Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

What so many of you aren't getting is that any QB that breaks out next year is going to be out of range from where we are picking. So baisclly we're in the same position that we are now. Are you still going to call for punting at the position again? Like you do every year?

8 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

What so many of you aren't getting is that any QB that breaks out next year is going to be out of range from where we are picking. So baisclly we're in the same position that we are now. Are you still going to call for punting at the position again? Like you do every year?

Im not sure anyone has advocated punting on the position. The way the draft shakes out this year moving up may not be advantageous to us. The first opportunity to get up would be 4 to Atlanta which would be a ridiculous haul to get to and we’d get the 4th QB. In this class that’s likely Fields/Lance. I’d love Fields and even Lance to a degree so I’d be good with it. But many others don’t like those guys like I do so they are more hesitant. 

I watched a bit of JT Daniels this year with GA and I didn't really find him overly impressive. He has a long-ish delivery and got bailed out a bunch of times by his receivers making great contested catches. And usually they weren't meant to be contested catches...they were balls the receivers had to adjust to because they were somewhat poorly thrown.

Curious to see how he looks this season.

20 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

No. I ultimately want to trade the 1st for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year if possible to have the firepower to move up. 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2021 at 3:57 PM, KDawg said:

Little surprised that Dillon Gabriel isn’t on this list. He’s a true Junior this year. 

Also... Sean Clifford? Really?

Sorry I didn't make the list. Maybe I should have researched more....lol

Here are stats for Dillion (He is not very tall and is light) :

CAREER

HT./WT. 6-0 / 186
• Ranks seventh in UCF history with 484 pass completions
• With 7,223 career passing yards, ranks sixth all-time at U
• His 156.6 career passing efficiency ranks third all-time in program history
• With 11 game of 300 or more passing yards, ranks fourth all-time at UCF, needing just five more to break the record
• Has four games of 400 or more passing yards in his career, the most by a Knight
• Recorded two seasons of 3,000 or more passing yards, which is tied with Daunte Culpepper and Blake Bortles for the most in program history
• His 61 passing touchdowns are the fifth most in program history
• With a career completion percentage of 59.7, he ranks ninth all-time at UCF
• With 14.9 passing yards per completion, he currently holds the program record for a career
• His 8.91 passing yards per attempt also currently stand as a UCF record
• With only 11 interceptions to 811 passing attempts, his .014 ratio is the best ever at UCF

On 4/19/2021 at 10:01 PM, JoggingGod said:

So, my take on this is ... if you ignore QB in this draft and you're able to get a LT, TE, LB and WR in Rounds 1-3 ... with some additional depth pieces in Round 4,5,7,7 ... you'll presumably be a more complete team going into 2022 draft. So you might need a RG ... a DT for depth ... maybe eyeing an early-round CB ... etc. But the biggest hole will be QB because you really rounded the team out in this draft.

So while there will be future needs emerging in 2023, 2024, etc. you might be better positioned next year to trade future picks to move up for a QB ... becuase you'll have all of your high-end premier positions covered ... LT, WR group, DEs, CBs, etc. ... but it's so hard to project where things will be next year ... just a thought in my mind. You'll be a truly complete team next year and be able to afford to "go all in" for that future QB ... in a way that the Chiefs were/did with Patrick Mahomes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So, my take on this is ... if you ignore QB in this draft and you're able to get a LT, TE, LB and WR in Rounds 1-3 ... with some additional depth pieces in Round 4,5,7,7 ... you'll presumably be a more complete team going into 2022 draft. So you might need a RG ... a DT for depth ... maybe eyeing an early-round CB ... etc. But the biggest hole will be QB because you really rounded the team out in this draft.

So while there will be future needs emerging in 2023, 2024, etc. you might be better positioned next year to trade future picks to move up for a QB ... becuase you'll have all of your high-end premier positions covered ... LT, WR group, DEs, CBs, etc. ... but it's so hard to project where things will be next year ... just a thought in my mind. You'll be a truly complete team next year and be able to afford to "go all in" for that future QB ... in a way that the Chiefs were/did with Patrick Mahomes.

This is where my thought/head is as well. Too many QB needy teams are picking ahead of us. Next year these teams won't need a QB and you have a better chance to move up a little and get a, hopefully, your franchise QB. So ride the Fitzmagic and our other QBs this year. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zskins said:

This is where my thought/head is as well. Too many QB needy teams are picking ahead of us. Next year these teams won't need a QB and you have a better chance to move up a little and get a, hopefully, your franchise QB. So ride the Fitzmagic and our other QBs this year. 

Yep. Also a fractional chance that Heinecke is the real deal and beats out or seizes the job from Fitz, and we realize we don't need to go QB next year either. I think that's about a 3% chance, so I'm not banking on it, but something to at least consider while we also assume Fitz can carry the load for a year while the team is built out a bit more.

All that said, If Lance is our guy, I'm all for trading 19 and 82 and next year's 1st to move up to 7/8/9 to take him. It still allows you to add some talent this year and only sacrifice 1 pick next year (albeit a 1st). So the long-term impact isn't all that crippling.

• Like 1

And the primary downside to trading 19 and 82 and next year's 1st ... assuming next year's 1st is kind of circled right now to target a QB, let's just say that's not a "loss" in this scenario since the alternative would be to trade it and another future 1st next year to move up.

But, pick #19 and #82 are net losses here. And in a "perfect scenario" that could be your future LT and a starting LB.

I really don't think there's a wrong way to go about it. And if this staff loves Lance and can go get him for a 1/3/1 then by all means, go do it. If they don't, then obviuosly they'll wait for next year and the upside to that is that you have your starting LT and LB (again, best case if you hit those picks) ... and next year's 1st goes to a QB in addition to, say, the 2023 1st, which could/should go to a position that may not really be known at this point.

I think that's ultimately what this boils down to. If this staff LOVES Lance and it doesn't cripple the franchise they'll go get him. If they don't love him, they won't take that risk because they don't have to, and will take the alternative path of building through the draft and trying again next year. Both are good moves, it just depends on what the staff itself thinks of Lance and/or Fields.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

4 hours ago, zskins said:

For every team that grabs their QB of the future, there's a team needing one next year. TB, Pitts, Oakland, NO, Minny, Giants maybe, Philly maybe etc. Every year there's going to be teams that need to find the answer there

59 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

For every team that grabs their QB of the future, there's a team needing one next year. TB, Pitts, Oakland, NO, Minny, Giants maybe, Philly maybe etc. Every year there's going to be teams that need to find the answer there

Sure. We can also be out of reach if we win the SB with Fitz. :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

While true, it won't be the Rams, Chiefs, pack, Giants, Fins, Bill's, Browns and a bunch of others who have their guys or the 5 to 8 teams that draft high this year. This year was a frenzy at QB. 

I know every year we say it's a great one and next year will suck, but there's about 5 QBs who would have been day 1 or 2 picks this year and went back. 

It's one reason I'd trade away our first this year for next.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

While true, it won't be the Rams, Chiefs, pack, Giants, Fins, Bill's, Browns and a bunch of others who have their guys or the 5 to 8 teams that draft high this year. This year was a frenzy at QB. 

I know every year we say it's a great one and next year will suck, but there's about 5 QBs who would have been day 1 or 2 picks this year and went back. 

It's one reason I'd trade away our first this year for next.

It may be the giants or the Dolphins. May be the Eagles as well. There’s a lot of make it or break it QB seasons this year. 

On 4/19/2021 at 9:01 PM, JoggingGod said:

So what you’re saying is a better record gets you a lower draft slot, and QBs are at a premium so they go early? Well I’ll be gosh darned! 

• Haha 1

Really surprised that no one has metioned Kyle Hamilton so far. 6'4, 220 saftey from Notre Dame. He had more tackles than JOK last season and is a certified athletic freak.

"By the time he left for college last year, Kyle had a 40-inch vertical and he jumped free-standing (no approach step) a 55-inch box. He has the fastest 10-yard split I’ve ever timed in my facility and that’s not handheld timing. That’s fully electric laser timed. Kyle’s broad jump is a little over 11 feet."+

"At 5’7″ and 135 pounds as a high school freshman at Marist school in Georgia, Hamilton did not jump off the board at anyone as a possible top football recruit/player. Sure, he was naturally athletic but he did not have anything close to what would be considered a football body/frame. After his freshman year in 2015, he grew 5 to 6 inches going into his sophomore year and then another 3 inches his junior year. Suddenly, this 5’7″ and 135 pound freshman was a 6’4″ 185 pound junior. After being mostly ignored his freshmen and sophomore year, Hamilton burst on to the scene his junior year.

Hamilton switched from a QB to a Safety before the start of his junior year (fall of 2017) due to a hand injury and cashed in with a monster year. The 6’4″ athletic freak had 6 ints, 8 pass break ups and 60 solo tackles on his way to being named First Team All State (Georgia) Safety. He flashed above average instincts in the pass game and made the most of his height routinely going up and winning battles for the football with the receivers. In the run game, Hamilton used his big frame to blow up blocks and routinely make tackles at and behind the line of scrimmage. In addition, Hamilton scored a 30 on his ACT which puts him in the 94th percentile along with a 3.6 GPA. During and after his junior year put him on the map as a low 3 star prospect (according to most of the recruitment ranking websites), top college football teams started to show interest.

According to 247 Sports, he went from being the 946th rated recruit on March of 2018 to the 363rd ranked recruit in July of 2018 (all without playing a down of football). Once football did start up, Hamilton shot up the charts once again from 294 on August 30th to 103 on December 14th (the first rankings done after the season). On Rivals, he received his first prospect ranking on August 15th at 227th in the country and finished as the 97th overall recruit in the country in the December rankings. This is when I started to hear rumblings about Hamilton, the Notre Dame recruit who was flying up the recruiting rankings. Hamilton built on his junior year the way few recruits do with 72 tackles, 6 interceptions, 8 pass break ups on top of being used as a running back and wide receiver on offense (27 carries for 272 yards 2tds, 38 catches for 804 yard and 7 tds) and as the punt and kick returner on special teams (he returned a punt and kickoff for touchdowns).

When the year concluded he was a finalist for the All-American Bowl National Defensive Player of the Year, American Family Insurance Defensive Player of the Year, and was named to the first team all region for both defense and special teams as well as participating in the 2018 High School All American Game. In the final recruiting rankings of the 2018 class, Hamilton finished as the 15th recruit in the country and #1 safety according to 247 Sports (a 5 star prospect) and the 75th recruit and 7th overall safety according to Rivals (a 4 star prospect)."

https://draftlordsports.com/player-spotlight-kyle-hamilton/

This dude in our defense 😍

• Like 2

Talked about Hamilton a little bit in the '21 thread.  He's kind of a safety net for Owusu-Koromoah that lets him play on the edge of control.

He's a superstar.  Probably going to be a high draft pick. He was arguably the best player on that defense and it was a really good group.  I thought they played Bama's run game tough and made Najee work hard.

• Like 4

I see Zamir White getting projected as a possible RB1 based on his traits and recruiting background, but I'm not loving him yet like I did with Najee and Etienne.  Big RB who is very fast and runs with quite a bit of lean.  Pretty good mix of patience and decisiveness.  Powerful.  Finds good space between the tackles and is effective working from gap to gap.  He's still kind of robotic right now.  His build and posture remind me of Matt Forte but he hasn't shown any real passing game value yet like Forte did.  Maybe like a big version of Miles Sanders.

I think he needs to have a big season to have a shot at going in the first round.  He could do it though.

• Like 1

This class doesn't have a back as good as Najee or Etienne in it.  Certainly no one as accomplished as they were heading into their junior and senior seasons.  Brian Robinson and Isaiah Spiller certainly aren't as good as Najee was and Spilled is forever getting banged up.  Zamir White has a serious knee injury in his history and just hasn't produced or developed enough at the college level to be the caliber of prospect that Najee and Etienne are.  Breece Hall looks like the best prospect coming into the year and he is nowhere near as accomplished as Etienne was going into his JR season.  He's kind of like a slightly slower, less powerful version of Etienne.

Master Teague was a disappointment this season, he's not as good as hoped.  Journey Brown medically retired and Max Borghi isn't in Etienne or Najee's class as a player.  Neither is Kennedy Brooks.

Kind of a disappointing looking RB crop for next year so far.  Breece is the only one who strikes me as already being very good and potentially worthy of first round consideration.  Looks like it will be another bumper WR crop, especially at the top, and the top end of defensive prospects are way, way better than 2021's.  2021 is the year for us to try and fix our offense, especially in the first half of the draft.  Next year is not going to provide as many good options at key positions like RB and QB.

Yeah I posed about Hamilton too in this thread.  He's hard to mess when watching Kormoah.  Could be a top 10 pick. 

I also like Jake Ferguson as a TE.  I talked about him during the college season when I thought he'd come out but he ultimately stayed.   He's a do it all type.  Like a Kmet. 

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I posed about Hamilton too in this thread.  He's hard to mess when watching Kormoah.  Could be a top 10 pick. 

I also like Jake Ferguson as a TE.  I talked about him during the college season when I thought he'd come out but he ultimately stayed.   He's a do it all type.  Like a Kmet. 

He makes JOK more valuable because there is someone to clean up when JOK takes an aggressive risk. 

He’s an excellent player. He and Christian Harris lead the way for the D next year in my eyes and both are likely top 10 selections.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 10:01 PM, JoggingGod said:

If I go with your hypothetical which implies that Washington has a good to great season which puts them out of the running for a top 3 pick then I am absolutely fine with punting on QB because if we are winning 10, 11, 12 games then we have a QB. Maybe it's Fitz. Maybe it's Heinicke. If, it's Fitz, we can extend him for a three year window. If it's Heinicke, same thing. We add years to his contract. On the other hand, if we suck then we will be in the running for a top QB.

So, here's to hoping we're too good to draft the top QB in the 2022 draft. Hell, Here's to really frustrating the QB or bust crowd. Let's shock the world, win another division, and make it to the Championship game. Imagine the horror of that!

But, but, but... If that happens... we'll never be able to draft the QB we want.