Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations Alex Smith--NFL Comeback Player of the Year

Just now, Xameil said:

Are you actually asking if it was a June 1st cut on March 5th?

Yep!  Cap shenanigans are fun!

You can designate a player to be cut "on June 1st", but actually cut them immediately.  That player can then go and seek out contracts with another team.  Most importantly, it shifts half of the Dead Cap from 2021 to the following season (2022).  But as a result, the team has to keep his contract on the books until June 1.  Then it comes off.  With cap rollover, June 1 cuts make sense as long as you have ample room to begin with.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Alex Smith was cleaning out his locker, and leaving the premises, when a staff member stopped him, and said,

"HEY !!!"

"Alex !!!"

"You forgot something. You left this in your locker. Your 5-1 record. We have no use for that. So take it with you, will ya ?"

Did he also ask Alex to take his 34.8 QBR with him?

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He took it right to the playoffs. :D

lol

During a postseason run a baseball team has a dominant offense that averages 8 runs per game during that time.

The pitcher during the same run has an ERA of 6.5

Most people: "We had a dominant offense that was killing it and averaging 8 runs per game; the team rode them into the playoffs"

Some people: "We rode our pitcher into into the playoffs because he only allowed an average of 7 runs per game. He just wins"

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

lol

During a postseason run a baseball team has a dominant offense that averages 8 runs per game during that time.

The pitcher during the same run has an ERA of 6.5

Most people: "We had a dominant offense that was killing it and averaging 8 runs per game; the team rode them into the playoffs"

Some people: "We rode our pitcher into into the playoffs because he only allowed an average of 7 runs per game. He just wins"

I don't want to hear any logical BS. He won games and got us to the playoffs. He's a burgundy unicorn like RG3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

0-1 in the playoffs is ring of fame material around here! I don't care what it looks like. 

Last time we won a playoff game the team had 41 passing yards, but lost 16 yards from sacks...bringing us to only a net 25 yards on passing plays.

I don't have a point, just think it's funny going along with your comment.

• Haha 1

Joey T doesn't play on the team anymore, but I remember seeing threads about him in the Stadium. (And actually countless other Redskin Teamers, no longer with the team)

Once a Redskin, always a Redskin...

Until you're a Football Teamer. In which case, you're always a Football Teamer. Hence, once you're a Redskin, always a Football Teamer

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

Lots of interesting debate over Smith, and the merits of his time here, bottom line, all that aside it was simply a very logical time to move on. Record, QBR, injury status, contract, whatever else. Got to know when to move on. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Which matters more to you: the QBR or the winning percentage?

Both I suppose, but they're not in a vacuum. If you're looking at wins and you want to figure out why you won, you look at the performance of each unit and individual on the team. There are several ways to evaluate units and players.

For units you can look at total yards gained and allowed, total points scored and allowed, ground and air yards gained and allowed, all that stuff.

For individual performances there are several ways as well...one is watching tape, internal grading systems, or external grading such as PFF or others.

For QBs you can look at a few different metrics: a couple of main ones being passer rating and QBR. Obviously there are other proprietary ones that others have come up with as well.

Either way, it's incredibly hard to take all of that above info about units and players into account through Alex's games and look at him and say he was any sort of main reason that they won. By pretty much any metric (even the eye test in film) he just wasn't good outside of a couple of quarters. By established metrics like QBR he was actually dreadful. 

So they both matter to me. And they both have to be taken into account. In this instance, I look at both and I see a team that won despite poor QB play, not because of the QB play.

If we're going by your logic then Mark Sanchez in 2009 "just wins" and was one of the main reasons the Jets almost got to the Super Bowl. But pretty much nobody in their right mind would look at his performance, ratings, etc and actually say that.

• Thanks 1

Rivera agrees with most of what Smith said in his GQ interview.

And last season, understandably, Rivera was concerned for both Smith (for obvious reasons), as well as his own reputation, if something bad happened to Alex.

And he said Smith appreciated Ron's perception. Does not sound at all like ill will,, from either side.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ron-rivera-doesn-t-disagree-with-a-lot-of-what-alex-smith-said-worried-every-day

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 11:18 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Rivera agrees with most of what Smith said in his GQ interview.

And last season, understandably, Rivera was concerned for both Smith (for obvious reasons), as well as his own reputation, if something bad happened to Alex.

And he said Smith appreciated Ron's perception. Does not sound at all like ill will,, from either side.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ron-rivera-doesn-t-disagree-with-a-lot-of-what-alex-smith-said-worried-every-day

This pretty much sums up what I said when this came out and what Ron said confirms that...

I cannot blame him or his staff for being really apprehensive about Smith when they took over.  All the feelings Ron said he had about it are all the same things most normal people would feel.  At the same time, I can understand why it sucked for Alex because he's kicking rehab's ass and not even sure he'll get an opportunity to see it come to fruition.

I have no qualms with Alex Smith's time here.  He went into the tragic injury with a winning record and he came out of it with a winning record.  I think the situation surrounding the injury ended up clouding what could have been more good times with him as the QB, but such is the sport and the bad luck that often comes with it.  It's unfortunate that we didn't get to watch more of the pre-injury Alex Smith on the field.  It was clear when he returned that he was never going to be the same QB as he was before, but despite that he helped stabilize a position of need on this team, helping weather the storm surrounding the Haskins debacle.  Smith was the right QB at the right time for the right scenario.  

• Thanks 1