Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Rivera break the Snyder curse of no back to back playoff appearances?

Will Rivera break the Snyder curse of no back to back playoff appearances?

Playoff appearances have been few and far between under Dan Snyder.  1999, we make the playoffs in his first year as owner. 2000 we miss the playoffs and that season saw Norv fired with 3 games left.  2005 in Gibbs second year, he makes the playoffs but his misses the playoffs in 2006. 2007, Gibbs final year; he makes the playoffs but retires.  Zorn fails to make the playoffs the next year. Shanny makes the playoffs in his 3rd year in 2012, with that magical run by RG3.  Things crash and burn the next year and he's fired. 2015, sees Jay winning making the playoffs in his second year.  He barely has a winning season the next year but misses the playoffs.

Dan Snyder has never had a team that has made back to back playoff appearances.  Only once under Snyder did we even have back to back winning seasons and that was under Jay.  Gibbs was the only coach with more than one playoff appearance.  Will Ron will break that curse?   He made a surprising 1st year playoff appearance by winning the division with the 7-9 record.

While I think the Team will be better, if we find better QB play in 2021; that doesn't necessarily mean a return playoff spot. We won the division because the NFC East collapsed in 2020. That's how we won the division in 2015.

Skins: 9-7

Eagles: 7-9

Giants: 6-10

Boys: 4-12

Boys: 13-3

Giants: 11-5

Skins: 8-7-1

Eagles: 7-9

I would expect the NFC East to be better in 2021. We also have a tougher schedule this year; so while we may be better, it may not necessarily be reflected in the record.   We could be 8-8 or 9-7 this year and miss out.   I hope Ron can break the curse.  I am bullish on his era but I just don't think even he will be able to escape the Snyder curse.  At least not yet.    

• Like 1

The Dolphins missed the playoffs this year in the AFC at 10-6, even in the first year with three wildcard teams per conference going to the postseason. They could've been 11-5 if they hadnt crapped the bed in the season finale vs Buffalo, who had nothing to play for. 

WFT is gonna have a tougher schedule for sure, even if just by virtue of now having to play three first place teams in the divisions that they wont play in entirety. For whatever reason, I think Ron gets it done this year, and we return to the playoffs

I just think the Snyder curse is too powerful. I don't think Ron can overcome the curse just yet.  Probably, needs a couple of more offseasons: 21,22 for him to have the team that can break the curse and be a playoff regular.   If Snyder is suspended, that would be a good sign.  If he's forced to sell, even better.  Good karma.  

With essentially the same roster as last year, no I don’t see us making the playoffs. Although it really is difficult to assess the ‘quality’ of our division. 

Three or four key roster additions, which should be achievable with our available resources, and yes I think we win the division with double digit wins. 

The NFC East has augered itself into the ground. Complete shell of its former self......we will win the division easily next year. 

My prediction:

Giants can't win with Jones

Eagles have become what we used to be.

Cowboys....Dak won't be back and if he is, his leg will prove to be an issue. 

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its unlikely only because the NFC East hasn't had a repeat winner since the Eagles did it in 03-04.

Correct in that the NFC East hasn’t had a repeat DIVISION CHAMP. 

however, all the OP is asking is will rivera take this team to back to back playoff appearances. Don’t have to win the division to make the playoffs (it would be preferable though)

your response would only make sense if the question was would we win the division back to back years. 

7 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No, this team isn't making the playoffs in 2021. 

I would bet against them making the playoffs too.  Divisional teams getting healthier and tougher schedule.  I'm not discouraged about it though, as stupid as it sounds, I think this team can still make progress in the right direction and miss the playoffs.   Even with a decent offseason, I'm not sure we can expect to win 10+ games.  And the odds of one of the other three doing it are pretty decent.  If we aren't in the playoffs in 2022, then I'll definitely be concerned. 

Btw, I didn't realize how futuristic 2022 looked until I just typed it out.  Man I'm getting old.

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Correct in that the NFC East hasn’t had a repeat DIVISION CHAMP. 

however, all the OP is asking is will rivera take this team to back to back playoff appearances. Don’t have to win the division to make the playoffs (it would be preferable though)

your response would only make sense if the question was would we win the division back to back years. 

Have to get the QB position figured out or we ain't making the postseason in any form or fashion.

We’re not making the playoffs next year as currently constructed.  I know people will point to how hard our schedule is next year, playing 1st place teams like GB, Seattle, and Buffalo (our 17th game next year).  I’m not too concerned at the moment about the schedule, but more on who will be leading us at QB in 2021.

If we can’t find an FA QB to roll with (Carr, Marriota or Dak), and we just play Heinecke or Allen, we’re not winning more than 6 or 7 games next year.  We have a pretty terrible situation at QB, so as long as that persists, we’re nowhere near good enough to be considered a contender.  If the Cowboys get Dak back, he can easily get them to 8-9 wins, and win the division.  What we do at QB, will also determine how our FA across the board goes.  

If we don’t improve our QB situation dramatically, I don’t see how an Allen Robinson, or a Curtis Samuel signs with Washington.  They would rather sign with teams with a competent QB.

Edited by samy316
1 hour ago, samy316 said:

We’re not making the playoffs next year as currently constructed.  I know people will point to how hard our schedule is next year, playing 1st place teams like GB, Seattle, and Buffalo (our 17th game next year).  I’m not too concerned at the moment about the schedule, but more on who will be leading us at QB in 2021.

If we can’t find an FA QB to roll with (Carr, Marriota or Dak), and we just play Heinecke or Allen, we’re not winning more than 6 or 7 games next year.  We have a pretty terrible situation at QB, so as long as that persists, we’re nowhere near good enough to be considered a contender.  If the Cowboys get Dak back, he can easily get them to 8-9 wins, and win the division.  What we do at QB, will also determine how our FA across the board goes.  

If we don’t improve our QB situation dramatically, I don’t see how an Allen Robinson, or a Curtis Samuel signs with Washington.  They would rather sign with teams with a competent QB.

Only Dak is a free agent, unless he gets tagged. Honestly, I'd prefer we get our WR in the draft. Much cheaper. Develop our own WRs.  So, if we don't get that veteran QB before free agency, that's fine.  Our long term QB Will only be found in the draft.

Not when people talk about it. Curses stay around when cursed fans keep it alive. It like talking about a no-hitter in the 8th inning. Quiet yourselves! 

If you believe in that ****.

Edited by joeken24
add
  • Thanks 1

It's possible. The question is, can we upgrade the defense just a bit and maintain it through the season. If we can do what we did last year (especially the last six games or so) and add the ability to cover tight ends and running backs out of the back field then we probably can get back to the playoffs. 

If we can somehow combo last year's defense with an average/above average offense, we might even make noise in the playoffs. After all, we did give Tom Brady a run for his money with our fourth string QB, our best receiver playing on one leg, and our most dangerous running back hobbled with a toe injury.

• Like 1

If the season started today as the rosters stand, we win the NFC East.

Let's talk about this more post draft :)

But let's assume every team in our division does well in FA and the draft.  Most likely outcome is:

Dallas: 9-11 wins

NY: 8-10 wins

Washington: 7-9 wins

Eagles: 4-6 wins