin Nunes — who resigned from Congress to run Mr Trump’s own “Truth Social” platform — the twice-impeached ex-president isn’t so keen on reviving the Twitter account he used to bully world leaders, fire aides, and urge supporters to storm the Capitol while falsely claiming the 2020 election was stolen from him.

Speaking to Trump-friendly Fox Business Network host Maria Bartiromo, Mr Nunes said Mr Trump “really doesn’t have an interest in going on Twitter” and most likely wouldn’t want to return if the ban imposed on him following the 6 January 2021 attack on the Capitol is lifted.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Elon is a technology guy, not a free speech scholar, fixing the bot issue seems more in his wheelhouse in terms things he can actually fix and also simultaneously know what he's talking about.

well. I think you’re underestimating how hard that problem is. There are plenty of people trying to solve that problem across many platforms and they aren’t doing all that great 

but also generally speaking metrics on interactions (clicks, views, retweet’s, whatever) are what’s used to justify advertising price. Bots mean money. Which is why certain platforms have not done much or anything about the problem. 

they aren’t against filtering out this **** for moral reasons. They’re trying to balance ad revenue from both sides - things that spread like crazy and drive it up, and other advertisers pulling out because they don’t want to be involved in the cesspool. 

the only real way to hurt a platform is for its users to stop using it. They’re the product being bought and sold. So if they stop using it the whole thing grinds to a halt. 

• Like 1

I think buying Twitter for 43 billion is a stupid investment as social media platforms have risen and fallen one by one in the internet age.

(Granted, I bet he's borrowing almost all the money for it because wealthy people don't pay for anything.)

I could see him develop something to sustain it. I could see him being the world's (second) greatest Twitter troll. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

well. I think you’re underestimating how hard that problem is. There are plenty of people trying to solve that problem across many platforms and they aren’t doing all that great 

but also generally speaking metrics on interactions (clicks, views, retweet’s, whatever) are what’s used to justify advertising price. Bots mean money. Which is why certain platforms have not done much or anything about the problem. 

they aren’t against filtering out this **** for moral reasons. They’re trying to balance ad revenue from both sides - things that spread like crazy and drive it up, and other advertisers pulling out because they don’t want to be involved in the cesspool. 

the only real way to hurt a platform is for its users to stop using it. They’re the product being bought and sold. So if they stop using it the whole thing grinds to a halt. 

I'm not saying attacking the bot issue would be easy, saying that's something Elon wouldn't be talking out his ass about.

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

Twitter can decide to let trump back on just like they decided to kick him off for using their platform to try to overthrow the government. 

and you can also choose whether you want to use Twitter or not. 

the government doesn’t have **** all to do with it. 

Well, that is unless the DOJ suddenly starts to enforce the law.  Which, admittedly, it has not really done yet with regard to the insurrection.  I think providing a platform for people plotting to overthrow the government might qualify as a violation of 18 USC § 2383: 

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both

...as assisting or giving aid to the insurrectionists.  But I wouldn't expect the DOJ to enforce that against Twitter, seeing as they haven't enforced it against anyone else of significance.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, China said:

Well, that is unless the DOJ suddenly starts to enforce the law.  Which, admittedly, it has not really done yet with regard to the insurrection.  I think providing a platform for people plotting to overthrow the government might qualify as a violation of 18 USC § 2383: 

...as assisting or giving aid to the insurrectionists.  But I wouldn't expect the DOJ to enforce that against Twitter, seeing as they haven't enforced it against anyone else of significance.

you’re gonna have to deal with the fact that these companies basically have immunity against what their user base does. 

And you’re going to have to come up with a government that’s run by people that operate in the bounds of reality and care about things other than winning the next election. 

The doj won’t even go after the people who actually did it outside of some low level stooges no one cares about. What do they have a bunch of trespasses and a couple oath keepers? The committee will be disbanded before it does anything of significance. The DOJ isn’t moving fast enough. 

Trump will be back on Twitter. Nunes will look like an idiot for declaring he won’t return. And we’ll be left praying trump just doesn’t win another election, or one of his smarter yet equally as awful wannabes doesn’t.  And that’s gonna be a tough prayer to answer. 

If you gave **** you’d delete your Twitter account as soon as he did it, hope enough people follow suite, and hope whatever replaces it has a higher standard than money.

i give it <1% chance 

• Thanks 1

• Renegade7 changed the title to The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...