Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Legendary NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer dies at 77

redskinss

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ha, wasn't he famous for that Oklahoma drill ?

Not so famous with the player tho, lol

You are correct, he was famous for the Oklahoma drill

16 minutes ago, dyst said:

Very sad for his family. Very good football coach. Honestly, him leaving here was probably best for him. Also that video above, the team sucked, tied the score, then missed the FG gimmie before going into overtime. This team has been pathetic all the way through Snyders ownership.

Very true, he deserved better but it was very disappointing to see him leave since Marty could have gotten the Redskins in the playoffs for multiple years 

His downfall here was he wanted total personnel control, which he was absolutely awful at. 2001 was perhaps the worst draft of the Snyder era, and he gave big contracts to yes men like Donell while cutting Larry Centers just to prove he was the boss. And he hired the worst OC I have ever seen in Jimmy Raye. Snyder told him he could stay on if he allowed a GM and fired Raye. Schot refused, than got hired by SD under the provisos that he have no control over personnel, and couldn't hire Jimmy Raye.

I have no problem moving on from him - Gibbs 2 won as many playoff games in 4 years as Shottenheimer and Shanahan combined won in their last ten years. The reason here oeople irrationally pine for his mediocrity is that El Dano replaced him with Spurrier and Vinny Bugeyes.

Marty was a good guy, but an average coach, quite honestly. His w/l stats are grossly inflated by the fact that he spent his entire career coaching in the weakest divisions. He had the most talented roster in the NFL and still couldn't beat Mark Sanchez Jets in the playoffs. Norvo the Clown took the team further, and nobody misses him.

I remember the season before Schottenheimer was hired here, he was working for ESPN on one of their NFL shows and when asked about the Redskins coaching job he said "I could never work for Dan Snyder".

When he was named our coach, not only was I shocked, but I was extremely excited. I thought we were getting a great coach, who was going to get us back on track as a perennial playoff contender.

Unfortunately, he was fired after a coach of the year worthy season and if Snyder gave him the chance to stay here to build and coach the team his way, I have little doubt Schottenheimer would have had us playing meaningful December football regularly.  

23 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Marty was a good guy, but an average coach, quite honestly. 

Average for the league maybe, but very good in hindsight compared to the absolute clown show HCs we got afterwards on multiple occasions. Having said that, he's #8 on the list of HC with the most wins, I think?

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'll forever remember one play from that season. Which seemed to flip that season on its head.

We were 0-5.

We were down 14-0. About to go to 0-6

Then this play by LaVar.

Suddenly after that, we went 8-3.

I cant believe I heard Berman make a Chauncey Gardner reference 

37 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

His downfall here was he wanted total personnel control, which he was absolutely awful at. 2001 was perhaps the worst draft of the Snyder era, and he gave big contracts to yes men like Donell while cutting Larry Centers just to prove he was the boss. And he hired the worst OC I have ever seen in Jimmy Raye. Snyder told him he could stay on if he allowed a GM and fired Raye. Schot refused, than got hired by SD under the provisos that he have no control over personnel, and couldn't hire Jimmy Raye.

I have no problem moving on from him - Gibbs 2 won as many playoff games in 4 years as Shottenheimer and Shanahan combined won in their last ten years. The reason here oeople irrationally pine for his mediocrity is that El Dano replaced him with Spurrier and Vinny Bugeyes.

Marty was a good guy, but an average coach, quite honestly. His w/l stats are grossly inflated by the fact that he spent his entire career coaching in the weakest divisions. He had the most talented roster in the NFL and still couldn't beat Mark Sanchez Jets in the playoffs. Norvo the Clown took the team further, and nobody misses him.

Marty fired Vinny.  Far as I'm concerned he should be in the ROH just for that.  Yeah he had a bad draft and yeah he ruffled some feathers with a few veteran players, but the young players bought into him and that's when things turned around and I think things would have ascended.  Good for Marty not giving into Dan's demands.  

RIP Marty

Damn. That sucks. I was a Schottenheimer fan going back to his days as HC for the Browns. I distinctly remember and loved his devotion to running the ball with Byner and Mack. Later, after he came to coach the WFT, I became an even bigger fan when he basically told Lord Farquaad to eff off. They don’t make ‘em like Marty anymore.

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

I remember the season before Schottenheimer was hired here, he was working for ESPN on one of their NFL shows and when asked about the Redskins coaching job he said "I could never work for Dan Snyder".

When he was named our coach, not only was I shocked, but I was extremely excited. I thought we were getting a great coach, who was going to get us back on track as a perennial playoff contender.

Unfortunately, he was fired after a coach of the year worthy season and if Snyder gave him the chance to stay here to build and coach the team his way, I have little doubt Schottenheimer would have had us playing meaningful December football regularly.  

If he did not want to work for Snyder then I wonder why he changed his mind? I think Marty regrets working for Synder since he only lasted for 1 year

1 hour ago, The Sisko said:

Damn. That sucks. I was a Schottenheimer fan going back to his days as HC for the Browns. I distinctly remember and loved his devotion to running the ball with Byner and Mack. Later, after he came to coach the WFT, I became an even bigger fan when he basically told Lord Farquaad to eff off. They don’t make ‘em like Marty anymore.

Watching his teams with Bo, Allen and Okoya was magical. Its directly when I started watching Safeties play because of Reeves using A****er as a direct result. I loved that era

50 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Oh the other thing he was famous for, is remember when he claimed rights to Deion Sanders, to keep him from signing with another team ?

Had something to do with something Sanders did in Washington, but I can't remember

It was because Deion retired rather than play for Marty here lol

6 hours ago, El Mexican said:

His team was packed with talent.

Banks came out of nowhere and added stability to the position. Davis was tremedous at RB. Good O-Line. Scary defense.

And despite all the flack Westbrook and Gardner received I could see them as an upgrade over our current WRs 😬

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Outside of a couple guys there was basically no talent and he squeezed out 8-8.

Interesting, completely opposite spectrum of takes, regarding the same roster.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Interesting, completely opposite spectrum of takes, regarding the same roster.

It’s like reading two RWJ posts from consecutive days!*

*forgive me @RWJ it was too easy! I couldn’t help myself. Last time 

8 hours ago, El Mexican said:

It's fair to say that in the last 20 years Marty was the best coach around here after Gibbs.

His team was packed with talent.

Banks came out of nowhere and added stability to the position. Davis was tremedous at RB. Good O-Line. Scary defense.

And despite all the flack Westbrook and Gardner received I could see them as an upgrade over our current WRs 😬

Thank's for the memories, Marty. We still appreciate you around here.

I can agree with most of this, but the stuff about the WRs, no. Just no. Scary Terry > Westbroke AND 50/50 put together. With the latter two we had maybe 3/4ths of a WR corps. With Scary Terry plus a bunch of guys, we’ve got 1 and a half. That’s not really enough to win with in today’s NFL, but it’s twice as much as we had with those two bums. If you add a legit #2 to Westbroke and 50/50, you’re barely up to where we are with Scary Terry and a bunch of guys. Scary Terry plus a legit #2 WR is a full outside WR tandem. If Davis had been able to run with a WR corp that actually scared anyone, he’d probably have gotten close to 17 or 1800 yards. I can only imagine what might have happened if Marty hadn’t been saddled with the Lord Farquaad special at QB, i.e. Jeff George to start the season. Given Marty’s history of playoff futility, it’s more than fair to say we might have only won a single game in the playoffs if even that, but it’s also possible that it would have been the one season where he bucked his teams’ historical performances and made it to the SB, possibly winning it. Not likely, but certainly possible. However, I seriously doubt even Shady Brady could win a SB with the likes of what we had at WR in 2001.

Oh, LaVar rips organization. Imagine that.

I don’t want to be a part of any of your tributes*,” Arrington said. “I don’t want to be a part of anything honoring Coach Schottenheimer for you guys to put out there and act as though there was this amazing moment in time in Washington with Coach Schottenheimer now that he’s passed away.”

*"That don't involve me!"

Seriously, shut the **** up LaVar. Only a complete self-centered, narcissistic asshole would make Schottenheimer's death about him. But, really, in no way am I surprised.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Oh, LaVar rips organization. Imagine that.

*"That don't involve me!"

Seriously, shut the **** up LaVar. Only a complete self-centered, narcissistic asshole would make Schottenheimer's death about him. But, really, in no way am I surprised.

Does that really shock you? He did the same thing with Sean Taylor’s death and got the ire of both Portis and Moss.

Archived