Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- No Howell, No Way. Howell traded to the Seahawks. MarioTa vs Frommm battle for QB1

Koolblue13

Saw that the 2019 #1 pick (Kyler Murray) and the 2020 #1  pick (Joe Burrow) currently lead the #1 seeds in each conference.  It turns around quick if you get your QB.  None if this "think the rest of the team is strong so just try to get by with journeymen" nonsense.  

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Saw that the 2019 #1 pick (Kyler Murray) and the 2020 #1  pick (Joe Burrow) currently lead the #1 seeds in each conference.  It turns around quick if you get your QB.  None if this "think the rest of the team is strong so just try to get by with journeymen" nonsense.  

God why couldn't we lose one more game in 2019. Just one and we could have gotten Joey Burrow.

• Like 1

I just don’t see how we get one of the top QB prospects in the draft. We will do just enough to win games this season to the point of picking borderline outside the top 10. And two or three are going to be loaded with picks to outbid any kind of trade up.

I hope Watson gets traded this week and we can get an inside track on Tua. I’d take that relatively low value risk.

Outside of that, we maybe have to consider cashing in our 2022 value picks to stockpile for a run at a #1 prospect in 2023. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And they went and got his favorite target, instead of a LT and took a lot of heat for it. Now those two look unstoppable. 

Yup. I was wrong on Chase. Not that I didn't think he would be a good player. But I thought they should go LT.

• Like 1

They also got bright young head coaches who are former QBs and understand the position, how to coach it, and who are fully committed to their QB prospect's development.  And they are loaded up on weapons to facilitate the growth and success of their prospects.

We can get the QB prospect this off-season, but they're going to fail without the two other ingredients in the recipe.  And make no mistake, we lack those too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Like I've been saying it wouldn't shock me if they traded for Matt Ryan if they could get him cheap.  I wouldn't hate if they also drafted a guy.  I am becoming a believer that they need to perhaps get a veteran AND a rookie.

No, they've lost the credibility to hedge.  They need to pick one QB, one plan, and make it work.  Constantly hedging means they just waffle and quick hook their quarterbacks and absolutely no one can thrive in that situation.  This staff does not have the patience, vision, foresight, discipline or whatever to successfully coach the position when they have multiple options.  They will abandon plan after the first moment of adversity.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No, they've lost the credibility to hedge.  They need to pick one QB, one plan, and make it work.  Constantly hedging means they just waffle and quick hook their quarterbacks and absolutely no one can thrive in that situation.  This staff does not have the patience, vision, foresight, discipline or whatever to successfully coach the position when they have multiple options.  They will abandon plan after the first moment of adversity.

Why are you so down on Turner and Zampese?

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Why are you so down on Turner and Zampese?

Turner is an awful play caller and coach who was a nepotism hire and his offense was worst in the NFL last year and bottom third this year.  And I get the feeling from watching that the only reason its not bottom barrel again this year is because of the two games where Heinicke's backyard football nonsense improvisation worked pretty well.

If Zampese is a good coach, I don't know that it's having any impact.  It's undetectable in the on field results.  But the success of a quarterback is facilitated by the decisions that happen above the pay grade of the QB coach.  The work of a great QB coach will be wasted by bad OC and head coaching and bad GMing.

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think its the coaches who don't have patience and discipline to do it.  They've done it before.  They inherited Haskins, they didn't draft him, apples to oranges.   They pursued Stafford aggressively.  The only hedging they did was in the draft where they were interested apparently in a prospect or two but they weren't willing to give up major draft capital for them.  

I think its some of the fans-media who don't have the patience and in turn potentally our emotional high strung owner.  Heck Rivera even joked about Dan's lack of patience in his intro press conference.   For example, we got people thinking Fields and Lance are busts already after a few games.    Can fans sit through some growing pains for a QB?  Some are already out on Chase Young.  :ols:

I am a big Matt Corral guy.  But do I think he will take the league by storm from the jump?  Nope.  I would hazard a guess that I put more matertial on the draft board than anyone by a mile about why I think Mac Jones will be a good QB in the NFL, I didn't think he'd be great but good.  So I immersed myself plenty in Mac.  I watched most of his games including some in person.  It doesn't shock me that he hit the ground running.  I've not dived into Corral as much but from what I've seen I like his upside better than Mac but I do think Mac is more pro ready.  

The other guys i am less sure about, Willis is a freak as a runner but I am still digesting the passer.  Pickett has gotten better as his career progressed, he's intriguing, but I am not ready to say yet that I am 100% sold.  Howell I go back and forth on.  Ditto Ridder.  Ditto Strong.

I think the thing that some miss is if Rivera fails this franchise will likely be in even deeper trouble. I think he'd be the last of the Mohicans.  This wouldn't be Danny's first divorce.  It would be akin to someone considered a really high maintenance spouse who now is on their 6th marriage and is living in some low rent trailer.  If this marriage fails, good luck on our end finding the next guy.  We will be fishing the bottom of the barrell.  This isn't our 2010 Redskins.  The 2021 version is way deeper down the ditch.  Much more water under the bridge.   Rivera is well respected around the league.  Our owner to say the least isn't.   

So my fingers are crossed big time that this crew can figure this out.  Sounds like you don't like the idea of doubling up at QB with a veteran AND rookie.  I am OK with it.  But its not a big deal to me one way or another, the big deal for me is drafting that QB.   But no hedging as you call it doesn't bother me because I don't see it as hedging.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

This team has zero choice but to draft a quarterback after running fools errands attempting to trade for Rodgers or WIlson.  

After last season, I convinced myself that we might have some fun with Fitz this year.  However, it's never been more abundantly clear that we absolutely have to draft a QB and do whatever it takes to get the right guy.

If they trot out Matt Ryan to start the season, I think that will finally be the nail in my fan coffin - as far was watching every Sunday.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This team has zero choice but to draft a quarterback after running fools errands attempting to trade for Rodgers or WIlson.  

After last season, I convinced myself that we might have some fun with Fitz this year.  However, it's never been more abundantly clear that we absolutely have to draft a QB and do whatever it takes to get the right guy.

If they trot out Matt Ryan to start the season, I think that will finally be the nail in my fan coffin - as far was watching every Sunday.

Watson is the only guy I would quit this team over.  Like actively never watching them again and rooting against them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think its the coaches who don't have patience and discipline to do it.  They've done it before.  They inherited Haskins, they didn't draft him, apples to oranges.   They pursued Stafford aggressively.  The only hedging they did was in the draft where they were interested apparently in a prospect or two but they weren't willing to give up major draft capital for them.  

I think its some of the fans-media who don't have the patience and in turn potentally our emotional high strung owner.  Heck Rivera even joked about Dan's lack of patience in his intro press conference.   For example, we got people thinking Fields and Lance are busts already after a few games.    Can fans sit through some growing pains for a QB?  Some are already out on Chase Young.  :ols:

I am a big Matt Corral guy.  But do I think he will take the league by storm from the jump?  Nope.  I would hazard a guess that I put more matertial on the draft board than anyone by a mile about why I think Mac Jones will be a good QB in the NFL, I didn't think he'd be great but good.  So I immersed myself plenty in Mac.  I watched most of his games including some in person.  It doesn't shock me that he hit the ground running.  I've not dived into Corral as much but from what I've seen I like his upside better than Mac but I do think Mac is more pro ready.  

The other guys i am less sure about, Willis is a freak as a runner but I am still digesting the passer.  Pickett has gotten better as his career progressed, he's intriguing, but I am not ready to say yet that I am 100% sold.  Howell I go back and forth on.  Ditto Ridder.  Ditto Strong.

I think the thing that some miss is if Rivera fails this franchise will likely be in even deeper trouble. I think he'd be the last of the Mohicans.  This wouldn't be Danny's first divorce.  It would be akin to someone considered a really high maintenance spouse who now is on their 6th marriage and is living in some low rent trailer.  If this marriage fails, good luck on our end finding the next guy.  We will be fishing the bottom of the barrell.  This isn't our 2010 Redskins.  The 2021 version is way deeper down the ditch.  Much more water under the bridge.   Rivera is well respected around the league.  Our owner to say the least isn't.   

So my fingers are crossed big time that this crew can figure this out.  Sounds like you don't like the idea of doubling up at QB with a veteran AND rookie.  I am OK with it.  But its not a big deal to me one way or another, the big deal for me is drafting that QB.   But no hedging as you call it doesn't bother me because I don't see it as hedging.  

I don't know how connected EB is from The Junkies but he said emphatically this morning, this coaching staff is not enamored with any QB's in the up coming draft.  Maybe that changes but we'll see.

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I don't know how connected EB is from The Junkies but he said emphatically this morning, this coaching staff is not enamored with any QB's in the up coming draft.  Maybe that changes but we'll see.

Finlay said the same, maybe that's who they got it from.   The two though I trust the most as sources are Keim and Standig, I'll see what they say.  I know Keim has said he expects them to be really aggressive in the off season at QB.   A veteran would make sense but whom?  I'd love it to be Aaron Rodgers but I'd be surprised if he wants to come here. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not even sure the Falcons can trade Ryan due to his contract

I used to think that when it came to players like Wentz and Goff but then it happened anyway.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 4 YR, $117,549,824; $40,525,000 DEAD CAP

2022 Contract details by year 37 $16,250,000 $9,300,000 $7,500,000 $2,000,000 $13,612,500 $48,662,500 $40,525,000 $23,750,000($141,299,824)
2023 Contract details by year 38 $20,500,000 - $7,500,000 $2,000,000 $13,612,500 $43,612,500 $15,612,500 $28,000,000($169,299,824)
2024 Free Agent Year 39 UFA
  • Like 1

Russell brought this up with a Packers beat reporter on his show last week.  Russell's take is that Ron is a Cal guy, like Aaron, same with Mike Silver.  He thinks they will push very hard to bring him in.  The Packers beat reporter tried to be as polite as possible in shooting that down.  He didn't shoot down that Rodgers could be leaving GB, but gave the same reasoning as the rest of us for why if he were to leave, it wouldn't be Washington, Cal connections or not.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m not sure at all why Rodgers would choose to come here. Just can’t see the logic in that move one bit.

Did you see the look on his face when we spiked it to try for a meaningless score at the end of the game?

If there was ever a face that said “I’d retire before playing for a team that does that” that was it.