Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations Alex Smith--NFL Comeback Player of the Year

Once we told the world our main priority was finding a QB, Alex said Oh Reeaaaalllly? 
Let me tell you how I really feel. Lol.
It is what it is, wish he woulda played more.
I’m a fan of his. Even after these unnecessary comments. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Once we told the world our main priority was finding a QB, Alex said Oh Reeaaaalllly? 

Agree with that.

Just need the amicable split now and move on.

• Like 1

I do not see a "bad guy" for either side. It's still a business. You have to love Alex's drive and determination to get back on the field. But let's be honest, had Kyle Allen not gotten hurt and Duane Haskins not been a **** head, Alex never makes the field. 

Ron inherited a ****ed up QB room. He had to let the 1st rd draft choice have his shot. Then you move on down  the line. But with that messed up contract by Bruce he could not release Alex either. But Alex's body is betraying him. It's really time for him to retire for his own health and safety. 

The comments sort of surprise me, not because I think they are wrong, but because he has typically been more measured. But I will not hold one interview against a guy who has otherwise been an exemplary person. 

• Like 4

This really doesn't sound like something Alex would normally say, he usually comes across as such a classy type of guy.

He could have said that no one "thought" he'd be back, so they planned on him not being there and his return caused them to change their plans. But to word it as nobody "wanted" him back sounds like a passive-aggressive dig at the team.

I hope that it comes out that he was misquoted or it was taken out of context or something, because on paper this doesn't look good.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, London Kev said:

This really doesn't sound like something Alex would normally say, he usually comes across as such a classy type of guy.

He could have said that no one "thought" he'd be back, so they planned on him not being there and his return caused them to change their plans. But to word it as nobody "wanted" him back sounds like a passive-aggressive dig at the team.

I hope that it comes out that he was misquoted or it was taken out of context or something, because on paper this doesn't look good.

Perhaps he's sick of taking the high road when he's cast to the side, as he's been a few times before.  Only this time, it's the end of the road and there's no $74M contract at the end of it.  That and all the work he put in to get back and feeling like folks don't appreciate it is a tough pill to swallow.  You have to remember that Dan And Bruce were treating this guy like he was royalty.  When they signed him, they gave up assets, paid him handsomely and rolled out the red carpet as if he was Joe Montana.  When he got hurt, he was hanging out in the box, meeting with them after games, etc.  All the sudden he's trying to make an epic comeback that nobody thought he could do, and the new regime is kind of like 'wtf' vs. 'let's go'.

6 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

yeah, well, I'm not sure how well he'd have held up after our early OL, and maybe his leg would have given out sooner

• Like 1

His interview where he threw Washington and the coaching staff under the bus is without merit.

First, no one (besides Alex Smith) thought he would ever play football again and most of us didn't want him to for his own well being.  Second, injured players often feel like they are on the outside looking in because they are in full rehab mode apart from the team.  Third, why would a below average, past his prime, overpaid QB who had a life-threatening catastrophic leg injury be priority #1 for a new coaching staff?

I get his frustration because he was literally forced out of two other starting QB gigs for previous teams.  But he was replaced because any team serious about winning a super bowl would prefer a better QB than even a healthy in his prime Alex Smith.  He has always been a JAG with his conservative dink and dunk playing style.  The best part of his game was his legs because he'd rather run than throw in tight windows risking an interception.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have those legs anymore which really cripples the offense (please pardon the pun).

For his own safety, the Team should have felt good about putting him on the field when they did and not a game sooner.  It's time to move on from Alex Smith because the Team cannot win a super bowl with him as the starter and it cost too much money to keep him on the team.   

ADDED:  Like was said previously by a poster, I too hope Smith's interview was somehow taken out of context and that he will clear it up if it was.  His comeback was miraculous and very courageous and will absolutely make for a great movie some day.  Hail to Alex Smith!

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

His interview where he threw Washington and the coaching staff under the bus is without merit.

I don't really see it as throwing anyone under the bus, as much as he was telling the interviewer how he felt about it.  Throwing people under the bus would be providing details about who, what, and when.  

I've never been a fan of Alex Smith's style of play, but I can see this thing from both sides.  If I'm Alex damn right I'm salty that I've put in all this work, and I'm surrounded by marginal talents in the QB room, and it doesn't feel like the coaching staff/organization wants to see me play.  He watched Haskins mail it in ever since he was drafted, stink up the field, stink off the field.  Kyle Allen is well, Kyle Allen.  If I'm Alex, I'd be expecting a warmer embrace than it sounds like took place.  At the same time, I completely understand how Rivera and the gang were hesitant to trot him back out on the field, much less take him serious as an answer moving forward.  It's just another tough situation, that Washington regularly finds itself in.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, carex said:

yeah, well, I'm not sure how well he'd have held up after our early OL, and maybe his leg would have given out sooner

No, I meant wish he would’ve never gotten injured..not returning earlier or anything..

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
12 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Minshew for Smith is a trade that I would take in a heartbeat.  I know it's not going to happen, but it's still something that I think would benefit both teams.

He's got half a leg. Virtually untradeable imo. Certainly not for a decent-fringe starter like Minshew 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
2 hours ago, carex said:

You know, if Joe Theisman had walked into the 1987 training camp and said he wanted a comeback, even Joe Gibbs and JKC wouldn't have wanted it to happen

i remember the story about his "comeback" attempt.

People were walking out of whatever that thing he held was and he said "I'm not done yet." He was answered with "Yeah you are, Joe."

I think it was more for the insurance than anything else. He couldn't do it. IIRC, one of his legs is actually shorter than the other now.

13 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Minshew for Smith is a trade that I would take in a heartbeat.  I know it's not going to happen, but it's still something that I think would benefit both teams.

No one's trading for Smith's contract. He's worth maybe a fifth of what he's scheduled to make.

• Like 1

Does anyone know who spent the millions in medical expenses for his 17 surgeries, military-style therapies, rehab, etc.? 

Does that come directly from the WFT organization?  From his Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance?  Affordable Care Act?  Medicare?  Anyone know?

I really have no clue.  Thanks!

45 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Does anyone know who spent the millions in medical expenses for his 17 surgeries, military-style therapies, rehab, etc.? 

Does that come directly from the WFT organization?  From his Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance?  Affordable Care Act?  Medicare?  Anyone know?

I really have no clue.  Thanks!

I believe, the NFLPA does usually.

Hope Alex paid his Union dues up to 2018 😛

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ntotoro said:

i remember the story about his "comeback" attempt.

People were walking out of whatever that thing he held was and he said "I'm not done yet." He was answered with "Yeah you are, Joe."

I think it was more for the insurance than anything else. He couldn't do it. IIRC, one of his legs is actually shorter than the other now.

Well, Houston needs some good PR. They really need some positive vibes and what's a better feel good story than Alex's comeback?

Alex Smith for discontent Deshaun Watson plus Houston gives us their second ought to do the trick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, Burgold said:

Well, Houston needs some good PR. They really need some positive vibes and what's a better feel good story than Alex's comeback?

Alex Smith for discontent Deshaun Watson plus Houston gives us their second ought to do the trick.

Instead of their 2nd rounder, have them give us LT Laremy Tunsil in the trade, and I'm on board !

• Like 1

Why does it always seem like this is the way it has to go?  Can’t just be left as a great against all odds comeback story.  Always has to be some drama.

ALWAYS has to be some drama.

I for one am sick and tired of the victim mentality.  Everybody has to take everything personally all the time.  

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Why does it always seem like this is the way it has to go? 

Dan Snyder.

32 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

ALWAYS has to be some drama.

Again, see Dan Snyder.

32 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I for one am sick and tired of the victim mentality.  Everybody has to take everything personally all the time.  

Yeah, how dare he have feelings about what most would consider one of the most remarkable comebacks of all time?

Heinicke is #11's #1 fan.

Not just because of his talent, but also his character.

"Alex is a great dude. He pushed off treatments, sometimes that week, just to be in the quarterback room with me kind of going over film and helping me through the whole process."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/taylor-heinicke-repeats-appreciation-alex-smith-and-picks-favorite-name

• Like 1