Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Colonial Pipeline blames ransomware for network shutdown

11 hours ago, Destino said:

That’s the first time I’ve heard that they lack drivers, but even if that’s so wouldn’t an inability to deliver fuel create a shortage?  Perhaps not a national shortage, but how is half or more gas stations being out of gas not a regional shortage?

People are trying very deliberately to split hairs to prevent panic buying even though consumers in the region are absolutely experiencing a decent facto shortage and would have to a noticeable degree even without widespread panic buying.  They've also been intentionally vague about how long it's actually going to take to return supply to normal for the same reason IMO.

The gas flowing through that pipeline travels at five mph.  It's super slow.  It's a 1300+ mile trip from Texas to central VA.  That's ten days assuming no detours.  Things aren't going to truly get back to normal until close to Memorial Day weekend, assuming nothing else goes wrong.  The flow in that pipeline has never been completely shut down before.  Pretty much everything short of rationing is going to be done to scramble up as much supply as possible, but common sense suggests you can't replace a 45% supply with ad hoc supply lines of trucks and ships and rail in two weeks.

We needed to go to mandated rationing last Friday to blunt the impact of the shortage for as long as possible.  As is, I think there will be regional shortages springing up based on delivery schedules for the next week or two.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Destino said:

That’s the first time I’ve heard that they lack drivers, but even if that’s so wouldn’t an inability to deliver fuel create a shortage?  Perhaps not a national shortage, but how is half or more gas stations being out of gas not a regional shortage?

A lot of businesses are facing labor shortages....

There is definitely a localized gas shortage but I think there also is an increase in demand. I think Northam should of allowed prices to increase. It’s not like before or after a hurricane where having gasoline is a life safety necessity. 

When I was getting gas for other vehicle at the wawa there wasn’t a large line so this lady in front of my swing by and topped off her tank. the top off came to around 5 dollars, not a lot of gas but I don’t think she wouldn’t have used those two gallons if it were normal times.

Posted (edited)

@stevemcqueen1

I think your math is missing the fact that the pipeline isn’t empty. Flow was stopped but it was not drained. Empty. At least I haven’t heard it was. They don’t have to fill the pipe back up, they just have to resume flow. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

My wife text me this morning that she filled up at our local Sheetz like normal.  Not long lines but busy.  

I think the shortages will be sporadic and unpredictable for a week or two, depending on when scheduled deliveries come through station to station.  Luckily I don't think we're going to experience a true nadir.  As big as that pipeline was, I read that it was still only 45% of the regional supply.  That means presumably 55% of the supply is still coming through normally from the other sources and that could explain how some stations and localities are still getting their regular deliveries.  If demand doesn't get too crazy, then things should feel normal in those places.

30 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Supposedly real and taken in the Philly suburbs.

I live in what are essentially some of the Philly suburbs.  Gas isn't an issue here at all (yet).  Maybe that's the suburbs on the other side of the city.  Filled up yesterday no problem.

• Like 1

We had a ransomware attack where I used to work. It was identified quickly and the system was shut down. The server was rebuilt from a backup the night before.  We lost about 3 hours of work/data. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

We had a ransomware attack where I used to work. It was identified quickly and the system was shut down. The server was rebuilt from a backup the night before.  We lost about 3 hours of work/data. 

competent it people are hard to come by. 

we were joking in our meeting the other day, that a number of our recent clients came on board after being ransomware’d. Downtime’s were in the range of 1-4 weeks. 4 weeks! And of course varying elements of data loss 

one situation was where the it company set up site to site vpn’s, that were always active, with each client and the IT company got ransomware’d. It worked its way down to all the clients and took everyone down. Can you imagine?!? You’re down for 3 weeks because you’re it company got ransomware’d and it infected you? How dumb 

4 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

Well looks like the hackers were dealt with...

No.  Dealt with is in cuffs. 

this is just an inconvenience. 

Woman Bursts Into Flames After Rolling Car Full Of Hoarded Gas

A South Carolina woman found herself on fire after rolling a Pontiac G6 during short a police chase. The hoard of gasoline in back exploded, setting both the car and its driver alight.

On May 13, a Pickens County, South Carolina, Sheriff’s Office deputy attempted to pull over a 2007 Pontiac G6 after noticing the plates mounted on the car were apparently stolen, reports the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office. The driver, a 28-year-old South Carolina woman, hit the gas instead. She lost control and flipped the car before the officer could even make the radio call.

The car reportedly immediately caught fire and the police claim to have heard multiple explosions from inside the Pontiac. The driver exited the car while on fire and the officer pushed her to the ground in an effort to put her out. She was transported to the hospital, but not before identifying the cause for why her car was exploding: her trunk was filled with hoarded gasoline.

The fire from “several containers of fuel,” as the police claim, burned through the whole car.

Click on the link for the full article

Blows my mind that she didn't die.  People die from eating something that rubbed a peanut and this woman stole a car, hoarded it full of gasoline, ran from the cops in it, flipped it, exploded it, and crawled out of it on fire, and will live to tell the tale.

I enjoyed reading the local news station's coverage of this event because of how far they buried the lede: https://www.wbtv.com/2021/05/14/woman-hoarding-gas-catches-fire-following-car-accident-sc-deputies-say/

Five paragraphs in before the Michael Bay scene starts.

• Like 1

The Colonial Pipeline Was Fine, But Its Owner Shut It Down To Make Sure They'd Get Paid Correctly

The cyber attack that shutdown the Colonial pipeline causing a gas panic and stoking fears of gasoline shortages, didn’t actually shut down the pipeline. It impacted the billing system at the Colonial Pipeline Co., which shut it down because they were worried about how they’d collect payments.

Yes, the fuel-carrying pipeline was shut down last week in order to prevent a company that is entrusted with what should be a public utility from enduring an accounting headache.

Zero Day’s Kim Zetter had noted this may be the case and CNN confirmed it in a later report.

Zetter pointed out the affected system handled the billing in a report prior to CNN’s, wherein she cited Colonial itself. The company said that the hack affected its corporate network and not the operation of the pipeline:

In a statement published Saturday, it said the ransomware infected only its corporate IT network. Although the operational network that controls its pipelines and distributes fuel is separate from the corporate network and wasn’t infected, Colonial said it temporarily shut down the pipelines as a precaution to prevent the infection from spreading.

Meaning that the pipeline was fine, and all its gasoline was sitting.

As if that weren’t enough, CNN also disclosed the hackers that breached Colonial’s automated billing were likely “novices” who miscalculated their own actions.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...

The account was no longer in use at the time of the attack but could still be used to access Colonial’s network, he said.

The account’s password has since been discovered inside a batch of leaked passwords on the dark web. That means a Colonial employee may have used the same password on another account that was previously hacked, he said. However, Carmakal said he isn’t certain that’s how hackers obtained the password, and he said investigators may never know for certain how the credential was obtained.

not shocked at all. This describes a large percentage of compromises