Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Draft Order/Tracker: Now Picking #11

zCommander

On 10/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, philibusters said:

I think Miami traded last year's 12th overall pick plus a first rounder this year to move up to 6 last year to draft Jaylen Waddle.  It seemed like a bad move at the time.

This is true, but it suggests (maybe you didn't mean it that way) that they made the trade during the draft. The trade actually happened on March 26th, about a month before the draft. It was a two-tiered process for the Dolphins, who owned the third pick in the draft, courtesy of the Houston Texans. The Eagles were at six. The 49ers were at twelve. The Dolphins had already committed to Tua and weren't interested in picking a quarterback with the third pick. The 49ers wanted that pick, obviously for Trey Lance. The Dolphins didn't want to move all the way to twelve, so they worked a deal with the Eagles with the Eagles giving up the sixth pick. In that deal, the Eagles got the twelfth pick and the Dolphins first round pick next year. (A swap of fourth and fifth round picks was also included.) The 49ers traded that twelfth pick originally, along with first round picks in '22 and '23, to Miami for the third overall pick. A third rounder was also included.

So basically the Dolphins moved from three to six, and got two extra first round picks from the 49ers while giving up their own first round pick next year to the Eagles.

The Eagles moved from six to twelve and picked up Miami's first round pick next year.

The 49ers moved from twelve to three and gave up first round picks in both '22 and '23.

Ultimately the Dolphins got an extra first round pick in the deals. This was also true for the Eagles. The 49ers on the other hand surrendered two future first round picks.

As an Eagles fan, I'm happy (at the moment anyway) that the first round pick they acquired from Miami was theirs rather than the 49ers. It seems like the Niners might be decent this year while the Dolphins won't be. But there's still a lot of season to be played so I can't get too carried away with excitement.

Miami's taking Jaylen Waddle was kind of a surprise when it happened but it's not like they traded up *during* the draft to take him. 

And incidentally, the Eagles subsequently moved up from twelve to ten in a trade with the Cowboys to snag DeVonta Smith from the Giants at the cost of a third round pick. That move set in motion the Giants trade-down with the Bears which netted them Chicago's first round pick next year.

So as Washington fans, you guys need to be rooting for the Dolphins and Bears to not be terrible this year so that your division rivals don't get especially high extra first round picks. As an Eagles fan, I'm also rooting for the Bears to do well but for the Dolphins to be bad and for the Colts to be bad if and only if Carson Wentz plays 75% of their snaps. 

• Like 1

• zCommander changed the title to 2022 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #9
Just now, Warhead36 said:

There are some REALLY bad teams this year. I mean our division alone has two other awful teams.

I'm just shocked. WFT can't buy a stop on third down. Got a noodle arm qb that struggles throwing anything deep. You're telling me there are 8 other teams that are worse than that.  I'm shocked.

Should have moved up for mac jones. Are there any promising qb prospects this year? If not rivera likely gone in a couple years. I personally dont like his coaching style as well as our coordinators for todays nfl. With the **** show this franchise is on/off the field, he prolly will welcome getting fired as will the fans. 

• Like 2

Damn the Eagles are loaded this years draft. We’re going to suck forever, we just had a #2 overall pick and really didn’t change anything. We have to lure Wilson or Rodgers to a 300 million deal, maybe they’ll want to play for us since we’ll have a new name 😄

10 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I just checked Tankathon and they switched Miami to #2. Which means as of now the Eagles get picks #2,7,and 8.

😣

Would find it fun for the Eagles to suck enough and have Indy and Miami tank enough, so the Eagles ends up with 1,2,3!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I just checked Tankathon and they switched Miami to #2. Which means as of now the Eagles get picks #2,7,and 8.

😣

Makes you want to puke doesn’t it. They may well pass those across to the Texans before the draft rolls around.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, max21 said:

Damn the Eagles are loaded this years draft. We’re going to suck forever, we just had a #2 overall pick and really didn’t change anything. We have to lure Wilson or Rodgers to a 300 million deal, maybe they’ll want to play for us since we’ll have a new name 😄

We should rename the team after one of them to attract one them.

The Washington Rodgering?

...maybe a bit too on the nose?

Edited by Jabbyrwock
  • Haha 1

I just REALLY hope that Hurts plays well enough that the Eagles don't feel the need to draft a new QB. That way, they'll swallow up 3 of the top 10 picks on non-QBs.

Jax and the Jets obviously aren't going to draft QBs and will probably have top 5 picks.

Good chance Detroit goes QB, but not 100%...Goff takes up a lot of cap and they probably can't realistically cut him until after 2022 because the dead cap hit before then will be $30+ million. I suppose they could take a QB and either have him sit and learn for a year or sit Goff and just deal with having a $10+ million backup (which we did too). Probably depends on how Goff plays and if they think he could continue to be a viable starter. Maybe they'll take a project guy in the 2nd or something.

Giants I think will take a QB unless Gettleman is stubborn and decides to double down and refuse to believe that his decision to pick Daniel Jones was a mistake. After this season they'll have to make the decision on whether to pick up his 5th year option or not. Might also depend on the QB talent available in the draft and who they like. I could see this going either way.

Houston is a wild card because we have no clue what will happen with the Watson situation. If Watson doesn't get a long suspension and they also don't trade him then zero chance they go QB. But what if Watson says he'll refuse to play unless he's traded? They could stand firm and try to find ways to penalize him, or give in and trade him for a haul of picks, take a QB, then start a rebuild. So this is a TBD.

Atlanta: good chance they go QB if a guy they like is there, but they have a ton of money in Ryan and can't cut him until after 2022 without incurring a $40.5 million dead cap hit. They could go QB with upside and let him sit for a year and learn.

So there are a lot of "TBDs" there, but it could end up that very few other teams in the top 10 pick QBs. That means either one we want would fall to us, or some of these top 10 pick teams would be very willing to hear good trade down offers to try and stack up their rosters.

• Like 1