Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations Alex Smith--NFL Comeback Player of the Year

Jumbo

I will always root for Alex smith. But the move to release him was a no brainer.  If no other feasible options present themselves this offseason, I'd rather bring back AS at a much lower cap number than to overpay for a qb in a panic move.

Assuming the odds are high we have seen the last game AS plays for WFT, a tip of the cap to a classy guy, who overcame unbelievable odds, and who never got the respect he deserves.   He gets the job done one way or another, his winning percentage speaks for itself.  It's funny how many of his critics will now turn their attention to finding a qb, one who doesn't need to be a superstar, but can manage the game and let the defense do their thing to win games (aka the guy you couldn't wait to get rid of, Alex Smith).

• Like 1

Thanks for all you did Alex.

But at the end of the day this is a business.  11-5 as a starter here!!  Team plays well around him and a great leader - dude takes care of the ball for the most part and finds ways to win.  But this move has to be done. 

For the money we can't relay on that leg and for 209 yards a game, 16:13 TD to interception and sacked 44 times in 18 games, that just won't cut it moving forward.

Best of luck to Alex....a class act and a true warrior and inspiration!

All he does is win.

And get shoved out the door.

Time after time.

But there is one thing about this, that I am happy about.

For the first time in Alex's NFL career, he gets to be the one to dictate which NFL team he lands on.

So that is going to be a good thing for Alex. Not just in a personal way, but perhaps could make a difference in his playing in a positive way, as well.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

All he does is win.

Time after time.

For the first time in Alex's NFL career, he gets to be the one to dictate which NFL team he lands on.

So that is going to be a good thing for Alex. Not just in a personal way, but perhaps could make a difference in his playing in a positive way, as well.

He's not going to have much choice. Love the dude and wish there was a way for us to keep him that made sense, but he's still a constant injury worry. Not many teams are going to want to sign him, much less give him the opportunity to start that I'm sure he wants and feels he deserves a chance at

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

He's not going to have much choice. Love the dude and wish there was a way for us to keep him that made sense, but he's still a constant injury worry.

Yes, many are saying it's a significant concern or worry about the risk of keeping him.

But what about the flip side ?

Because there's also a significant risk of not having Alex on your team, especially if you still havn't found answers at the position.

I also understand the contract implications.

So, taking the entire situation into consideration, I would have attempted to renegotiate his contract, so it's favorable to the team, in case fate has him ending up as a backup.

I mean, I don't see how anyone can argue that it's not a good thing to have Alex as a #2.

49 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

All he does is win.

Time after time.

I mean he chose to immediately resign with us as soon as we traded for him. Most free agents would love to be signed to the money he made here while only playing 16 games 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Some fool on twitter says smith isn’t a “real WFT player” because he only played 16 games and threw 16 TDs-13 INTS. 

what a classless thing to say. 

Twitter tweets being classless?  What is the world coming to?  🤨

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Some fool on twitter says smith isn’t a “real WFT player” because he only played 16 games and threw 16 TDs-13 INTS. 

what a classless thing to say. 

this one guy on twitter said he liked to go to the ape house at the zoo because he liked the way it smelled

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

this one guy on twitter said he liked to go to the ape house at the zoo because he liked the way it smelled

Man, that's ape ****. I wonder if this same guy enjoys sniffing in his shirt while he goes #2?

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe Bellichek takes a chance on him.

So we got Chicago, Jacksonville, and NE.

Anyone else ?

Its one thing to be injured like he was but also, he couldn’t last but 4 games this past year. Teams will be nervous but all he does is win so who knows.

• Like 1

Great story that exemplified determination.  The WFT wouldn't have been 2020 NFC East Champions without him.    Really wish it didn't get ugly at the end.  Best of luck to him wherever he goes next.

Edited by SAli457180
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dyst said:

Still can’t believe his overall record with us. This is a bad team yet he went 11-5 or whatever. Practically goat-like with this organization.

I can. Alex's grind it out, game-manager QB style allows our defense to not be on the field for 40 minutes a game. It's no secret why his ultra conservative play-style has always resulted him being on teams with top-10 defenses. Even when he was with the Chiefs. Not turning the ball over and keeping the offense on the field is huge for the W/L category IMO. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Thanks for playoff run.  I wish you would retire because you could injure yourself even more and have a life of misery.

Your body just can no longer handle the rigors of football.  You will find  that no team will give you a starting job. A backup job, maybe. Probably, to mentor a young QB.  A team just can't rely on you to be able to play.

• Like 1

I dont care how many games alex smith won or wins this league is about winning championships, we were never gonna won one with him 3rd team to realize

it in his career and thats a fact. Not even if he didnt break his leg were we gonna win a super bowl with Alex Smith

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 2

Wonder what the negative NFL fan blowback against the football team from washington will be following this player release?   We had earned so much goodwill during this year through supporting Alex's comeback... I had fans from all NFL teams saying they're pulling for us because of Alex.  ... and the snakebite curse lifted for a few weeks (and we won the division).  Does the curse return?