Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations Alex Smith--NFL Comeback Player of the Year

5 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Wonder what the negative NFL fan blowback against the football team from washington will be following this player release?   We had earned so much goodwill during this year through supporting Alex's comeback... I had fans from all NFL teams saying they're pulling for us because of Alex.  ... and the snakebite curse lifted for a few weeks (and we won the division).  Does the curse return?

Critical thinking and reasonably thinking people know you can't pay a QB $23 million dollars when his ability and availability are extremely suspect.  Let's see who gives him a starting job and for how much.  If a team offered Alex anywhere near what he was being paid in Washington to start, the fan base would lose its collective minds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
21 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

16 games and a life threatening injury

that  forever changed his wellness. 

Isn't that the risk that every single sport player takes? Or any risk u take behind the wheel tjat u could be in a life threatening accident? So not sure of your point. The fact is if he wanted to test free agency earlier he could have not resigned with us. Now most free agents want long term security so Its understandable. So if he really wanted to be in control he could have done so earlier in his career. Which was my point of him signing an extension. Clearly he didn't want that freedom.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Browsing sports news, I am seeing a LOT of teams considering Alex Smith, as both a backup AND a starter.

The limited talent in the QB market probably has a lot to do with it.

But it makes me ask, why couldn't we get something - anything - in a trade for him, instead of releasing him outright ?

Although I guess it's technically not too late.

I don't think any teams would want him at $23 million or whatever his salary would have been.  My guess is he gets signed for considerably less, given the clear injury risk.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I don't think any teams would want him at $23 million or whatever his salary would have been.  My guess is he gets signed for considerably less, given the clear injury risk.

You're right - brain slip on my part, and forgot about the contract, which is a large reason why we would be letting him go

30 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Browsing sports news, I am seeing a LOT of teams considering Alex Smith, as both a backup AND a starter.

The limited talent in the QB market probably has a lot to do with it.

But it makes me ask, why couldn't we get something - anything - in a trade for him, instead of releasing him outright ?

Although I guess it's technically not too late.

A lot of teams, or a lot of teams fans?  

I respect him for what he's done, and can see him as a capable backup,(on the cheap), and a great mentor,  but a starter?  No way.   

What team is willing to take a chance on an aging QB, who has clearly lost a step and can't seem to get out of his own way any more?  He should ride off into the sunset, while he still has his health.    

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

A lot of teams, or a lot of teams fans?  

Media for those particular teams.

And I would place them, somewhere in between the actual team and the fans, as far as knowing the actual potential of a transaction. But certainly above the fans.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Media for those particular teams.

And I would place them, somewhere in between the actual team and the fans, as far as knowing the actual potential of a transaction. But certainly above the fans.

You lost me at "Media".

😁

• Thanks 1
Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

You lost me at "Media".

😁

Yea, I know what you mean.

But the sports media can actually 'go either way'.

Sometimes they write crap, just for the sake of filling time and space, and making $

But sometimes, they are onto something, because some of them actually do have connections with the team, and other reliable source.

5 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Alex must have known he was going to be released. That explains the timing and release of the story

He’s a very smart man.  I’m sure he knew this was coming.  We can’t pay somebody 23 million who likely won’t make it through a 1/3 of a season ever again.  I was feeling very good about Alex.  Great story, very inspirational...then he decides to go all scorched earth on the way out the door.  His comeback from nearly losing his leg is the thing of legend, but unfortunately for me it’s tainted now.  

• Like 1

Fearless and courageous beyond measure.

A living exemplar for the proposition that human potential is only limited by our thoughts and beliefs.

He will be missed— admittedly more off the field than on it.

I wish him well in all future endeavors.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 2

It's so hard to fathom the apparent fact that Alex's comeback "threw a wrench" in the team's plans, when he is the reason they won the division. Without Alex, there is absolutely a zero chance we win the division. Such irony. If a player is the driving force for a team winning the division, and that's considered a wrench in the plans, my gosh, what would a player be considered if he caused WFT to win the Super Bowl. Would he be a train wreck in their plans ?

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's so hard to fathom the apparent fact that Alex's comeback "threw a wrench" in the team's plans, when he is the reason they won the division. Without Alex, there is absolutely a zero chance we win the division. Such irony. If a player is the driving force for a team winning the division, and that's considered a wrench in the plans, my gosh, what would a player be considered if he caused WFT to win the Super Bowl. Would he be a train wreck in their plans ?

Well I think he meant the wrench into the plans was before the season started/partway through the beginning part of the season...that he was back and ready to play by the time the season started.  By all accounts, this season was supposed to let us see if Haskins was going to be the guy.  Now Haskins being terrible plays a huge part in that, but the Allen injury and Smith back and being ready definitely could be viewed by him as "throwing a wrench," into their plans.  In other words, let's be honest here...the WFT plans at QB this year were Haskins, Allen and MAYBE Smith.  And perhaps Smith felt like he wasn't wanted by some in the building.

Anyway, I don't think he's a huge injury risk, although I can see why some will think so.  After he wore Aaron Donald like a backpack, I figured he could still take a beating.  Sure, he he missed time at the end of the season and wasn't near 100% by the time Heinicke took over but I'll chalk that up to coming off his injury and maybe not being in peak form to begin with.  

I really think that it just has to do with that his performance wasn't all that great.  That, and we need a guy who's got his career in front of him, or at the very least is not too far removed from their peak...not someone who's on the downswing of their time in the NFL.  

EDIT:  Speaking strictly for myself, the way his time here has ended doesn't taint my perception of him one bit.  He came back from one of the worst injuries you'll ever see and worked like a dog to get back on the field for a pretty ****ty franchise owned by a pretty ****ty person.  If that doesn't tell you the type of character he has, I'm not sure what else could clue you in.  Even if his motives were 100% selfish and he just wanted to come back so he could go out on his terms, that still shows you the amount of heart and determination he has.  

I'm not mad at him and I wish him well.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well I think he meant the wrench into the plans was before the season started/partway through the beginning part of the season..

Understood, but apparently the team still viewed or views, him as the same old wrench even after the miraculous year, since they're now ready to cut him loose completely

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That, and we need a guy who's got his career in front of him, or at the very least is not too far removed from their peak...not someone who's on the downswing of their time in the NFL.  

I understand that too, but it's ironic to have that perception, but at the same time, be a team that's looking at acquiring other 'broken' or older, veteran players on the downside, to replace him, like Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick, Wentz, Newton, Ryan, etc ; at least according to "rumors", as well as many fans.

I realize it's not fully verified that we considered those QB's, but it's a safe bet that we looked towards at least 1 or 2 of the older or broken QB's who are on a downward spiral.

There seems to be a contradiction in wanting to get rid of Alex, but replace him with someone with very similar risks.

I have a feeling this is going to bite us in the butt. Especially if Alex goes to a division rival. It's very realistic to envision him starting games for another NFC East team at some point, even if it's not permanent. And facing him in another uniform, concerns me.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
On 3/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, clskinsfan said:

Complain all you want about Smith's "dink and dunk" style, but the guy just wins*. Always has and most likely always will. 

*Playoffs not included.  

On 3/1/2021 at 3:03 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

All he does is win.

And get shoved out the door.

Time after time.

And both organizations who shoved him out the door got better and went farther than Smith ever could take them. 

18 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

*Playoffs not included.  

And both organizations who shoved him out the door got better and went farther than Smith ever could take them. 

Nobody ever looks at the full glass....We were never winning a super bowl with him.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

*Playoffs not included.  

I'm looking at the 49ers after Smith left the team and I'm not seeing any better or father in there lmao. I'm looking at the Chiefs and I'm seeing a QB who's already got his foot in the door to the Hall of Fame at the age of 25.

The only way I'd consider Alex's season "tainted" is if he owed the team and wasn't grateful enough for it. Which is the stupidest way to describe his season. Alex doesn't owe the team or the fans anything. The dude risked his leg and his life to carry the team on his back like no other QB on our roster did. Dude doesn't owe the team a "thanks for counting on me after exhausting all other options". At a QB position that sucked for 2 years, he was the difference between making the playoffs and being the worst team in the NFC East. Reasonable or not, he's earned the right to not wear a friendly smile while being tossed in the trash.

Edited by NickyJ
3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm looking at the 49ers after Smith left the team and I'm not seeing any better or father in there lmao. 

Well, this WAS 7 years after he left, but I’d say going to a super bowl (2019 season) is seen as better or farther than he’s taken them 

that was such a long time after he left though, that i dont put much stock into that at all anyway. 

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I'm looking at the 49ers after Smith left the team and I'm not seeing any better or father in there lmao.

They went to a Superbowl with Kaep, and he won more playoff games than Smith ever did.  

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

They went to a Superbowl with Kaep, and he won more playoff games than Smith ever did.  

They went to the Superbowl with Kaep in the season that Smith played and won more than half the games and was on pace to the same record Kaepernick had. Kaep made the playoffs one more season. The 49ers were trash from 2014 on. Considering the team got nuked shortly after, I'd say Smith was certainly not holding them back from success lol

Edited by NickyJ

2020 was always likely to be the real last year of the original Smith contract, even pre-injury. It was pretty obvious to me in 2018, 2021 was the extend or cut year because you just look for the first year a guy can be cut with a cap improvement. It is at that point you usually either trade, cut or extend. Even if you allow me to extrapolate from Smith's pre-injury performance (hard to do because a healthy Smith would probably have changed 2019 and 2020 season's a lot), I don't think extend would be on the table.