Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- No Howell, No Way. Howell traded to the Seahawks. MarioTa vs Frommm battle for QB1

Koolblue13

We kind of have QB talk in every thread and it gets jumbled up and annoying. It's obviously the biggest missing piece on this team. 

How would you address the position moving forward. This year and next and down the road? 

Edited by Koolblue13
Turdy Pig

This year is a wash. Let's not even talk about it, really. TH is limited, and I think is limiting himself, which isn't going well.

Fitz is not a long term answer. He never was, and we knew that. But after the way he played in preseason and and his 15 or so minutes in the regular season, he looked terrible. I'm not even sure I want to see him on the field. Allen is a JAG that knows the system. Meh.

I'm not saying we tank, but I'd ride the season out with TH. At worst, he's a backup that can do some things when he uses his legs.

I think we know we need to get a good QB, to even have a chance. I don't watch enough college football to have a real feel on the QB position coming out, but from what others are saying, it's not a real strong class. But it still might be our only real option.

I don't see us being able to get a top tier FA to come here. We don't have the cred, or look like the Bucs. Loaded everywhere, but no QB. And the Dan factor.

Best case looks like to get real lucky in the draft and pick someone that just explodes, like Mahomes and Herbert did.

• Like 3

My guess is we'll go after a veteran. There should be a few available this offseason. We won't suck enough to get a QB prospect and this year's class is supposedly bad.

I'd prefer to find a super talented prospect and develop him but that's just not the Washington way.

1 minute ago, Reaper Skins said:

Fix it by fielding a defense that isn't horrendous.

If Heineke was playing the same way he is now with last year's defense,  no one would have a problem with him

He scored 13 points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, that had nothing to do with our defense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He scored 13 points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, that had nothing to do with our defense

Your asking how to fix the QB situation.  The solution is to hold your first rounders to a higher standard than an undrafted journeyman.  Our defense has allowed a score on like 90% of opening drives, forcing Heineke to always play from a hole.

The defense absolutely is the biggest problem preventing Heineke from succeeding, because it is forcing him to compensate for their terrible play week in and week out.  Take chances and try to make something happen because he knows they can't make a stop.

You said he only scored 13 points against KC.  He also scored 21 against the Bills after they shut out Rodgers, the Dolphins, and the Texans.  He's shown an ability to move the offense, but he can't be expected to carry the team.  The defense needs to not give up multiple 10 play, 90 yard drives every game

Edited by Reaper Skins

3 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Your asking how to fix the QB situation.  The solution is to hold your first rounders to a higher standard than an undrafted journeyman.  Our defense has allowed a score on like 90% of opening drives, forcing Heineke to always play from a hole.

The defense absolutely is the biggest problem preventing Heineke from succeeding, because it is forcing him to compensate for their terrible play week in and week out.  Take chances and try to make something happen because he knows they can't make a stop.

The defense had 3 turnovers and constantly kept the offense on the field through almost 3 quarters and Heinicke couldn't do **** against thee worst defense. 

Get out of here with the defense is responsible for the offense bull****. Heinicke has no arm left and teams are keeping him in the pocket. He's done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Reaper Skins said:

Absolutely not, its Heinicke physical limitations and now all the sudden timid playing style that is holding him back.  The defense is making certain games unwinnable, but that doesn't dictate his play the way you are claiming.

He's playing poorly right now, even when the defense was doing better in the first half against the cheifs.  That was a team he should've teed off on, and he didn't, and you're blaming our defense instead? Huh?

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The defense had 3 turnovers and constantly kept the offense on the field through almost 3 quarters and Heinicke couldn't do **** against thee worst defense. 

Get out of here with the defense is responsible for the offense bull****. Heinicke has no arm left and teams are keeping him in the pocket. He's done.

So the defense has had one good half in 5 weeks and they get a pass?

But despite the fact that Heineke put up more than 13 against the Saints, Bills, Giants and Chargers ( who everyone agrees are BETTER defenses than KC) he is suddenly inept?

I'm not saying he had a good game against KC.  It was his worst of the year.  But for him to be written off for that one performance while disregarding the rest of the season doesn't make sense to me.  Up until this week, everyone agreed that the defense is the worst part of the team.  Suddenly Heineke is the reason we're losing because the defense gets 3 gift-wrapped turnovers from Mahomes before giving up 3 straight TD drives in the second half?

And again.  Not saying Heineke can't be better or can't be upgraded on.  But we CAN win with him if the defense stops ****ting the bed.  The last 4 weeks they've given up 43, 34,33, and 31 points.  Any QB is going to have trouble consistently winning with that standard

Edited by Reaper Skins

I don't get the debate of Taylor Heinicke.  To me he has shown that he is a backup QB.  To me he is a decent backup, but others think he is a weak backup.  That said, its a waste of time to debate whether he ranks amongst backups when we probably all agree he is not the answer as the starter.

I would be patient.  If the staff evaluates a guy who they really like in the draft then by all means go after them.  If they are not in love with anybody I perfectly fine using a bridge like Fitzpatrick or Trubisky (or maybe even Daniel Jones if the Giants let him go).  Its unlikely any of those guys are the long term answer, but they are solid bridges, that allow us to be patient and do things right.  I think brining in Fitzpatrick was smart.   I don't think he looked great in his one quarter against  San Diego but I think he would have been a good bridge this year.  

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He's playing poorly right now, even when the defense was doing better in the first half against the cheifs.  That was a team he should've teed off on, and he didn't, and you're blaming our defense instead? Huh?

I do absolutely agree that the playcalling is not helping him at all.  They are literally cutting the legs out from under him by overusing screens and not letting him run at all.  Our playcalling has been way to predictable and easy for defenses to capitalize on.  

QB on a rookie contract is ridiculously valuable in today's NFL. 

So valuable we should draft a QB every season until we find one.

And then draft another one after we find one for the future.

I don't agree with trying to build and plug holes, that's outdated thinking. I'd trade 10 Jamin Davis' for a franchise QB. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

You said he only scored 13 points against KC.  He also scored 21 against the Bills after they shut out Rodgers, the Dolphins, and the Texans.  He's shown an ability to move the offense, but he can't be expected to carry the team.  The defense needs to not give up multiple 10 play, 90 yard drives every game

The mighty Dolphins and Texans, huh? Didnt the Titans jus light them up on MNF? If he's the franchise QB it's his job to carry the team.

What are we arguing about? This thread is about fixing the position, acknowledging that Taylor isn't the answer.  

You're saying we wouldn't be complaining about his play if he was the same and the defense was different,  I whole heartedly disagree, and so does the coaching staff, thats why they brought Fitz in.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The mighty Dolphins and Texans, huh? Didnt the Titans jus light them up on MNF? If he's the franchise QB it's his job to carry the team.

What are we arguing about? This thread is about fixing the position, acknowledging that Taylor isn't the answer.  

You're saying we wouldn't be complaining about his play if he was the same and the defense was different,  I whole heartedly disagree, and so does the coaching staff, thats why they brought Fitz in.

I'd say the first thing that needs to happen is some people need to pull their heads out of the Heini Hole and stop blaming the play of the defense and the plays that are being called on a QB who has hit his ceiling.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

So the defense has had one good half in 5 weeks and they get a pass?

No, im saying they don't deserve all the blame for Taylor's play like you are suggesting, thats different.

But despite the fact that Heineke put up more than 13 against the Saints, Bills, Giants and Chargers ( who everyone agrees are BETTER defenses than KC) he is suddenly inept?

I know you are watching the games, hes regressing, what are you doing, man?

I'm not saying he had a good game against KC.  It was his worst of the year.  But for him to be written off for that one performance while disregarding the rest of the season doesn't make sense to me.  Up until this week, everyone agreed that the defense is the worst part of the team.  Suddenly Heineke is the reason we're losing because the defense gets 3 gift-wrapped turnovers from Mahomes before giving up 3 straight TD drives in the second half?

No one is saying we are losing because of Taylor, quote me where I said that.  I'm saying he's not playing well and elsewhere said he needs to be benched because of it.  He's not improving, hes going backwards now.

And again.  Not saying Heineke can't be better or can't be upgraded on.  But we CAN win with him if the defense stops ****ting the bed.  The last 4 weeks they've given up 43, 34,33, and 31 points.  Any QB is going to have trouble consistently winning with that standard

Hes Stateline is starting to flatline, hes been figured out, and that would've happened even if we had last years defense.  We can't win with him anymore, it's over, and we are getting off topic, theres like 2 or 3 Heineke threads we can have this debate in.

@Koolblue13 to answer your OP, im not ready to say we should trade up for someone like Corral in this draft.  He HAS to prove hes worth that.

I'm against rookie QBs because we are terrible at developing them, but its in our best interest to have a franchise QB on a rookie contract compared to a quality veteran who's going to eat it all up.  

This offseason, get another veteran like we did Fitz and do our homework for next draft.  Give Rivera the full 5 years he needs to address the roster without getting desperate and missing on another rookie QB that will jus set us back. Get that right guy, not just a guy.

• Thumb up 2

We need to draft a QB period, If we draft one in 2022 I have no problem rolling forward with TH4 and Kyle Allen next year and eventually he should be able to come in and play mid season 2022....if we go out and trade for a QB or sign a VET bandaid we are just asking for mediocrity, If the QB we draft in 2022 doesn't end up working out then rinse and repeat, it takes hard work to find a young franchise qb and we need to be willing to put in the work after too many debacles at this position, trust me it will end up paying off in the end the juice will be worth the squeeze. 

Preface: None of the QBs on the roster are long-term viable starters.  TH is massively limited physically, Kyle Allen is less limited, but still limited, and Fitz is 8,374 years old.  

1. I don't think we're going to have to trade up to get a QB.  By the end of the season, we're going to have <=4 wins, and we will be picking in a position to pick just about whoever we want.

2. I am not a college football guy, so I really don't know, but the QB class this year seems ... timid.  There is always one franchise QB in every draft, so who knows. But it doesn't seem like a very deep draft.

3. I'm not sure I would try and draft a franchise QB.  The odds of hitting on one are really long, even at the top of the first round.  For every Herbert there is a Tua.  Luck and Griffin were both supposed to be can't miss prospects.  Luck was really good, but he is already out of the league for injury reasons.  It hasn't even been 10 years.

4. I would go "all-in" on a top-line veteran.  The only three I can think of that might be available are Rodgers, Wilson and Watson. Wilson would be a no-brainer.  If Rus is available, you go get him.  He's younger than Rodgers, and has less baggage than Watson.  The only knock on Rodgers is his age.  But he still owns the Bears.  As he told us.   Assuming Watson is cleared, I'd absolutely go for it, and to hell and beans with the noise that comes with it.  Michael Vick KILLED DOGS.  Do you know what every person in the country can agree on?  DON'T KILL DOGS. Guess what?  He did his time and then landed in Philly, and had a revival.  I get that it's not exactly the same thing, and with the sexual harassment investigation, it wouldn't be a good look.  But at this point, I don't care.  ASSUMING HE IS NOT GUILTY.  If he is guilty, then he won't be available, he'll be in jail.  

5. If you can get Rodgers for 3-4 years, you do it.  Period.  Then you mortgage the future, trade future draft picks and spend all the cap room you have and try and win the SB every year while he's still able to play.  When he's gone, you will suck. But you suck now.  So shrug.

So, I'd go (in order) 1. Wilson, 2. Rodgers, 3. Watson.  If you can't get any one of them, then you have to see what you can draft and compare that against the Matt Ryans of the world, who might be available, and are a complete upgrade, but also not young.  

Wilson is only guy id consider trading for, but even then, that trade is going to hurt from draft pick standpoint.  If we are truly rebuilding, we shouldn't do that, are we really a QB away with the way our back 7 is play right now?  I'd hate to be in a situation where we can't fully address that, then asking Wilson to save us, thats what he's already going through in Seattle, they can't stop anyone.

• Like 1