Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Long Time NFL Coach Marty Schottenheimer Dies at 77

Dan T.

Former NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer died Monday after dealing with Alzheimer's disease for many years. He was 77.

Schottenheimer was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014. He was moved to a hospice facility near his home in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Jan. 30 due to complications from the irreversible, progressive brain disorder.

Schottenheimer was a head coach for 21 seasons in the NFL, leading the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington and the Chargers.

He posted a 205-139-1 career record, including the playoffs, leading his teams to the postseason 13 times.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30866875/nfl-coaching-legend-marty-schottenheimer-dies-77

Probably the best coach to never win a Super Bowl, which was sad.  

I was pissed when Snyder fired him.  0-5 then 5-0 with Stephen Davis as his bell cow back, I thought we could have been good for years to come.  He got that team to 8-8 and in the playoff hunt with Tony Banks, Kent Graham and Jeff George as the quarterbacks.  50-50 and gump-ass Michael Westbrook were the main receivers.  Getting a team with guys like that at skill positions into the playoff hunt was a miracle.  

It wasn't all bad, there were some good pieces, Chris Samuels and Jon Janesen on the O-line, Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot, LaVar Arrington.  

Things were looking up.  It was sad that he got fired, IIRC there were rumors that Darrell Green was behind it.  

Anyway, RIP to coach Schottenheimer.  One of the good ones.

The only issue I had with Marty during his time here was his handling of Larry Centers.

One anecdote I remember from his time with the Browns involves lessons learned from The Fumble.  Marty used it as a teaching tool in the future that everyone needs to do their job, and that the fumble wasn't solely Earnest Byner's fault.

On the play, Browns WR Webster Slaughter was split to the left.  On the draw play that was called, he was supposed to run a route to sell the play as a pass play.  Instead, after the snap, he started his route but then broke it off in order to look back and watch the play. This allowed the guy guarding him to peel off, shoot right for Byner, and cause the fumble.  Marty points out this small miscue by Slaughter, seemingly not a big part of the play as designed, had huge implications.  His point was that doing the small things right matters.

RIP Marty.

Archived