Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

I’m a little intrigued by Jonathan Williams, the running back.  He’s been in the league a while now (5 years), so not like I’m expecting much, but he’s got some things going for him.  Forced 65 missed tackles his junior year (211-1190, 12 TDs), injured prior to start of his senior year and still was named Team Captain by the players.  Alex Collins’ running mate.  Has only really played in one game (for the Colts in 2019) - 13 carries for 113.  In 2020, had one carry for Detroit - a fumble (ouch).

Future’s guy that could maybe land on the PS (although I’m unclear about the PS rules for this year), he’s well-rounded and we could call him up if Gibson misses significant time.  Not fast, but he’s got good size and agility.  Again, not expecting much, but he at least seems to be more of a lead back type than McKissick/Barber.

I wonder if we bring some backs in for tryouts, because McKissic and Barber (along with Samuel) are obviously more niche backs, which leaves just Patterson, Lamar Miller and Williams as potential backups for Gibson... and the latter two seem like journeyman types at this point.  Or maybe we evaluate those 3 early and bring in another back or two to TC.  Of course, my main hope is that Patterson shows out and solidifies the role.

Also, didn’t realize we waived Javon Leake.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I'm curious what the practice squad rules will be this year. The size and eligibility requirements were relaxed last year for COVID. I imagine that might be scaled back a bit, particularly around veterans being eligible... but maybe not.

Traditionally, a player like Kyle Allen would have way too much time on an active roster to be eligible for the practice squad. I don't think he will anyway though, the coaching staff loves him.

Was just looking this up earlier - per CBA - PS squad increased from 10 to 12 and will bump to 14 in 2022.  Two PS players can have more than 2 accrued seasons (Covid bumped this to 6 last year, uncertain if they will continue that).  Active roster moves from 46 to 48 (must have 8 olinemen, if not the limit is 47).  2 PS players can be elevated to roster (53 to 55) day before games, twice per year.  If they want to call them up a 3rd time, they have to negate the PS contract and sign a FA contract.  

As far as I can tell, the chance to protect a certain number of PS players (I can’t recall the number... 2 maybe?) was only Covid related.  Possible they go this route again, but as of now it’s not in the cards.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Was just looking this up earlier - per CBA - PS squad increased from 10 to 12 and will bump to 14 in 2022.  Two PS players can have more than 2 accrued seasons (Covid bumped this to 6 last year, uncertain if they will continue that).  Active roster moves from 46 to 48 (must have 8 olinemen, if not the limit is 47).  2 PS players can be elevated to roster (53 to 55) day before games, twice per year.  If they want to call them up a 3rd time, they have to negate the PS contract and sign a FA contract.  

As far as I can tell, the chance to protect a certain number of PS players (I can’t recall the number... 2 maybe?) was only Covid related.  Possible they go this route again, but as of now it’s not in the cards.

Cool - thanks for this! I'm guessing Reyes will make the active roster then unless he looks completely useless. They made a decent investment in him and probably won't want to risk losing him on the PS.

2 hours ago, terpfan said:

Cool - thanks for this! I'm guessing Reyes will make the active roster then unless he looks completely useless. They made a decent investment in him and probably won't want to risk losing him on the PS.

Really? I was guessing that as a guy who hasn't played any organized football in years (if ever), he is a long shot to be active for any games at all in 2021. I think they are thinking 2022 for him.

I would not count on Humphries.

Just to clarify, he wasn't a FA for contract reasons.

He was outright cut by the Titans. And I'm sure they saw strong reason to believe his concussion issues would or could be a prolonged matter.

First thing that's concerning is, last season when he returned late in the season from his earlier concussion, he only lasted ONE reception, before the Titans stashed him back on the injured list, once again. That is very telling, regarding his recovery or lack thereof.

Then they outright cut him. And we're talking about a receiver who has been consistently productive during his career. So it wasn't about performance. Sounds a lot like their medical department concluded he was a high-risk. Only speculating, but the evidence is very strong to support it.

It's time for WFT to prepare for Washington's end of the Humphries Era, as he passes that baton to Milne.

Just retire his jersey number in Washington, put him on the Ring of Fame, and let him RIP (Retire in Peace), with Jordan Reed.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

4 hours ago, carex said:

just looking it up and Adam Humpries has quite a few punt returns in his career.  That could be the reason we brought him in

I remember when he signed, I heard a Titans media person interviewed about his return skills.  Says he’s more of a sure handed fair catch guy these days than a returner.  /Similar to Randel-el (my opinion, not his).

On 5/3/2021 at 10:52 PM, skinny21 said:

The starters at those spots are all good to excellent though, so hoping for some luck in terms of health.

The health of your roster is so dependent on the quality and design of your medical & training staff. They overhauled the whole thing last year and that included the facilities.  I believe there's something to be said for how dramatically an integral part of the organization like this can have a 'breakout' sophomore year.  From my experience in the healthcare industry I've been a part of two new hospitals, with night and day improvements from year 1 to year 2.  I would expect a similar result here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's time for WFT to prepare for Washington's end of the Humphries Era, as he passes that baton to Milne.

Agreed, if milne comes to camp with a positive attitude, works his tail off, and shows he can contribute on offense and ST, he should be chosen over AH, no brainer.   Younger, cheaper, under team control longer, not injury prone, room for growth.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, if milne comes to camp with a positive attitude, works his tail off, and shows he can contribute on offense and ST, he should be chosen over AH, no brainer.   Younger, cheaper, under team control longer, not injury prone, room for growth.  

I do predict that Milne is all over Humphries position, like white on rice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Really? I was guessing that as a guy who hasn't played any organized football in years (if ever), he is a long shot to be active for any games at all in 2021. I think they are thinking 2022 for him.

Sorry I should have said 53 man roster. He may not actually be active week to week. But I don’t think they will risk putting him on the practice squad. 

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I think Fitz pushed for us to sign Humphries....that's gotta carry some weight. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think Dax will have to learn the slot position. He played on the outside last season as Wilson's #1 WR. They actually used him a lot as a deep threat, which was feasible against the UTSAs and Texas States of college football

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't necessarily want another Trey Quinn. I know, different style, but AH is proven to be a capable WR while Milne currently is a 7th rounder.

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm surprised at how Danny Johnson and Greg Stroman are still around. For being so far down the depth chart, somehow they've managed to stick around for their 4th season.

Yeah, I’ve been seeing that as a spot a rook could perhaps compete and grab a spot, but I give them props for sticking.  We brought back Johnson, I believe... I’m assuming that means it’s his 5th year?  Either way, they’ve both gotten some PT, learned from a couple different coaches and (up to this point) have earned spots on a roster RR is obviously striving for competition.

Drafting a guy doesn’t mean the holes were plugged. We don’t even know if they can play. Like being short a TE, drafting a guy like Sprinkle and thinking our holes have been plugged. But at least they tried and that’s a good start. 

Edited by dyst

So DE, corner and TE added?  Pretty much what we expected, right?  Did I miss anyone?

I wasn’t as high on KJ as most were when he came out, but he’d be a legitimate talent to add.  Looking at the roster, Gibson is probably the top guy I’m afraid of losing to injury (though Young is right there with him, and really, so is Sweat).  Patterson makes me feel a bit better, but since he’s a pretty big unknown, I’d love to add a legit talent.  Don’t get me wrong, I actually really like Patterson - his production, his talent, being an undersized underdog, and a great story showcasing his mental toughness and work ethic.  I just want someone proven to assuage my concerns about the position (which could very well be Patterson if he has a really good TC).

Edit:  Not roster related per say, but I’m really getting the sense that no other team will outwork the WFT.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Who do consider to be the KR and PR at this point.

I am guessing PR is between a number of the WR's fighting for the last WR spot Carter, Wright and Sims?

Would they use Gibson or of those guys on KR?

I’d give the edge to Carter. Which means the question becomes are we going to keep 6 receivers + Carter or 6 receivers counting Carter. 

We’ll see.