Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- No Howell, No Way. Howell traded to the Seahawks. MarioTa vs Frommm battle for QB1

Koolblue13

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the main thrust of the debate, and what @Koolblue13 basically referenced, is...what exactly was your solution?

Did you have one? Or are you mostly just ****ing and moaning because He Who Must Not Be Named is gone?

Nah. I'm just frustrated by the snails-pace this organization functions when trying to solve the most critical position in sports.

Howell must have some huge cojones to have impressed RR and Co. that much with just a sample of passes in a real NFL game. 

Either that or as some of you guys believe we'll go for yet another QB in this year's draft.

12 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Nah. I'm just frustrated by the snails-pace this organization functions when trying to solve the most critical position in sports.

Howell must have some huge cojones to have impressed RR and Co. that much with just a sample of passes in a real NFL game. 

Either that or as some of you guys believe we'll go for yet another QB in this year's draft.

Umm, we’d all like a franchise QB.

How exactly do you suggest he go about acquiring one?

16 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

But I'm still trying to figure out what your preferred solution was. We don't have a top draft pick, it would be incredibly costly to trade up, no top flight FA or tradeable QB would agree to come here given the current circumstances, and the rest of the QB FA market was pretty dry.

That's why people are saying you're just whining, because you keep complaining about the same stuff but you don't actually given any ideas on how you'd like to see it solved.

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

no top flight FA or tradeable QB would agree to come here given the current circumstances.

How do you know that? A guaranteed contract is a guaranteed guarantee no matter who's the owner. Everybody knows our situation and just yesterday, Washington was a popular choice of teams that should be giving Lamar a call. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think some of you are too quick to comment on a player without having sufficient background knowledge to do so and this does not just pertain to Sam Howell, who was an absolute steal in the draft. 

It's going to be a great competition between Sam & Jacoby and I've no idea how it will shake out in the end but IMO we will have 2 quality QB's on the roster and we should be content, for now. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

How do you know that? A guaranteed contract is a guaranteed guarantee no matter who's the owner. Everybody knows our situation and just yesterday, Washington was a popular choice of teams that should be giving Lamar a call. 

Because there's zero evidence to the contrary. We've swung many times over the past several years on big time trades or FA QBs and none of them wanted to come here. You really think it was only because of the money?

We've also read reports that we were never on any of those QB's short lists and that, in general, there is a feeling around the league that this is not a good place to come.

And how exactly was Washington a "popular choice of teams that should be giving Lamar a call"? According to who? Random Twitter opinions from people with zero sources?

There's plenty of evidence that big name QBs don't want to come here, and basically none that they do.

• Thumb up 2

37 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Even if I entertain the idea that Lamar would be willing to come here, it would require two first round picks and a record breaking amount of guaranteed money to lure him here.

They really don’t have the ability to do that, nor should they.  

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Because there's zero evidence to the contrary. We've swung many times over the past several years on big time trades or FA QBs and none of them wanted to come here. You really think it was only because of the money?

We've also read reports that we were never on any of those QB's short lists and that, in general, there is a feeling around the league that this is not a good place to come.

And how exactly was Washington a "popular choice of teams that should be giving Lamar a call"? According to who? Random Twitter opinions from people with zero sources?

There's plenty of evidence that big name QBs don't want to come here, and basically none that they do.

Actually it was from the crew on "Wake up." Teddy Bruschi was perhaps the most vocal and he wasn't alone. Im not gonna go through everything you've said, but where's the evidence that big name QB's don't want to come here? An even better question is, how often does big name QB's become available. If you believe the reports, we were an eyelash of trading for Stafford until the Rams added another pick. 

It proves won't be Washington, but unless the Ravens give him an offer he can't refuse, despite no team being connected to him (it's not just Washington) Lamar's getting traded to someone that's reportedly out on him. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Even if I entertain the idea that Lamar would be willing to come here, it would require two first round picks and a record breaking amount of guaranteed money to lure him here.

They really don’t have the ability to do that, nor should they.  

I don't think the two picks are the issue. It's the guaranteed money that's going to be a problem. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I see it as being pretty simple: we have Heinicke a $5M/year offer and said it was our best and final.

Atlanta gave him a richer contract and he took the money. We raised our budget to a similar level and got a better player in Brissett.

Ron would have preferred Heinicke at $5M to Brissett at $8M, but Brissett at $8M became a no-brainer vs. Heinicke at $7M.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Actually it was from the crew on "Wake up." Teddy Bruschi was perhaps the most vocal and he wasn't alone. Im not gonna go through everything you've said, but where's the evidence that big name QB's don't want to come here? An even better question is, how often does big name QB's become available. If you believe the reports, we were an eyelash of trading for Stafford until the Rams added another pick. 

It proves won't be Washington, but unless the Ravens give him an offer he can't refuse, despite no team being connected to him (it's not just Washington) Lamar's getting traded to someone that's reportedly out on him. 

I think we need to differentiate between people randomly opining about where Lamar could go vs someone actually having sources saying that Lamar is interested in coming here. Is Bruschi the former or latter? From what I've seen, it's pretty much all the former. Either Commanders fans hoping that Lamar will come here or sports writers just throwing stuff out there, likely for clicks and views.

And, as I said, the evidence is in the fact that we haven't been able to land any of these guys despite swinging hard, and that there have been multiple reports that have interviews with agents and players, where they say point blank that most players don't want to come here for a variety of reasons. I'm not going to go digging for them right now, but IIRC @Skinsinparadiseposted a bunch of them not long ago.

And Stafford never wanted to come here. There were many concurrent reports, both around the time of the trade and afterwards, that Stafford wanted to go to the Rams, not here, and that was the biggest deciding factor. IIRC he didn't have a no-trade clause, but the Lions wanted the parting to be amicable so agreed to work with Stafford to get him somewhere he wanted to go.

There are many factors and bits of information/evidence that, when taken together, point to us not being at all a destination spot for top QBs. I don't know why some people are so insistent on deluding themselves about how poorly this team is viewed right now. We're at the bottom of the barrel and that's not going to change until the ink is dry on the bill of sale.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Only one QB worth all that and we all know who it is.

There's probably a couple but they'll never be made available, at least not until they're pushing 40.

That's the other thing that gets ignored In these scenarios, why is the other team willing to let him walk?

Baltimore can have Lamar right now for the huge guaranteed contract, no compensation required and yet they're still flirting with the idea of letting him go and we'd have to toss two firsts in with the contract.

That in itself is a big red flag.

6 hours ago, oraphus said:

Ron can give a rats ass about Howell... he is in full "save his a$$" job mode. Meaning he needs a legit QB that has a high chance of winning games if Howell looks like poo. 

In a transition year they can't go after say Lamar - too rich of a contract right now. If we had the new owner(s) in place before the FA then that would have been a different story. If Howell bombs out then the QB class of 24 is looking pretty good too. New owners new FO and brand new shiny franchise QB. 

2 hours ago, El Mexican said:

The coaches saw what Howell can and can not do for a whole year. So it is more than just a one game sample for them. It is only a one game sample to you. I would rather they draft OL, TE, DL and maybe even a kicker. I don't want them to go after a QB in this year's draft unless they see someone who is just sitting there and too good to pass up in the later rounds and the OL has already been addressed. 

2 hours ago, El Mexican said:

It ain't whining if there's some logic behind it.

It's just a simple informed deduction. Semi-rook + journeyman QB = huge uncertainty.

So the draft it is. 

No. Howell it is. He was projected to go 1st or 2nd round. We already have a high valued QB who got to sit and learn for a whole year and even played a real game and won. Howell has the edge on a QB drafted this year since he has also developed some chemistry with the WRs and other players as well. 

Howell needs to be given at least 17 games to prove he belongs in the NFL as a starter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

I see it as being pretty simple: we have Heinicke a $5M/year offer and said it was our best and final.

Atlanta gave him a richer contract and he took the money. We raised our budget to a similar level and got a better player in Brissett.

Ron would have preferred Heinicke at $5M to Brissett at $8M, but Brissett at $8M became a no-brainer vs. Heinicke at $7M.

Do you think they knew they had Brissett in their hip pocket if TH outpriced himself? Kind of makes me wonder why they didn't just sign Brissett right away then...??? I think they may have had to overpay for Brissett because they were running out of options and needed to lock him down before they lost him too. But who knows? 

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Do you think they knew they had Brissett in their hip pocket if TH outpriced himself? Kind of makes me wonder why they didn't just sign Brissett right away then...??? I think they may have had to overpay for Brissett because they were running out of options and needed to lock him down before they lost him too. But who knows? 

I think their plan was to spend $5M on Heinicke to back up Sam, and while they liked Brissett they figured he'd command a higher salary and would want a starting position.

Heinicke then got a richer offer so they had to look elsewhere. #2 on their list was Brissett, who was still available. Clearly, both parties ended up comfortable with money and the role.

I think this does complicate the starting plans a little bit. I doubt they told Brissett he wouldn't have any chance to compete for the starting spot. So rather than Week 1 starter being Sam's to lose (as it would have been with Heinicke), I think it's a bit more of a legitimate competition now. But I do think if it's close, they'll give it to Sam. If Brissett is clearly better, however, then they will start Jacoby.

9 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Wait a minute. I was going to let it go, but I thought I'd ask. Do some of you really think there's only one or two QB's in the NFL that would command at least two 1st? 

I think the concern is paying him 250M guaranteed which is what he wants. A richer deal than Watson. AND 2 1sts…

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Only one QB worth all that and we all know who it is.

Aww shucks guys. You don't have to talk about me in hushed tones and revered whispers. Your allowed to use my name.

I watched some highlights of Jacoby from last year and on his early season power throws, he had this weird habit of over-torquing and throwing the ball downhill, bringing the back half of his body off the ground to a significant degree. Oddly enough as the season progressed his form dramatically improved on these same throws. fascinating to look at once you know to look for it.

and as for JBs nickname, i vehemetly reject the use of "Briss", I'm thinkin' just "Kobe".

iconic kobe photo of him tugging on his lakers jersey yelling iphone kobe  bryant wallpaper wearing w | Kobe bryant lakers, Fotos de baloncesto, Kobe  bryant

Its nice that Sam has a year under his belt but was I disappointed to learn he didn't even throw a single pass in practice to TMC all season until week 17.  I'd think a game day backup QB would get to throw passes to all receivers over the course of 6+ months but I've definitely questioned many widely accepted coaching norms over the decades. But damn that first pass being a TD to Terry was glorious but it makes me wonder how important it is to establish chemistry with receivers via hundreds of practice reps.

Edited by RandyHolt