Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Then you sign Fitz for another year and you still have TH on a 2 year contract. 

Oh cool so a 40 year old and someone who hasn't proven jack ****.

Does this board ever get tired ot rationalizing mediocre-crappy QBs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

And you want to reach high into the 1st to get that QB that might not even pan out. Is that more rational? Why not go for something that is more attainable right now. 

You are not seeing the fact that with our D and adding more to our OL which gives any QB the comfort they need to deliver the ball to where they want to. You don't need a Mahomes. You might want one and so do rest of the 31 teams. Reality is totally different though. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

A 43 year old just won another Super bowl. And that unproven QB came extremely close to beating that 43 year old. Just sayin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, zskins said:

And you want to reach high into the 1st to get that QB that might not even pan out

Yes I do because that’s the only way we’re going to compete for a championship. You need a physically gifted QB that you can take advantage of on their rookie contract.

2 hours ago, mudhog said:

A 43 year old just won another Super bowl. And that unproven QB came extremely close to beating that 43 year old. Just sayin.

Ryan isn’t even remotely like Tom Brady but ok

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zskins said:

You don't need a Mahomes. You might want one and so do rest of the 31 teams. Reality is totally different though. 

That's right.  Only *30* other teams want a Mahomes.  Well, ok, if he's willing to take a huge pay cut and backup the GOAT..., then 31.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Yes I do because that’s the only way we’re going to compete for a championship. You need a physically gifted QB that you can take advantage of on their rookie contract.

Ryan isn’t even remotely like Tom Brady but ok

Not at the price you are willing to give up for it and by crippling the team when there are other needs/holes that needs to be filled. 

We don't have a QB named Ryan, by the way his name is Taylor. You missed the point of unproven QB almost beating Tom. 

When you have a good line and a D any QB not named Tom Brady can win the SB. You don't need a super duper QB. Maybe it is cool for you to have one or dream of. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zskins said:

Not at the price you are willing to give up for it and by crippling the team when there are other needs/holes that needs to be filled. 

We don't have a QB named Ryan, by the way his name is Taylor. You missed the point of unproven QB almost beating Tom. 

When you have a good line and a D any QB not named Tom Brady can win the SB. You don't need a super duper QB. Maybe it is cool for you to have one or dream of. 

A mediocre QB with a great surrounding cast and defense can potentially win a SB, but it very rarely happens (Foles, Flacco, Dilfer). Teams that are perennial contenders and are a threat to go all the way every season have top QBs. Them's jus the facts. 

And just a pet peeve...can we stop talking about how Heinicke "almost beat Tom Brady"? They weren't arm wrestling or going through a QB competition in the middle of the field while everyone watched. Heinicke wasn't playing against Tom Brady. He was playing against the Tampa defense.

As far as your previous post about reaching high in the 1st vs developing Heinicke, it really comes down to potential at that point. If the coach/FO views Heinicke as having a ceiling of a Fitzpatrick (that's sort of my thinking) and they view one of the prospects in the draft as having the ceiling of a Mahomes or Rodgers then you draft that QB, no questions asked.

And it's not really all that persuasive to say that Heinicke is more of a known commodity than the rookie, because he's only started 2 games in his entire career. They're both somewhat blanks slates but one has a much higher potential than the other.

32 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Correction: Alex Smith was along for the ride while our defense won six games, mostly against bad teams.

Disagree. Our other QBs didn’t do what the team did under Smith in 2018 or 2020. Yes, the D was the car. Smith was the driver.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, DJHJR86 said:

Fitzpatrick isn't a "gunslinger" in the vein of a Favre or Grossman.  He's also never thrown over 4,000 yards and has only thrown for over 25 touchdowns once.  

Since Kirk left, we haven't either.  Not a Redskins QB by himself, not the entire team added up over a season.

The reason he hasn't done it is because he doesn't get to play the entire season.  The reason we haven't is because our QBs suck.

However, in the last three years, Fitzpatrick has thrown three TDs in one game nine times.  A Washington QB has only done it once in that time (plus an additional time where Haskins and Keenum combined for three TDs).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Our other QBs didn’t do what the team did under Smith in 2018 or 2020. Yes, the D was the car. Smith was the driver.

Smith never threw three TDs in a game for us.  He threw two touchdowns only three times, all in the first five games he was here.

Smith wasn't the driver, he wasn't even riding shotgun. He was in the trunk.

Edited by Tsailand

45 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Smith never threw three TDs in a game for us.  He threw two touchdowns only three times, all in the first five games he was here.

Smith wasn't the driver, he wasn't even riding shotgun. He was in the trunk.

You’re wrong but that’s cool.

There's more to football than just statistics. Clearly you're not a believer in that aspect of quarterback play, so the discussion is lost with you. Just know I don't agree in the least with that notion and I have no interest in continuing this conversation with you because I get the sense you don't really even want to have a conversation and you just want to flex your stat muscles.

Edited by KDawg

I've always had a theory that Alex Smith is the ultimate defense whisperer. His boring style of play that takes 7-9 minutes to score every time is incredible for a defense. Keeps them fresh, the less they're on the field, the better statistically a defense is going to be. Even when Alex Smith was in Kansas City he was accompanied by a top 10 defense, and I don't think their defense was talented at all. 

I would be shocked if our defense didn't take a statistical hit next year with Fitzpatrick at QB, even if they pass the eye test of being improved. That said, he's obviously the better QB. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

I think he means Fitzpatrick...

I don't remember Fitz playing against Brady in the playoff game this year though. 

6 hours ago, mudhog said:

Subconsciously, I knew his first name was Ryan. Yet, I've never heard anyone call him just 'Ryan'. I was as lost as zskins 🤪

You said in your original post that an unproved QB almost beat Brady. That would not be Ryan though. Did you subconsciously wrote the whole sentence wrong then? lol

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I don't remember Fitz playing against Brady in the playoff game this year though. 

You said in your original post that an unproved QB almost beat Brady. That would not be Ryan though. Did you subconsciously wrote the whole sentence wrong then? lol

Lol, No. You were replying to JG that we don't have a QB named Ryan. At that moment, I was with you, and agreeing that we didn't have a QB named Ryan. A few posts later, Stefanskins cleared it all up for me. Thus, my post. I understand I am not always the quickest, but I come around in the end🙃

My whole point was in reply to JG. He was pining that we ES'ers have been largely giddy at the signing of Fitzmagic (who is old), and TH (who is unproven). I pointed out that Brady is older than Fitzmagic, and that TH almost rallied the team to beat Brady in the WC game. And honestly, with better LB play, I believe we could have pulled it off.

Edited by mudhog
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I would hate to be a Bears fan right now trying to get hyped about Andy Dalton. Glad we got Fitzpatrick, these Twitter comments are gold. 

I'm fond of Andy Dalton.  He enabled us to complete the Dallasweep in 2020.  He will be missed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, mistertim said:

A mediocre QB with a great surrounding cast and defense can potentially win a SB, but it very rarely happens (Foles, Flacco, Dilfer). Teams that are perennial contenders and are a threat to go all the way every season have top QBs. Them's jus the facts. 

And just a pet peeve...can we stop talking about how Heinicke "almost beat Tom Brady"? They weren't arm wrestling or going through a QB competition in the middle of the field while everyone watched. Heinicke wasn't playing against Tom Brady. He was playing against the Tampa defense.

As far as your previous post about reaching high in the 1st vs developing Heinicke, it really comes down to potential at that point. If the coach/FO views Heinicke as having a ceiling of a Fitzpatrick (that's sort of my thinking) and they view one of the prospects in the draft as having the ceiling of a Mahomes or Rodgers then you draft that QB, no questions asked.

And it's not really all that persuasive to say that Heinicke is more of a known commodity than the rookie, because he's only started 2 games in his entire career. They're both somewhat blanks slates but one has a much higher potential than the other.

The point is if you don't have to sell the farm to move up then you don't and that has nothing to do with what Heinicke can do or what he will bring to the table. 

The comment about Heinicke was response to another poster's post. I know our D **** the bed in that game and let Tom win. When our D has held the opponent to less than 21 points we have won. Tampa had more than 21 points. We lost. It was simple as that. 

Taylor he has been in NFL longer and has started more than just two games but I understand that his durability is a concern. A rookie does look enticing. The price and value has to be evaluated of course. I am not in the camp of let's get a QB in the 1st round no matter what and Fitz is old. If you don't have to give up a lot to get the QB that you want this year then yes I am okay with that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

The point is if you don't have to sell the farm to move up then you don't and that has nothing to do with what Heinicke can do or what he will bring to the table. 

The comment about Heinicke was response to another poster's post. I know our D **** the bed in that game and let Tom win. When our D has held the opponent to less than 21 points we have won. Tampa had more than 21 points. We lost. It was simple as that. 

Taylor he has been in NFL longer and has started more than just two games but I understand that his durability is a concern. A rookie does look enticing. The price and value has to be evaluated of course. I am not in the camp of let's get a QB in the 1st round no matter what and Fitz is old. If you don't have to give up a lot to get the QB that you want this year then yes I am okay with that. 

I guess that then depends on how "sell the farm" is defined. But sometimes you have to take a shot. I'm not saying I'd be down with an RG3 level trade again, but something a bit smaller I'd be ok with if they truly believed he was "the guy". I doubt KC has regrets about giving up a fair amount to get Mahomes, even though they had a decent proven QB already and had just been to the playoffs. If the guy you get ends up being an elite QB you're not going to look back and say "Man, I miss that 1st and 2nd rounder we gave up".

As far as Heinicke, he's started 2 games in his career. 1 vs ATL in 2018 and the game last year vs TB.

• Like 1

Taylor Heinicke was watching film on the Miami Dolphins with Alex Smith during the regular season when 38-year-old Ryan Fitzpatrick flashed on the screen.

Heinicke, 28, has only played in nine games, so hasn't had much of a chance to play against the journeyman signal-caller. Seeing as Smith was drafted in the same year as Fitzpatrick, he had to ask, "Hey, do you know Fitzy?"

"Oh yeah, he's awesome," Heinicke remembers Smith saying. "A great guy."

Flash forward about three months, and Heinicke will soon get the chance to know Fitzpatrick himself. Fitzpatrick headlines the Washington Football Team's 2021 free agency class that features wideout Curtis Samuel and cornerback William Jackson III, both of whom were some of the top players available at their respective positions. The signings have drawn heaps of praise from analysts, and their new teammates are just as excited to see how they can help build on Washington's success last season.

"We've put together some great pieces, and we have a great defense," Heinicke told senior vice president of media and content Julie Donaldson. "So again, I think we're all excited for this year."

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/washington-football-players-react-free-agency-2021

• Like 3

On 3/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, zskins said:

Yeah, you do need a super duper QB to win a SB.

At least in the last 30 years or so....🤷‍♂️

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH