Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations Alex Smith--NFL Comeback Player of the Year

Regardless of what this offseason brings for Alex, he will go down as one of the major components to changing to culture here in Washington.  He'll also go down as having the largest wining percentage of any Washington QB under the Dan Snyder era(though I understand it's a limited sample size).  He suffered one of the worst injuries I've ever seen, 17 surgeries, almost lost his leg and his life, but yet never once gave up on his desires to see the field again.  I'll remember all the good times from this past season and when you played 2 years ago.  No matter what, I'll always look back fondly on our time with QB11 under center.  Thank you Alex.

• Like 3
  • Jumbo unpinned this topic

Congrats indeed. All I want to know is who was the lone douchebag **** ass dweeb that voted against him as the player of the year. My disdain for refs (like the ones that could the Tampa game) and asshole reporters grows daily

• Like 1

This is like a guy who sucks, gets benched and cut then goes on about how the team didn’t want him. Yea dude, you sucked...that’s why the team didn’t want you. As for Alex it was his injury, what do you expect, your leg was half gone. The team HAD to plan ahead without you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I read the article, he didn't say anything that bad to me.

It reads as passive aggressive in the tone of “how dare they”. But its hard to tell tone through writing so maybe just misinterpreted.

• Like 2

Seems like a move designed to get himself cut so he can get his money. Only way WFT we’re gonna bring him back was if he agreed to redo that contract. It’s not happening. He had a hell of a comeback but he can’t play a full season with that leg.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Hes being a cry baby....if we didnt want u here we would have cut u...im ready to move on from him we dont owe him anything go back to san fran or something.

Cap hit was too high to cut him last offseason.  The 2021 offseason was the only cap friendly year to cut him.  Pretty sure he will get cut, no way they pay him $24 million when they don't know if he can make it a whole season and lost all that mobility.  And they aren't going to pay him that to be 2nd or 3rd string.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

His story was great, but I don't understand why he would say these things while still on the team.  Makes no sense to burn bridges like that.    He's probably knows the end is near, but IMO it would've been better to just wait until he's actually off the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Felt bad for him until now but this made me lose some respect for him.  Pretty sure he collected his checks for $30 mil a year or whatever it was for the last two years or whatever that he was unable to play and contribute.  Seems to me he should be thankful enough for that little fact alone to keep his mouth shut about crap like this.  Just absolutely rubs me the wrong way.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wasn’t part of the teams plans?  That’s his complaint?  Those plans would have changed if he played well.  Every team wants a good QB.  He was terrible.  Wildly overpaid and terrible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I think I'm taking it a little differently. I think this is him still trying to build up his "hero" narrative. I think it's a given that no one thought he would be able to make a comeback. He's just milking his rise and resurrection. It's less about how rotten the team was for not believing in him and more about how amazing his journey was and how steep the odds he had to overcome were. 

I think he's trying to hype his brand. Biggest reason to do this is to either try to get endorsements or pave the road for the next step. Mind you, I only read the excerpts so far.

On the flip side, I can probably imagine some tough feelings. Since the season ended, all he's probably hearing is how Washington is considering trading for a QB or drafting a QB. That could wound a bit. He's probably thinking about all he went through and all he sacrificed with the result being, "Hey, thanks for the great season. Next!" Mind you, Alex riding into the sunset like that would be a pretty perfect ending. It would have been awesome if he could have got his playoff win, too, but if he comes back next season as far as narratives go it's no longer a miracle. He's just another QB.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 3

I have so much respect for what he did coming back from his injury. But c'mom, man. You have to realize you are not capable of being a reliable QB1 on an NFL team. I would have loved to see him return to being the guy he was before, but he's physically incapable. At best, he's a backup. I'd love to have him on the roster as #2 and mentor for the next guy. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, duffy said:

I have so much respect for what he did coming back from his injury. But c'mom, man. You have to realize you are not capable of being a reliable QB1 on an NFL team. I would have loved to see him return to being the guy he was before, but he's physically incapable. At best, he's a backup. I'd love to have him on the roster as #2 and mentor for the next guy. 

I really think his best role right now is QB coach. He's apparently an amazing QB mentor if we believe Mahomes and everyone else.

• Like 1

I think this is one of those things where you'd have to hear him/see him say it to understand how it should be interpreted.  In written words it doesn't look good but I don't think he's that type of guy.  

We can talk about how he wasn't that good this year but I don't think we have the year that we had this year with Haskins at the helm all the way.  And I don't mean to delve this into a Haskins/Smith debate, lord knows there's been too much of that.  All I'm saying is that the guy is still a WFT legend no matter what.  

• Like 3

It's simply Alex tellin it like it is, with no B.S. And no sugar-coating it.

If that's what it is, he's just saying what it is.

Nothing wrong with that.

None of the outsiders knows exactly how bad it was on the inside, except for Alex.

In fact, it just confirms earlier reports that Alex had to convince them, to let him come back, and he was serious about making the 53 all along. And that he would have protested them keeping him on PUP.

The only thing new that I got out of that, was not regarding the past, but regarding his future, about him not expected to be back in 2021.

Also, as noted, we don't know his actual tone when this was spoken, which would determine the interpretation ; he could have said that with his

harmless sarcastic humor and grin.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

You can't fault the coaching staff for being wary in Smith, after that kind of injury. I don't think anyone in the sports world really thought he'd be able to come back from the injury. You can also excuse the teams' reluctance to put a guy back there after nearly losing his leg. Alex's arguments that the team didn't "believe" in him are a bit off the mark. It's more the team being prudent and looking forward as an organization, even if it is technically true.

At any rate, I think Alex might see the writing on the wall that he won't be back, and feels more comfortable speaking about his mindset. I don't fault him in any way. I just wish him the best going forward.

• Like 3