Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Dude is probably constantly tweeting how bad Elon Musk is and then is baffled that Elon Musk triggers him in his feed….

He's not wrong though. Elon's ego needed stroking after losing views so this happens. That said,  it's a much better experience for me when asshats like Elon are blocked. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Tbf, all you have to do is block him and he stops showing on either view.

I don't think that was the point lol...

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Dude is probably constantly tweeting how bad Elon Musk is and then is baffled that Elon Musk triggers him in his feed….

I don't think that was the point, either lol...

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

43 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I don't think that was the point lol...

I don't think that was the point, either lol...

Twitter, Facebook, YouTube recommend stuff that aligns with what you viewed, and interacted with. I bet it’s not the first 19 times he’s had something to say about Musk…..

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Twitter, Facebook, YouTube recommend stuff that aligns with what you viewed, and interacted with. I bet it’s not the first 19 times he’s had something to say about Musk…..

Still not the point.

The point is/was: there is no reason whatsoever for a large portion of someone's "For You" feed to be made up of one person's tweets on Twitter. I'm guessing that's why Musk ended up saying "Please stay tuned while we make adjustments to the uh .… ‘algorithm.’”

So the point was not that there are things you can do to not see them...or that anyone interacts with Musk's tweets a lot will see him on their "For You" feed...or being "triggered" or anything like that. The point was that it appeared (rightfully so) that the algorithm was somehow tweaked to promote Musk's posts a ****-ton more than before, and why that might have occurred.

Just now, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Still not the point.

The point is/was: there is no reason whatsoever for a large portion of someone's "For You" feed to be made up of one person's tweets on Twitter. I'm guessing that's why Musk ended up saying "Please stay tuned while we make adjustments to the uh .… ‘algorithm.’”

So the point was not that there are things you can do to not see them...or that anyone interacts with Musk's tweets a lot will see him on their "For You" feed...or being "triggered" or anything like that. The point was that it appeared (rightfully so) that the algorithm was somehow tweaked to promote Musk's posts a ****-ton more than before, and why that might have occurred.

The point is that’s what he thought was going on. Most likely it isn’t what is going on. He just keeps posting about Elon and magically Elon gets put into his feed. 

so that is my point. What you are saying happened might of happened, but kiss method is that he is just posting/reacting to Elon stuff a lot and that’s why it’s on his feed.

OTOH:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The point is that’s what he thought was going on. Most likely it isn’t what is going on. He just keeps posting about Elon and magically Elon gets put into his feed. 

so that is my point. What you are saying happened might of happened, but kiss method is that he is just posting/reacting to Elon stuff a lot and that’s why it’s on his feed.

OTOH:

That photo just further underscores the idea that the algorithm was tweaked to promote Elon's tweets far more lol...which (again) was the point of the tweet that started this asinine back-and-forth.

1. Report that Elon is frustrated with the significant drop in interactions to his tweets

2. Report soon after that Elon's tweets are now showing up en masse on people's "For You" page, even for people who don't follow the dude

3. Someone claims it's just because the guy--and apparently all the others reporting the same thing about their feeds--must be going overboard interacting with Musk, so the algorithm is doing its job

4. Everyone else claims 1 and 2 are related, or else this would have been happening all along and wouldn't be anything new

4b. well, unless all these people reporting Elon's tweets flooding their "For You" feed just started interacting with Musk over the weekend lol

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

OTOH:

I generally do agree with you on KISS/Occam's razor but given the absolutely insane way Elon is managing Twitter and some of the wild **** we've read about that has been going on there behind the scenes, in this case the KISS methodology might actually point to Elon either directly telling engineers to figure out a way to make his tweets appear to more people, or his engineers doing so on their own to avoid his wrath.

2 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

The point is/was: there is no reason whatsoever for a large portion of someone's "For You" feed to be made up of one person's tweets on Twitter

without knowing which algorithms are used for generating recommendations, it’s impossible to know. 

but I’ll tell you - as someone who knows a little about algorithms used in recommendation systems - that yea, it’s actually incredibly easy to wind up in a place where it does something like that. 

generally that would be considered a bad or weak system design in the context that generally speaking a good system design is one that achieves the intended results reliably, and this is not an intended result for a recommendation system. And “doing things poorly” seems to be the MO for Twitter these days. 

I find it incredibly possible they had junior people working on tweaks that probably require senior guidance on, but the seniors are gone, and they ****ed up the recommendation system. 

So like - for example - i find it incredibly easy to believe they made a mistake that causes a recommendation system to misread the idea that you view lots of tweets about musk, and follow people who tend to tweet lots of things about musk, and also probably have written some tweets about musk

and decide that means what you want, is for your entire feed to be nothing but musk, all the time. 

in fact I imagine if you ever spent any time with recommendation systems and combining algorithms plus ad hoc’ing it, you’ve made plenty of recommendation systems that are equally bad, and spent hours trying to figure out where you ****ed up and fixing it. Or not fixing it. Sometimes you throw it in the trash and go do something else. 

Edited by tshile
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

I believe this is actually the simplest answer and therefore the most likely 

Actually the simplest answer is "I don't know".  And generally speaking, it is also the most useful.

The second simplest answer is "Yes, I think I'll have another"...only marginally less useful than the first.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Actually the simplest answer is "I don't know".  And generally speaking, it is also the most useful.

The second simplest answer is "Yes, I think I'll have another"...only marginally less useful than the first.

Goddamn scientists always skulking about with their "ambiguity" and refusal to make definitive statements without sufficient evidence.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1