Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Ron Rivera's job be in jeopardy after the 2022 season?

MrJL

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

By that logic, Gibbs shouldve been fired after his 5-11 mark in 2006. But reality is that Joe was unfireable based on what he did for this team from 81-92.

I’m sorry, but did why would Snyder fire Gibbs after a lackluster 2006 season off the heels of their first playoff win since 99?  Gruden didn’t have the background or resume of Gibbs.  How do you come out in a must win game with lackadaisical effort in front of a rare packed home crowd?  Gruden was a mediocre coach, who shouldn’t have gotten to coach this team for 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I like Rivera, but we won't do better than winning 9 games with him. Might win 9 this year because of our easier schedule. We'll probably be at the bottom of the NFCE because of the new Giants HC hire. Doesn't matter anyways because Snyder is the one that does HC hiring and he's an idiot with no clue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I like Rivera, but we won't do better than winning 9 games with him. Might win 9 this year because of our easier schedule. We'll probably be at the bottom of the NFCE because of the new Giants HC hire. Doesn't matter anyways because Snyder is the one that does HC hiring and he's an idiot with no clue.

He does but as long as Joe Gibbs lives he will always consult with Joe before he hires the new HC or GM.

• Like 1

I think projecting what we view as logical factors for the length of Rivera's tenure as Washington's head-coach overlooks a key factor -- what is going on in Snyder's brain which, as you know, has produced some very unpredictable (and some would say "illogical) results.

I am often surprised by the choices made by Snyder/Washington F.O. -- so it's difficult for me to predict what they might decide about Rivera.  To me, it seems like Ron's been moving this team in the right direction -- but what does that count for in Snyder's thinking?

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

I think questions like these are too hard to answer until we see the opening day roster for the 2022 season.  There are too many factors that can happen between the start of training camp and the final game of the season (and/or playoff games) that take a lot out of the coach's hands. 

Rivera's first year was basically wasted by agreeing to give Haskins chance after chance at QB, 

This past offseason he pushed hard to get Stafford which, while it might still have not made the team a contender yet, probably easy gets them a few more wins which means they are in the playoffs.  

What if they improve to 10 wins in 2022 but miss the playoffs?   

I think right now all eyes are on the QB situation beyond anything else.  I really think the idea of "lets just run with who we got and build around them" is completely gone after the last two seasons.  You can't go into a third straight season head coach with no real answer or direction at the QB position.  Sure, you could draft someone and they don't end up being the caliber you hoped, but that is still showing an effort to address the position right now. 

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

I think projecting what we view as logical factors for the length of Rivera's tenure as Washington's head-coach overlooks a key factor -- what is going on in Snyder's brain which, as you know, has produced some very unpredictable (and some would say "illogical) results.

I am often surprised by the choices made by Snyder/Washington F.O. -- so it's difficult for me to predict what they might decide about Rivera.  To me, it seems like Ron's been moving this team in the right direction -- but what does that count for in Snyder's thinking?

honestly his efforts seem pretty consistent to me, it's just who he focuses those efforts on that ends up being wrong headed

3 hours ago, zCommander said:

Ron didn't botch the QB situation last year (2021). He was going off what our D could do and wanted a vet to lead the team. He was also not expecting Fitz to get hurt after 6 snaps. That is not a botch. 

The first year of Ron he couldn't go QB because he had to babysit Dan's son pick in Haskins. 

If it takes Ron 4 years to find the perfect QB then extend him another 5 years. 

Wrong.

Ron did botch it but he botched in 2020.

He should’ve told Dan, while he would give Dwayne a chance; he would bring a QB to compete for the starting job. He didn’t do that. Then ignored the getting a qb in 21 draft, because he didn’t want to give up assets.

Now in 22,  if he wants to get one of the qbs; he will have to give up assets. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I'll answer this question after I find out who our starting QB is for the season.

He's going to be a Snyder pick, and therefore he's not going to be a NFL-caliber starting QB.  Rivera is going to get one or two more seasons and then be fired for failing to win with Snyder's QB pick.  The next head coach will be picked based on how well Snyder thinks he can coach up that failed pick.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I think one of the factors will be Dan Snyder himself. If all of his controversies blow over I think he will feel freer about instituting a change. If lawsuits and the NFL are weighing him down, he may not want to get rid of the guy with the sterling rep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wrong.

He should’ve told Dan, while he would give Dwayne a chance; he would bring a QB to compete for the starting job. He didn’t do that. Then ignored the getting a qb in 21 draft, because he didn’t want to give up assets.

with this bunch, you won't have to give up assets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wrong.

How do you know it wasn't part of the hiring agreement to work with his boy toy Haskins? That is exactly what happened. The botch was on Dan and not on Ron.

• Like 1

Ron has Gibbs-like job security, even if only for reasons of optics and not performance.

The FO stuff is stuff that any functioning FO should be doing... and it's still not exactly great. The team name rollout was botched on sadly expected levels, Jason Wright is turning out to be more clownish than even expected and there will always be storm clouds over this team as long as Snyder is owner. Even he can't be stupid enough to realize how bad it would look to fire Ron.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Ron has Gibbs-like job security, even if only for reasons of optics and not performance.

The FO stuff is stuff that any functioning FO should be doing... and it's still not exactly great. The team name rollout was botched on sadly expected levels, Jason Wright is turning out to be more clownish than even expected and there will always be storm clouds over this team as long as Snyder is owner. Even he can't be stupid enough to realize how bad it would look to fire Ron.

This is the key, right here. At this point, hiring Ron is the one significant thing that Snyder can point to in order to say that things have changed. He needs Ron.

While the stadiums negotiations are underway, I wouldn't expect any major changes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Its not Snyder in the case why Ron would be on the hot-seat next year. It is pretty much just a conclusion you can draw from overall NFL history. Only thing that is specific to Dan here is whether or not he CAN hire a decent coach if he wanted to move on. The only coaching moves that Dan made that confused me was not firing Turner as his first move and then firing him mid-season. Further, if Dan is forced to sell, minimum wins for Ron is 11 or a deep playoff run.

Just realized Ron's job will NOT be in jeopardy AFTER the season. He will either do well enough to not be fired or he won't and it will likely be obvious to most everybody. Jeopardy implies that the decision is an open question. The only possible reasons that a negative result for Rivera is based on non-performance standards is if Snyder moves out of ownership. The only possible reason that a positive result for Rivera is based on non-performance standards is if Snyder believes it would be worse to move on.

BTW, it is not relevant who is responsible for the QB issue (it has been an issue since at least 1985, anyway). The head coach is accountable for the problems it causes.

6 hours ago, ntotoro said:

He shouldnt though. Performance should be paramount. If he bombs this QB search you would have a hard time selling the fan base on Ron getting an extension after the 2023 season. 

11 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Just realized Ron's job will NOT be in jeopardy AFTER the season.

Its not going to happen after this season unless Ron loses the locker room and they have a 2-3 win season. After the 2023 season should be the question. 

12 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

He shouldnt though. Performance should be paramount. If he bombs this QB search you would have a hard time selling the fan base on Ron getting an extension after the 2023 season. 

Its not going to happen after this season unless Ron loses the locker room and they have a 2-3 win season. After the 2023 season should be the question. 

Not saying he will be fired during the season but to be in jeopardy implies that a positive outcome is still possible at that point. After the season, he will either be fired or not fired. It is the 2022 season that decides a coach's fate. Every coach that still lead a mediocre non-expansion team in season 3 (with the exception of one) that was given at least one more year never was anything but mediocre. You don't wait until year four. Most successful coaches in NFL history took three or less years to turn a suck team into a winner.

On 2/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, MrJL said:

A lot of people seem to be expecting this without either a new QB or a really great season Rivera will be on the hot seat after this year.

I personally don't think this is likely at all.  It feels like so many fans are living back at the beginning of Snyder's tenure, where we had four coaches in five years; Norv, Marty, Spurrier with Terry Robiskie having a short interim run.  Since then Gibbs has gottern four years, Shanny has gotten four years, Gruden got five and change.  Only Jim Zorn and interim coach Bill Callahan have gotten less than four years.  I don't see Rivera breaking that trend.  And considering Gruden got five plus, I can buy Rivera getting to draft a QB in 2023 if no better options happen for us and Riverboat Ron having two more years

No, because Dan likes to give bad coaches as many years as possible.  Marty got canned fast, but Gruden was allowed 6 years of losing.  Rivera will have gone 0-3 on winning seasons, so Snyder will keep him for a couple more to prolong the misery.  If its a bad decision, Snyder will make it.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

20 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

No, because Dan likes to give bad coaches as many years as possible.  Marty got canned fast, but Gruden was allowed 6 years of losing.  Rivera will have gone 0-3 on winning seasons, so Snyder will keep him for a couple more to prolong the misery.  If its a bad decision, Snyder will make it.

So this is the issue I have.  Dan has a reputation of churning through coaches like they were candy, just firing them Willy Nilly.  It’s often said he’s had 10 HCs in his 20 years of ownership.  

But then when he gives Jay 6 years, he’s criticized for waiting too long. 

The problem is Dan doesn’t know who to hire.  And then doesn’t know how to empower them to do their jobs.  And then he doesn’t know how to evaluate them. 

This is really the first time we’ve had a situation where we know who is fully in charge.

Also, everybody needs to keep reminding g themselves that if Fitz hadn’t gotten hurt, we Most likely wouldn’t have had some of the worst QB play in the league for the majority of the year.  Even with the poor QB play and the regressing defense, they were in a position to push for the playoffs before COVID basically ended their season.  

There is context to everything. 

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So this is the issue I have.  Dan has a reputation of churning through coaches like they were candy, just firing them Willy Nilly.  It’s often said he’s had 10 HCs in his 20 years of ownership.  

But then when he gives Jay 6 years, he’s criticized for waiting too long. 

People are extremely fickle. They change their stances on things more often than they change their undies.

Jay got a longer time primarily due to money. His original deal was 4 years and after 2016 Dan followed the unwritten rule that coaches shouldn't be lame ducks and thus extended him through 2019. He probably could've let him go after 2017, but that would've meant having to pay 2 years of salary without Jay doing anything for it.

Unfortunate for Fitz to get hurt so early this season, but I'm glad we got a chance to see what we had with TH for the season.

• Like 1