Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jaret Patterson, RB Buffalo

zCommander

Since he is a 1/4 inch shorter than me and weighs 7 more pounds than me....he deserves his own thread. :D

I think he will fit nicely in Washington jersey #26. 

Selected as UDFA.

3196e6d8-faac-4858-92a0-38f42c3a0147

5' 6 1/2"
195 lbs

Strengths
  • Legendary work ethic and drive to prove himself to doubters.
  • Rarely puts the ball on the ground.
  • Build is compact and powerful with low center of gravity.
  • Plays with controlled transitions to alter rush track.
  • Hides behind his line and sneaks through crevices.
  • Keeps feet moving and ready throughout carry.
  • Runs with squared pads and wide base.
  • Contact balance to roll through initial contact and keep going.
  • Arm tackles need not apply.
  • Forces missed tackles and finds his own yards.
  • Loves to run right over cornerbacks.
  • Courageous in pass protection.
  • Squares up incoming rusher and blocks with proper technique.
Weaknesses
  • Monster production came against lesser defenses.
  • Feet look a little unsure while bouncing downhill.
  • Doesn't always show trust in designed run lane.
  • Will need to eliminate early, downhill hesitations as a pro.
  • Hip tightness slows one-cut ability in outside zone.
  • Can be a bit of a one-speed runner.
  • Takes time finding acceleration after change of direction.
  • Hasn't been much of a pass-catching option
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

November 28, 2020, Buffalo University vs. Kent State.  Jaret Patterson scores EIGHT TDs and rushes for 409 yards on 36 carries in the Buffalo 70-41 win.

For those that contend it didn’t happen unless there’s visual evidence to prove it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks like there will be some stiff competition between 2 guys, for Camp Man-Crush.

Patterson, and his "height-counterpart", 6 foot 11 (based on projections on his recent growth rate) Sammis Reyes.

We could actually draw up some great plays, using the both of them.

While Reyes is blocking, and simply occupying his guy, Patterson just runs between both their legs.

Noone on the defense will even see Patterson, til he's 20 yards past the last DB.

Patterson is like a really young, undeveloped (in height) Brandon Banks, but on steroids (natural, legal kind of course)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

My god, those legs!  If you guys hadn't mentioned it I'd have thought I was watching an altered video at first, it's so hilarious!  I hope he finds a place on this team if only for the fantastic highlight videos!

Edited by TysonM

Well, I’ve posted elsewhere so I’ll do it here too so it’s official: I think he winds up not only making the team but taking some carries off of Gibson’s workload.

This dude is a workhorse. 

And while people say he’s small, let me ask... what did you think of Michael Carter?

Carter: 5-9, 200

JPat: 5-7, 195

So he’s actually more stout. Shorter, but damn close to the same size.

I think Carter fell due to his size. And that’s largely why I feel JPat went undrafted. I don’t think it’s going to limit either of them. 

If he touches his potential he’s making this team AND playing.

• Like 2

I was jazzed when we signed Patterson.  Slippery as heck, great contact balance.  If I had to guess why he fell its the combination of his size and not being a blazer.

He was one of the guys I mentioned on the draft thread once we hit the 7th round.  Surprised he didn't go.  

He remind me some stylistically of David Singletary.  About the same size.  Also from a small school.  Also didn't kill it as for metrics and is more quick than fast. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 6.41.42 AM.png

13 hours ago, Dan T. said:

November 28, 2020, Buffalo University vs. Kent State.  Jaret Patterson scores EIGHT TDs and rushes for 409 yards on 36 carries in the Buffalo 70-41 win.

Pro: 409 yards and 8 TDs is an awesome stat.

Con: It was against Kent State.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

This site has him listed even shorter : 5'6 1/2

So, 2 and a Half inches shorter than Carter.

But like the height of Heinicke, we may never know the truth

I will say this though ; in certain circumstances, it can actually be an advantage to be short in the NFL.

And this is one of them.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well, I’ve posted elsewhere so I’ll do it here too so it’s official: I think he winds up not only making the team but taking some carries off of Gibson’s workload.

This dude is a workhorse. 

And while people say he’s small, let me ask... what did you think of Michael Carter?

So he’s actually more stout. Shorter, but damn close to the same size.

I think Carter fell due to his size. And that’s largely why I feel JPat went undrafted. I don’t think it’s going to limit either of them. 

If he touches his potential he’s making this team AND playing.

Different strokes

• Like 1

He is projected as a mid-to-late-round pick, with some analysts recognizing his productivity at Buffalo but casting doubt on his ability to be an NFL lead back.

"Fifth, sixth round, [teams would be bringing] a productive, hard-working, probably No. 2 back into the fold," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said of Patterson, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds at Buffalo's pro day on March 18. "Middle of Day 3 is where I think he will come off the board."

Patterson has heard the doubters at nearly every stage of his career, dating to his youth football days. He plans to add his most recent critics to the list of people he has proved wrong.

"Jaret has always been overlooked -- that's been his mentality ever since he was little," Janine said. "This next journey is going to be a great journey for him, because he's going to surprise a whole lot of people."

..."That's what I instilled in them. You're either most improved or you're MVP," Janine said. "If you want to be good, you've got to put the work in."

A high school principal in Baltimore, Janine is used to extracting the most out of kids who need the push.

"My mom has that fire. You can tell that's where we get it from," Jaret said.

Jaret blossomed into a star running back for St. Vincent Pallotti High School in Laurel, Maryland, eclipsing the 2,000-yard mark as a senior in the fall of 2016. A two-star recruit, he "struggled" during the process, more so than his more recruited brother. James, listed as a 6-foot, 220-pound linebacker, received offers from schools such as Florida Atlantic and UCF. Jaret received 11 offers, according to Rivals.com, but felt overlooked throughout his recruitment.

"I had to work. I wasn't the dude. There were always guys who were better than me, faster than me, bigger than me," Jaret said. "I just used that as fuel, even throughout high school, not being recruited as heavily as I thought I should.

"I heard it all from coaches -- ACC, SEC, Big Ten -- 'You're a good player, but you're not the type of back we're looking for,' or 'You're a good player, but too undersized.' Just things of that sort [convinced me] to just put my head down and show you guys what you missed out on."

He got his first real taste of recruitment during a trip to Eastern Michigan with his brother and a few of their teammates.

Jaret treated it like a business trip. He dressed professionally ("like it was an interview") and was convinced he would receive his first scholarship offer. They didn't even have a nametag ready for him when he got there. Eastern Michigan offered James a scholarship but declined to meet with Jaret.

Filled with doubt, Jaret left the group and cried in a bathroom before his brother found him. Just like Janine did after their youth football title game, James reminded Jaret this was simply motivation.

"I told him he had to understand that [his offers] were going to come," James said. "Sometimes he'd feel like he wasn't the best, but me, as a brother, and our friends who are like-minded couldn't let him get down on himself."

'I'm not here to play around'

Even after the twins accepted scholarships as a package deal to Buffalo, Jaret had to wait to see the field. Or even campus, for that matter. Fellow incoming running back Kevin Marks committed before him, and with the team's available roster spots dwindling, Buffalo coach Lance Leipold reached out to Jaret with a proposition: grayshirt (wait an extra semester after the upcoming season to become a full-time student) and join the team for spring practice in 2018.

...The Patterson brothers used the time wisely, training with their former high school strength coach, Ed Page, for the six months they spent in Maryland. It was a rigid schedule, not unlike the one their mother put them through when they were kids.

They would arrive at the school at noon and would work out through a combination of power lifting, speed and acceleration training and conditioning, then transition to coaching when the football team's practice began. Every day, Monday through Friday for six months. The brothers said the experience motivated them to make an impact as soon as they got to Buffalo's campus.

James earned a starting linebacker job by the end of spring camp in 2018. But Jaret ran with the third and fourth string -- although he did catch the coaches' attention from nearly the moment he arrived.

"Through my years of coaching, the common denominator among the guys who end up playing in the [NFL] is that their practice habits were never questioned," Buffalo offensive coordinator Andy Kotelnicki said. "You could see that with Jaret."

Kotelnicki said Jaret's ability to make guys miss in his first spring with the team was eye-opening, and Jaret never became discouraged by the fact he would have to work his way up in a "loaded" running back room.

Jaret was so low in status that then-Buffalo quarterback Tyree Jackson wouldn't let the freshman run reps with him during a post-workout drill.

But Jaret's desire to play boiled to a point that he approached Leipold following a game against Army in Week 5 of the 2018 season asking for any type of role.

"I had to show the coaches that I'm a playmaker, I'm a guy. I'm not here to play around," Jaret said. "I just told him, 'I'm not here to complain. I just want to contribute.'"

Jaret got his first start the following week, rushing for 121 yards and a touchdown in a win against Central Michigan. He finished the season with 1,013 yards and 14 touchdowns, becoming the first freshman in Buffalo history to run for 1,000 yards. During the 2019 season, Jaret ran for a school-record 1,799 yards and cemented himself as one of the best backs in college football.

'A pro already in his approach'

Coaches comparing their current players to former ones can often fall subject to recency bias, and Leipold is well aware of this. It doesn't stop him from lauding Patterson.

"Like I always say, don't bet against Jaret Patterson," he said. "I've thought a lot about this. I don't know if I've ever had a more complete player in terms of going about his business. And I mean watching film, taking care of his body. He was in the training room three times a day this year.

"He's a pro already in his approach."

Kotelnicki said Patterson takes pride in the little things, like blocking when his number isn't called.

"There's a ton of film of him getting that done," he said. "Certainly, NFL guys look at that and say, 'that's the type of guy we're looking for.'"

Leipold called Patterson the best practice player he has ever coached and had an example ready to back up his statement.

Buffalo beat Bowling Green 41-17 on Nov. 17, when Patterson ran for 301 yards and four TDs on 31 carries. At the team's next practice roughly 36 hours later, Patterson forced his way onto the field for kickoff coverage.

Not returning kicks. Coverage.

"He just rushed for 300 yards and he's working on fundamentals to cover kicks," Leipold said. "Because he knows if he's going to have a chance to play at the next level, he's going to have to cover kicks. That's the type of kid he is.

"He wants to be on a team. Would he love to be a high draft pick? Absolutely. But he knows that if he's not, he'll have to do whatever it takes to be part of a team at that level."

'I think he loves that'

Buffalo's loss in the MAC title game "left a bad taste" in Jaret's mouth at the end of the 2020 season, enough so that he considered returning for another season.

James, who has hardly spent a moment apart from his brother since birth, was one of the strongest voices against it, advising Jaret to maximize his longevity. Jaret also spoke with Oliver and said former Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush gave him some good advice. Ultimately, it was Jaret's decision to turn pro.

"It was hard because I could've seen myself going either way," Jaret said. "Just hearing from my family and weighing my options ... I feel like this was a good time for me to declare."

Before leaving Buffalo, Jaret and Leipold went over his draft grades, which ranged from Rounds 3 to 7. None of it mattered to Jaret; he just wants in.

"My mentality is, it's not how you get in [the NFL], it's how you stay in," he said. "... You can be a first- or second-rounder and still get cut."

Jaret said NFL teams wanted to know three things: could he catch, could he run routes and where would his straight-line speed top out?

Jaret wasn't very involved in Buffalo's passing game with 20 career catches all coming in his first two seasons. Since declaring, he has trained in Florida alongside other NFL prospects such as North Carolina's Michael Carter and Louisville's Javian Hawkins, but he spends little, if any, time doing running back drills. His focus has been on receiver drills, sharpening his route-running, release and hands.

Jaret compared his game to former NFL running backs Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice and Barry Sanders, and Leipold's evaluation of him doesn't make the latter seem so far-fetched.

"His ability to make people miss and then accelerate after that is what sets him apart," Leipold said. "He has great patience, he has outstanding vision. People will talk about [his straight-line speed], but when you look at the NFL, how many of those runs are there? People want productive yards on early downs. He did that better than anyone I've been around."

Kotelnicki said Jaret's ability to change directions quickly sets him apart from most running backs -- or football players, in general.

"He has the innate ability to go from 60 mph to 0, and then back to 60 really fast," he said. "A lot of people, when they go to change directions, there's a huge decrease in their speed, but not Jaret. Those are the things that make him really hard to tackle."

Jaret is ready for any role, even if it means grinding his way up from the bottom; that's his wheelhouse, after all.

"A lot of people are still doubting him, and I think he loves that," James said. "It's funny to me, he's just like, 'Oh yeah? You're gonna say that? You'll see.'"

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2