Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations Alex Smith--NFL Comeback Player of the Year

I think this is a situation where I truly feel for both parties. For Alex, it’s of course hard to be told or seen as the person who can’t do make the comeback. But for the coaches, what other option did they have? If Week 1 rolled around and Rivera said “Alex Smith is our plan A” we would have asked what the hell was wrong with him.

• Like 3

I wonder what Dallas fans are thinking about Dak returning. I can't imagine they want the team to pay him what he was asking for prior to his injury. I'd be fine with Alex coming back as an intended backup/mentor. But i think he's crazy to think any team would look at him as any more than a starter in the NFL. 

Not sure how anyone could make out Alex to be the bad guy in this.

Basically his career was ruined because of our crappy blocking.

And was willing to literally put his life on the line, to come back and play football for us, and being the main reason we made it to the playoffs.

Turned out to be one of the best QB's we've had in a very long time, as far as W-L record, and that's both before and after the gruesome injury, which is what's so amazing.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

and being the main reason we made it to the playoffs.

The defense would like a word, considering Alex Smith never won a game when the defense gave up more than 17 points...2018 included.  And then there was that whole thing about having to play Ryan Finlay, Nate Sudfeld, Nick Mullens, and Andy Dalton that didn't hurt either.

• Thanks 1

I can see the perspective of both sides on this Alex situation.  As a coach, would you be putting any eggs in the Alex basket?  It's a testament to Alex that he was able to make it back, but I can totally understand why a coach would be very hesitant to roll him out there.  Your looking toward the future, and you've got a limited vet that had an erector set on his leg a year ago.  

At the same time, i can see how Alex would feel some kind of way about folks not being all-in on his recovery given all the work he put in to make it happen.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And was willing to literally put his life on the line, to come back and play football for us, and being the main reason we made it to the playoffs.

Turned out to be one of the best QB's we've had in a very long time, as far as W-L record, and that's both before and after the gruesome injury, which is what's so amazing.

Dude he wasnt very good when he was here he was already at the tail end of his career and didnt even crack 16 tds in the 16 games he played for us Alex Smith was always an average qb the reality is younger more dynamic qbs have taken the same teams alex smith played for to super bowls....im so glad the stench of moronic moves by bruce allen will be gone once alex smith leaves Ashburn.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Dude he wasnt very good when he was here he was already at the tail end of his career and didnt even crack 16 tds in the 16 games he played for us Alex Smith was always an average qb the reality is younger more dynamic qbs have taken the same teams alex smith played for to super bowls....im so glad the stench of moronic moves by bruce allen will be gone once alex smith leaves Ashburn.

I dont think he was saying smith played well, just that he was the best QB in terms of the W/L record, which IS true. 11-5. 

• Like 1

Alex is physically done at this point (I don't think his injury at the end of the season is fluke thing) and his comeback has been amazing and a great story... but I don't think he's saying anything particularly controversial here. Was there a single person on the planet (other than Alex) who actually thought Alex would be even a small part of the plan other than taking up roster space? If you said that a year ago, you'd be crazy.

Haskins was his own worst enemy. Alex just did enough for the most part (when healthy) to keep from losing. He has limitations he'll never be able to overcome and everyone has seen that now. It's not a "YOU SUCK" thing, it's just the way his body is now. It's an amazing story, but his body does have a life expectancy and I think we've seen it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

The defense would like a word, considering Alex Smith never won a game when the defense gave up more than 17 points...2018 included.  And then there was that whole thing about having to play Ryan Finlay, Nate Sudfeld, Nick Mullens, and Andy Dalton that didn't hurt either.

It was Alex.

We would not have made the playoffs without Alex.

The defense would not have carried us.

We could not win games with that defense, but another QB.

That was proven over and over.

• Like 2

Here's the thing, from Ron's perspective:  He got nothing out of cutting Alex, so he had to keep him around.  You cut Alex, you get bad press, and given the contract, you have to pay him and take the cap hit either way.  So, he's going to be "around."

That said, I don't think Ron really ever thought he could play, and he would probably have preferred to give Alex's reps to Kyle Allen, so there were only 2 QBs getting reps, Haskins and Allen, rather than 3.  I'm sure Ron saw Alex as a bridge to nowhere, given his age and health situation.

However, I'm also pretty sure Ron's mind was somewhat changed over time because Alex started to play better.  But don't forget Alex entered camp on the PUP list because he couldn't pass the physical.  Then he was cleared half way through camp.  So from Ron's perspective, I'm sure it was a headache he didn't really want to deal with. And one that he didn't create.

That said, if Ron REALLY didn't want him around, they would have just cut him.  The cap situation would have been essentially the same either way.  By keeping him around and splitting reps, in some way they were doing him a solid.  If they had seen no progress, then they probably would have stopped the experiment.  But Alex kept progressing, so there you go.

I get where Alex is coming from, where he kindof felt like the 3rd wheel.  But he was the 3rd wheel. On a bad wheel.  Who wasn't cleared until part way through training camp.  

He's not coming back.  But I really think the organization has done right by Alex at every step of the way.  At least it seems that way from what I can tell.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He's not coming back.  But I really think the organization has done right by Alex at every step of the way.  At least it seems that way from what I can tell.  

You're probably right.

But at this point, I'm not counting anything out. And anything is possible.

For example, in the article below, which was written a year ago, the writer said the exact same thing about Alex, but in 2020 : "Alex Smith is not playing football again. I know, you’ve heard reports he’s throwing the football. You’ve even seen the video of him pushing the sleds. You’ve listened to Smith’s interviews talking about his intention to comeback."

Nothing is set in stone. Alex proved that, beyond a reasonable doubt. ;)

You always have to leave the door open for the unexpected.

I know that the reasons to believe that Alex may not be back in 2021, are much different than the reasons people believed he wouldn't be back in 2020.

But he still is not in an irreparable position with the team.

Back to that article from a year ago...

https://riggosrag.com/2020/02/26/with-62-million-in-cap-space-should-the-redskins-cut-alex-smith/

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

IMO Ron and the front office are not in any way at fault for believing a 36 yr old QB coming off 17 surgeries might not make it on the field again.

If Alex feels disrespected then he's not being honest with himself concerning the extent of his injury.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

It does sound like a "different Alex" in those quotes.

So I'm going to go along with the idea, that the team has told him, that he's not in their 2021 plans, under any circumstances.

Thus, Alex feels more free, to tell us how he really feels ;)

What I find kind of odd, is that in both of his other NFL stops, SF and KC, he ALSO was "unwanted" there, just like he was here, and it was for much less justifiable reasons there, than it was here. Yet, I don't remember him being so candid in his "complaints" in SF and KC.

In fact, he was considered a class act all the way. That's why virtually every 49er and Chiefs fan, still roots for him, no matter what jersey he wears these days and forward.

And I do consider him a class act.

Both Mahomes and Haskins went out of their way to speak very highly of him as a mentor, and the fact that, I quote them, "Alex was NEVER NOT willing to help" the young QB's. He's clearly not a selfish man.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It was Alex.

We would not have made the playoffs without Alex.

The defense would not have carried us.

We could not win games with that defense, but another QB.

That was proven over and over.

This team, going back to 2018, won a game when the opposition scored more than 17 points once and Alex wasn't the quarterback.  

This defense & AP carried the team for the first 10 weeks of 2018.  This defense carried this team for the second half of 2020.  This was proven when a guy signed off of the street looked better than the 36 year old veteran did in any of his starts.  

• Like 2

I'll echo that this doesn't sound anything like the Alex Smith we know.  I'm surprised he hasn't tried to clarify the comments as well.  Maybe he feels like he has nothing to lose or prove at this point, but he may have figuratively ended his tenure with the WFT.

I am glad to see people supporting the team on this.  As happy as I am for Alex's success last year, I don't know that I wanted him on the team last year either, at least before hand.  Hell, the potential left side of our line, Christian or Lucas, Martin or  Schweitzer didn't exactly scream all pro going into the season. 

We all had plenty of reason to hope he would choose to move on

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

IMO Ron and the front office are not in any way at fault for believing a 36 yr old QB coming off 17 surgeries might not make it on the field again.

If Alex feels disrespected then he's not being honest with himself concerning the extent of his injury.

great post.

His injury and contract have strapped the team yet they have stood by him. Seriously, who would have ever figured he would have been able to play again (and he broke down)

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

There is a very good chance that Alex didn't say say what he said to dis the team.  It may have been blown into a big deal by hungry sportscasters/writers triyng to make news where there is none.  

I hope that's the case. I mean, I wouldn't fault him for feeling abandoned or whatever, but the way the quotes read in a vacuum, he's kinda pushing it. Team did about as good of a job (from a fairness/pr standpoint) as could possibly be done.

Also wouldn't shock me if this is just a culmination of his feelings from San Francisco and KC where he definitely got the boot.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

weren't we already to street free agents on the OL by that point?

20 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

While I'm happy for Smith's recovery and thankful for his performance for WFT in 2020, doesn't it seem that he has a problem with the team being extremely reluctant to have Alex Smith put his life on the line to play football?  While I won't fault Smith for hus competitive fire, WFT acted perfectly reasonably in being concerned with Alex Smith ever playing football again after the injury.

Alex is as good as gone.  You can’t rely on him to physically withstand a season and he makes to much money to be a backup.  At his age and health, I can’t imagine him getting a chance to start anywhere in the league.  If he is willing to be a backup and take a significant pay cut he might find a team willing to take a chance on him just to get his experience in their QB room.  Great story, wish him well, sorry it has to end this way.

• Like 1