Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Legendary NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer dies at 77

RIP Marty, and prayers to him and his family. Dont know/think that he wouldve gotten a trophy in DC, but nonetheless will always be linked to Snyder as probably Dan's first major screwup in firing him, all in pursuit of Bobby Beathard who we didnt wind up luring back anyway.

• Like 1

We did lure Bobby back, but after lowballing him at 500k (which he agreed to) Snyder's rep refused to add any incentives for playoff wins or pro-bowlers. Snyder subsequently refused to return Beathard's calls, because deep down he wanted Vinny back.

"There's a gleam, men. There's a GLEAM." 

RIP, Marty. 

Awful learning awhile back he was struggling with alzheimer's. Only here a year, but made a lasting impact. 

Another terrible decision by Snyder to fire him after that impressive season. 

• Like 3

I thought we were gonna win a SB with him after we went on that run in '01. I felt bad when he lost to NE in '06 with that stacked Chargers team. I could kinda read the tea leaves in that that was his last shot. 

He made a difference everywhere he coached, man. Its so terrible that he went out like this. I wouldn't wish alzheimers on anyone

• Like 3

He was my second (to Gibbs) favorite HC of all time. I loved the Chiefs when he was there. I was too young for his Bowns decade. 

I really wish he could have given us a decade. Marty-Ball is a major reason that I fell in love with this game. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I thought we were gonna win a SB with him after we went on that run in '01. I felt bad when he lost to NE in '06 with that stacked Chargers team. I could kinda read the tea leaves in that that was his last shot. 

He made a difference everywhere he coached, man. Its so terrible that he went out like this. I wouldn't wish alzheimers on anyone

It is really a shame about that Chargers team, if Chargers defeated the Patriots, Chargers would have won the Superbowl

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'll forever remember one play from that season. Which seemed to flip that season on its head.

We were 0-5.

We were down 14-0. About to go to 0-6

Then this play by LaVar.

Suddenly after that, we went 5-3.

I don't remember much from that season, so this was quite the flashback.  I remember that game and the turn around it fueled. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'll forever remember one play from that season. Which seemed to flip that season on its head.

It's fair to say that in the last 20 years Marty was the best coach around here after Gibbs.

His team was packed with talent.

Banks came out of nowhere and added stability to the position. Davis was tremedous at RB. Good O-Line. Scary defense.

And despite all the flack Westbrook and Gardner received I could see them as an upgrade over our current WRs 😬

Thank's for the memories, Marty. We still appreciate you around here.

• Like 3

The criticism of Marty never making it to a SB is legit (and his 5-13 overall playoff record was terrible), but who knows if he would've won any of those SBs if he had made it. Much of his head coaching career was in a timeframe when the NFC was obliterating the AFC in the big game. 

6 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Banks came out of nowhere and added stability to the position.

They needed better than Tony Banks. Two out of the eight wins down the stretch was courtesy of Kent Graham coming in and leading the team to victory. Graham probably was no better than, say, a Todd Collins, but if Marty had stuck with him after the Denver game that year, we may have wound up better than 8-8. 

As for Marty and Gibbs, if we could've gotten Gibbs to come back in 2001, I would've taken him over Marty then. But with the benefit of hindsight, I would rather have had Marty here from 2001-2007 than having Gibbs 2.0 from 2004-2007. 

Edited by hail2skins
6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

The criticism of Marty never making it to a SB is legit (and his 5-13 overall playoff record was terrible), but who knows if he would've won any of those SBs if he had made it. Much of his head coaching career was in a timeframe when the NFC was obliterating the AFC in the big game. 

They needed better than Tony Banks. Two out of the eight wins down the stretch was courtesy of Kent Graham coming in and leading the team to victory. Graham probably was no better than, say, a Todd Collins, but if Marty had stuck with him after the Denver game that year, we may have wound up better than 8-8. 

Yeah, Marty’s playoff record was terrible but he turned awful teams around and he should be in the Hall of Fame just for that

Edited by KWilliamsAWinfield
21 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

Yeah, Marty’s playoff record was terrible but he turned awful teams around and he should be in the Hall of Fame just for that

Still pretty amazing what he did with the Chargers. I was a teenager back then, so old enough to remember them being AWFUL.  They turned into a damn juggernaut, but he lost out to AJ Smith in that whole FO debacle.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

I don't remember much from that season, so this was quite the flashback.  I remember that game and the turn around it fueled. Thanks for sharing.

59 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

It's fair to say that in the last 20 years Marty was the best coach around here after Gibbs.

His team was packed with talent.

Banks came out of nowhere and added stability to the position. Davis was tremedous at RB. Good O-Line. Scary defense.

And despite all the flack Westbrook and Gardner received I could see them as an upgrade over our current WRs 😬

Thank's for the memories, Marty. We still appreciate you around here.

Oh by the way, I had to make a major correction regarding our turnaround that year.

Initially I wrote that we finished 5-3, after starting 0-5, and falling behind 14-0 in the sixth game.

But we actually went 8-3 to finish the season. Finishing 8-8, even better than 2020

Also wanted to mention Tony Banks, and he was a bit under-rated. At least compared to the QB's we've had. He was actually better than a lot of the QB's we've had during our long futile stretches we've had.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
42 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

we actually went 8-3 to finish the season. Finishing 8-8, even better than 2020

It was the same thing Gibbs did in 81.

When we did it with Marty everybody was reminiscing about Gibbs first year as a redskin

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

We did lure Bobby back, but after lowballing him at 500k (which he agreed to) Snyder's rep refused to add any incentives for playoff wins or pro-bowlers. Snyder subsequently refused to return Beathard's calls, because deep down he wanted Vinny back.

Snyder has a slew of blunders, but that is probably his biggest.

RIP Marty

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

Banks was getting Heinicke'd the first few throws of that video.  Was that good, ol' 50/50 dropping one?

RIP Marty.  You deserved better than Snyder.

Which I don't get.  Snyder was obviously around to watch Gibbs going from 0-5 to 8-3 to 8-1 (strike) SB champs.  Here Snyder brings in a new coach who does the 0-5 season turnaround but doesn't bother to strive for the rest of the paradigm.  Headsmack.

• Like 1

R.I.P. If Dan Snyder wasn’t such an ignoramous you would have won consistently here.  I trusted you more than anybody other than Gibbs to build it the right way.  Sad to have seen you go so soon.  I was excited the day you were hired!

Very sad for his family. Very good football coach. Honestly, him leaving here was probably best for him. Also that video above, the team sucked, tied the score, then missed the FG gimmie before going into overtime. This team has been pathetic all the way through Snyders ownership.

• Like 1