Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

No easy answers, but I'd like to avoid a war if possible. In general I prefer a laiseez-faire approach to things, but unfortunately the US is expected to always patrol foreign issues. 

Sucks that Putin doesn't recognize Ukraine's independence. I honestly don't see him invading though, he just wants to support these separatist regions to boost this so-called Russian pride and patriotism.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Word, I meant moving beyond those two regions. He will keep all troops there and refuse to move further into Ukraine. I hope.

Maybe not immediately but if he does get what he wants he's not going to stop until someone makes him. Not stopping him is just pushing the problem into the next generation where he or whoever eventually takes his place continues the behavior. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Maybe not immediately but if he does get what he wants he's not going to stop until someone makes him. Not stopping him is just pushing the problem into the next generation where he or whoever eventually takes his place continues the behavior. 

Putin and his press secretary already said they'd recognize the separatist regions' land borders based on their existing "constitution", and not simply the territory they currently occupy. Roughly 70% of the Luhansk/Donetsk territory is currently control by Kiev/Ukraine, so if Russia wants the entire territory, then it means war.

Russia's "peacekeepers" are already moving into those territories, and they're going to take it all.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Llevron said:

pretty sure this is what a lot of people said when he took Crimea on Obama’s watch.

Reading about all this makes me wish we lived in a world without borders. There is so much ethnic-clashing between groups and unspecified regions with no determined allegiance. People can group together and claim themselves a "republic" at any time and attempt to split from a country. It is all super complicated and frustrating.

1 minute ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

pretty sure this is what a lot of people said when he took Crimea on Obama’s watch.

(I don't know who said that during Obamas tenure, and I'm sure I said something different that what I am now, then)

Yea and they were clearly right.

Just now, abdcskins said:

Reading about all this makes me wish we lived in a world without borders. There is so much ethnic-clashing between groups and unspecified regions with no determined allegiance. People can group together and claim themselves a "republic" at any time and attempt to split from a country. It is all super complicated and frustrating.

We're still territorial primates. It'll be the downfall of our species if evolution doesn't kick into a higher gear. Hard not to be a bit fatalistic when you know your technological progress far exceeds your cultural evolution.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Putin and his press secretary already said they'd recognize the separatist regions' land borders based on their existing "constitution", and not simply the territory they currently occupy. Roughly 70% of the Luhansk/Donetsk territory is currently control by Kiev/Ukraine, so if Russia wants the entire territory, then it means war.

I bet the ambiguity there is intentional and used as a way to paralyze decision making. What worries me is that it works so well that someone with even worse intentions can use it if they learn from whats happening. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile...

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday called Vladimir Putin a "genius" after the Russian president made moves to take over parts of Ukraine.

"I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, 'This is genius,'" Trump recalled. "Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine -- Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful."

"I said, 'How smart is that?'" the former U.S. president continued. "And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s the strongest peace force… We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. There were more army tanks than I’ve ever seen. They’re gonna keep peace all right. No, but think of it. Here’s a guy who’s very savvy."

Trump praises Putin's 'genius' plan to invade Ukraine: 'You gotta say that’s pretty savvy' - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

****ing asshole.

24 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

i wish i could levitate pencils with my mind, too :) ... and teleportation!!   

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Meanwhile...

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday called Vladimir Putin a "genius" after the Russian president made moves to take over parts of Ukraine.

"I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, 'This is genius,'" Trump recalled. "Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine -- Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful."

"I said, 'How smart is that?'" the former U.S. president continued. "And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s the strongest peace force… We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. There were more army tanks than I’ve ever seen. They’re gonna keep peace all right. No, but think of it. Here’s a guy who’s very savvy."

Trump praises Putin's 'genius' plan to invade Ukraine: 'You gotta say that’s pretty savvy' - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

****ing asshole.

this clip perfectly encapsulates the two primary defining characteristics of the Oompah Loompah 

the first, the fact that he is an asshole is is his biggest selling point to his cucks.... the second, the fact that he is also a booger eating moron doesn't count as a negative to the same crowd.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Trump is one of the dumbest sons of ****es I've ever heard speak publicly. He's borderline illiterate.

Still, he'll typically come out and publicly display his stupidity and say something inflammatory when he's trying to cover up some other piece of news that's hitting. Something shiny for his inbred base to salivate over and distract them from some other piece of negative news coming out. I know some federal judges recently denied his petitions to prevent the Jan 6 commission from obtaining documents. Did something else happen he's trying to distract from?

edit: Ah, this could be it. Happened today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-supreme-court-january-6-committee-documents/

Washington — The Supreme Court on Tuesday turned away former President Donald Trump's legal fight with the House select committee investigating the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol, bringing an end to the former president's quest to stop investigators from accessing reams of documents from his final weeks in the White House.

Trump asked the high court in December to take up his appeal of a decision from the federal appeals court in the District of Columbia, which rejected his efforts to shield the documents from lawmakers and found Trump provided "no basis" for it to override President Biden's decision not to uphold his predecessor's claims of executive privilege over the records. 

Edited by ExoDus84

41 minutes ago, Llevron said:

(I don't know who said that during Obamas tenure, and I'm sure I said something different that what I am now, then)

Yea and they were clearly right.

I don't remember what you in particular said but I remember I, and a decent portion of people on here, said Obama wasn't doing enough to stop Putin and it would just embolden him further down the road.  And it looks like we were right.  Whenever critiquing Obama's time in office, Crimea is always one of the first things I bring up.

51 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Russia's "peacekeepers" are already moving into those territories, and they're going to take it all.

Putin confirmed the boundary is where the boundary is pre 2014, and the rebels have asked the Ukraine military to retreat. 

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Putin confirmed the boundary is where the boundary is pre 2014, and the rebels have asked the Ukraine military to retreat. 

Nice of them to ask first.

"Please leave your soveirgn territory so that we can easily take it over, k? Thnx!"

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Word, I meant moving beyond those two regions. He will keep all troops there and refuse to move further into Ukraine. I hope.

I remember people saying the same thing when he invaded and occupied part of Ukraine, previously. 

• Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Nice of them to ask first.

"Please leave your soveirgn territory so that we can easily take it over, k? Thnx!"

Man, there is so much at stake. It really seems our freedoms against the ropes. 

46 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Do we even understand? Is this east versus west, or man against man? 

34 minutes ago, Larry said:

I remember people saying the same thing when he invaded and occupied part of Ukraine, previously. 

but can any nation stand alone?