Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- No Howell, No Way. Howell traded to the Seahawks. MarioTa vs Frommm battle for QB1

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, samy316 said:

This.  Ron has always been clueless when dealing with the QB position.  With the National Media, it's not them crapping on Howell, it's them realizing that Rivera is a putz when it comes to making decisions about the QB.  Let's not forget how he got skewered for the Wentz trade last year, when everyone in national & local circles saw that it was a terrible move.  Then, Ron decides for some reason to go back to Wentz, in a game that determined our season vs. the Browns.  Now, he wants to go all in on a 5th Round QB with 1 start to his name and 19 pass attempts, in a season that could determine his fate, and most likely seal it.  Ron & Co. have very little credibility left when dealing with the QB position, so naturally the media is going to be skeptical (rightfully so) of any moves this team makes at QB going forward.  The National Media will roast this team next year, if we get off to a 2-5 or 1-6 start, and Howell is benched, with Brissett seeing starting time, or if Howell doesn't even make it to starter, and we have to play Brissett for a full season.  It will once again show that this team is clueless regarding the most important position in sports. 

Who’s not a “putz” relating to the QB? 

Total crapshoot for the majority at the present time. Separation does appear to take place in form of coaches adapting schemes to players. This is still a relatively new concept for coaches lol

I like the model of remaining lean and firing many shots at the position as possible. 

It’s interesting, Ron catches a lot of heat for not landing a QB, but I appreciate his efforts to date and willingness to adapt and evolve. Not ego driven it seems. The current model is what I’ve been championing for years, so I’m thrilled. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

Lamar made a mistake IMO and overvalued himself after 3 str8 years of injury plagued seasons. Bmore offered him a great deal with the $133 million guaranteed. Not sure why he didn't roll with it unless he just wanted out of Bmore. This team can't afford to take a risk that big with all the other stuff going on. Rolling with Howler and Brisket is a good plan and I am all in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Lamar made a mistake IMO and overvalued himself after 3 str8 years of injury plagued seasons. Bmore offered him a great deal with the $133 million guaranteed. Not sure why he didn't roll with it unless he just wanted out of Bmore. This team can't afford to take a risk that big with all the other stuff going on. Rolling with Howler and Brisket is a good plan and I am all in. 

Of all the dudes who are elite, he ain’t the one that should be challenging the owners. Respect to the gumption, but he ain’t getting what he wants.

Neither was Kirk Cousins ;) lol

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

There are groups on national radio banging the "new owner should chase Lamar" drum even harder after reports of 6 Billy on the table for the team. Just open questioning how you can pay that much for a team and then choose to stand pat at QB.

They are all being stupid. There is no way the Ravens are letting Lamar come here under any circumstance.  They lose the most popular player in MD and VA to the cross town rival.  It’s just never going to happen.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They are all being stupid. There is no way the Ravens are letting Lamar come here under any circumstance.  They lose the most popular player in MD and VA to the cross town rival.  It’s just never going to happen.  

I'm like 95% confident we are the only team that could give him a fully 5 year G deal and the Raven's would match it just to avoid that scenario.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, srtman04 said:

I think Jackson's biggest issue is his injury history.   He is injury prone and it's an expensive gamble on that....one we cannot afford to make.  

Yeah this team would be retarded to do an RG3 all over again while paying him 45M a year. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think we'll see a repeat of Snyder's first year as an owner.

The new guys just let things operate as usual and then axe 85% of the team in year 2 of their reign.

That includes our "GM", the entire FO, RR obviously, QBs, and trade some players of our stacked D for a bunch of key draft picks.

Edited by El Mexican

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

There are groups on national radio banging the "new owner should chase Lamar" drum even harder after reports of 6 Billy on the table for the team. Just open questioning how you can pay that much for a team and then choose to stand pat at QB.

Yep whether fans like it or not, I don’t see a new owner dropping a 6B investment and rolling with a novice QB. Not without chasing the big prize anyway. That seems like a borderline given certainty to me.

Even Rivera made a reference to that in interview really. He is clearly hesitant on what a new owner will want and you can tell some financial/contract related decisions are pending/on hold because of that. 

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

It’s clear Mayhew and Rivera have a strategy that is Howell / Brissett in the QB room, keep costs down at that position, invest elsewhere on the roster. Fine by me.

They both reiterated that point. I suspect it’s because they expect a new owner to have a different view on who their tenure as owner should start with under center. I’m fine with that too.

• Thumb up 3

In another words:

Howell is QB1

Brissett is QB1A

3rd Stringer is QB1B and so forth. 

Or the coach is not going to say who the starting QB is until after the pre-season. A lot can happen between now and then though. Taking the comments Ron made with grain of salt. 

On 3/28/2023 at 3:01 PM, samy316 said:

This.  Ron has always been clueless when dealing with the QB position.  With the National Media, it's not them crapping on Howell, it's them realizing that Rivera is a putz when it comes to making decisions about the QB.  Let's not forget how he got skewered for the Wentz trade last year, when everyone in national & local circles saw that it was a terrible move.  Then, Ron decides for some reason to go back to Wentz, in a game that determined our season vs. the Browns.  Now, he wants to go all in on a 5th Round QB with 1 start to his name and 19 pass attempts, in a season that could determine his fate, and most likely seal it.  Ron & Co. have very little credibility left when dealing with the QB position, so naturally the media is going to be skeptical (rightfully so) of any moves this team makes at QB going forward.  The National Media will roast this team next year, if we get off to a 2-5 or 1-6 start, and Howell is benched, with Brissett seeing starting time, or if Howell doesn't even make it to starter, and we have to play Brissett for a full season.  If Lamar Jackson gets traded to the Patriots for example, and kills it there, and New England wins 11-12 games and gets to the playoffs, then this team (and any other team that passes on Jackson) will be a laughing stock.  It will once again show that this team is clueless regarding the most important position in sports. 

Why would we not go all in on Howell?  He has all the tools.  Howell is different than someone like Hienicke or Purdy.  Howell actually has first round arm talent.  What he did in the season finale was not a fluke.  We are better off building around Howell than paying Lamar 1/4 of the teams total salary.  Lamar will never win a Superbowl unless he drops his ego.  Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are the only 3 QBs worth a ridiculous salary.  

1 hour ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

What in the hell does QB1A mean? "A" would mean Brissett is QB1.

Never heard of this kind of rankings. Since there are only 2 QBs on the roster, I understand it the same way Brissett is QB1A and Howell 1B.

;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Why would we not go all in on Howell?  He has all the tools.  Howell is different than someone like Hienicke or Purdy.  Howell actually has first round arm talent.  What he did in the season finale was not a fluke.  We are better off building around Howell than paying Lamar 1/4 of the teams total salary.  Lamar will never win a Superbowl unless he drops his ego.  Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are the only 3 QBs worth a ridiculous salary.  

How can you say that definitively?  Let me stress this again, HE"S ONLY THROWN 19 PASSES AS AN NFL QB.  We don' know ANYTHING yet, with regards to Howell's future prospects.  You need at LEAST one season (more like 1 and 1/2 seasons) to fully gage a QB's progress, and if they will turn out to have a worthy NFL career, or end up a bust.  Comparing Howell to Purdy is also insane to me, because while Purdy was great in his starts with SF, a lot of credit has to go to one of the best offensive minds in football in Kyle Shanahan.  Purdy wouldn't be anywhere near successful with out Kyle Shanahan as an HC, even with that loaded roster.  By the way, SF has a top 3 TE in George Kittle, which also helped Purdy out immensely.  We don't know yet whether or not EB will be a great playcaller on his own without Andy Reid, and we DAMN sure don't have a TE anywhere near the caliber of Kittle.  So the Purdy comparison falls short.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, samy316 said:

How can you say that definitively?  Let me stress this again, HE"S ONLY THROWN 19 PASSES AS AN NFL QB.  We don' know ANYTHING yet, with regards to Howell's future prospects.  You need at LEAST one season (more like 1 and 1/2 seasons) to fully gage a QB's progress, and if they will turn out to have a worthy NFL career, or end up a bust.  Comparing Howell to Purdy is also insane to me, because while Purdy was great in his starts with SF, a lot of credit has to go to one of the best offensive minds in football in Kyle Shanahan.  Purdy wouldn't be anywhere near successful with out Kyle Shanahan as an HC, even with that loaded roster.  By the way, SF has a top 3 TE in George Kittle, which also helped Purdy out immensely.  We don't know yet whether or not EB will be a great playcaller on his own without Andy Reid, and we DAMN sure don't have a TE anywhere near the caliber of Kittle.  So the Purdy comparison falls short.

I may not have been clear.  I was trying to say that Howell isn't limited like other late round pick.  Players like Hienicke and Purdy are small framed and weak arms.  Howell is bigger, stronger, and quicker.  Howell was first round worthy.  He actually showed up to the draft night 1.  

• Like 1

Ron has to win -- no more classic 500 Ron -- in order to survive. He has to know this.  

For this reason, barring Sam looking head and shoulders better in camp, I'm thinking Ron will pivot to Jacoby as we get closer to opening day.

And yes, the Howell comparison to Purdy was stupid. Different players in different situations. Sigh. 

Edited by Hooper

On 3/28/2023 at 5:33 PM, FootballZombie said:

Because, at this point, you are NOT going to be able to fire Rivera. There is only 1 scenario were such a move is great and that has rarely happened. If Lamar is about what he's been for Baltimore, you will then have a coach who is going to be hard to fire and you have a good chance of condemning your team to another 3-5 years of mediocrity (though it may be more fun than the last 3 and maybe you get to be the new Dallas Cowboys, going to the playoffs but doing that 1 and done thing). If the signing is a fail, you'll have no resources and have the new coach and he'll be forced to take a QB he may not want.

Watson? I bet the Browns will be the AFC-North basement guys for the next several years.

Wilson?  So far that looks like a fail.

Stafford?  Rams were above average to elite (albeit, just once) for the 4 years before he was acquired. They had the resources and, personally, I don't know if what they did was worth it.

Brady? A true FA, there was 0 downside risk for the Bucs (at least as close to 0 downside risk as you can get in the NFL).

History suggests that you get your QB organically, a guy that everyone thinks is a has-been and thus is cheap or you already are near elite.

Finally, data indicates that the only predictive measure (about 99%) of a QB developing is either the HC,  OC or the QB coach.  The team does fail this year, you'll more likely have the resources and opportunity to get your guy organically.