Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

I think it says a lot about our system?  Our society?  

That with as many obvious, glaring, flaws as Herschel Walker has, (The man is running as a Republican, after paying for multiple abortions with women he was not married to), the net affect of all those flaws, is that it might have cost him 4-5% of the Republican vote.  

Similar to what's his name, was it Roy Moore?  A month before the election, it's revealed that when he was the county DA, age 35?  40?  He was banned from the local shopping mall because he wouldn't stop hitting on the teenage girls and creeping them out.  (And just imagine how bad it had to be, for the mall to decide to take that action, with the county's DA.)  

And it caused maybe 10% of the Republican voters to not vote for him anyway.  For Senator?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Yes. Those are House members. They're a dime a dozen, but there are only 100 in the Senate. Plus, they're not black. Walker is a walking stereotype behind which you can actually hear the Grand Oligarch’s Party laughing..."Hey y'all, this is what a good ***** looks like!" He's sickening.

I agree with Tim Scott about probably nothing politically, but I can at least respect him as a person. I don't respect Clarence Uncle Thomas as a person or anything else, but he's at least able to play a semi-competent judge. Herschel Walker is a minstrel. Full stop. So yeah, its pretty personal for me.

I don't think Walker is neccessarily an Uncle Tom/minstrel. I mean he is, but I don't think he's fully on board, as in he's being taken advantage of by the GOP. I legitimately started to feel bad for Walker because he's clearly mentally unfit to serve.

5 hours ago, China said:

fark_wNHZ9pfA-XRYOabebs7SuaEnpAc.jpg?AWS

Don't know why I laughed at this so hard.

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

I think it says a lot about our system?  Our society?  

That with as many obvious, glaring, flaws as Herschel Walker has, (The man is running as a Republican, after paying for multiple abortions with women he was not married to), the net affect of all those flaws, is that it might have cost him 4-5% of the Republican vote.  

Similar to what's his name, was it Roy Moore?  A month before the election, it's revealed that when he was the county DA, age 35?  40?  He was banned from the local shopping mall because he wouldn't stop hitting on the teenage girls and creeping them out.  (And just imagine how bad it had to be, for the mall to decide to take that action, with the county's DA.)  

And it caused maybe 10% of the Republican voters to not vote for him anyway.  For Senator?  

I think people looking at these close results and see it as harrowing are looking at it the wrong way. If it seemed close and down to the wire, its because we were left with 2 minutes left in the game and the GOP has the ball. They were completely on offense and they gave everything they had. This was the death kneel, the last push/breath/exertion of the current GOP. I can't see their numbers going up with the current course of how things are going.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Don't know if it's true but not gonna look it up lol...

It’s a cool stat, but when you think about it, you have FDR (3), Truman (2), Johnson (1), Carter (1), Clinton (2), Obama (2).  So, at worst (I don’t know how many times it happened under FDR) it’s 3 out of 13. Doesn’t happen often, but saying 3 times in a century sounds more impressive than about 25% of the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I think people looking at these close results and see it as harrowing are looking at it the wrong way. If it seemed close and down to the wire, its because we were left with 2 minutes left in the game and the GOP has the ball. They were completely on offense and they gave everything they had. This was the death kneel, the last push/breath/exertion of the current GOP. I can't see their numbers going up with the current course of how things are going.

I doubt it. It has looked that way for both parties at times and it just hasn’t happened, probably because there are only two options.

To Larry’s point though, what really bothers me about it is that half the country, or half of voters anyway are like this. I don’t care about people’s politics. That’s normal stuff. However, when half the country is willing to vote for a party that is openly courting racists, religiofascists, and candidates espousing anti-Democratic ideals, it’s scary, disheartening, revolting, among other things.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I doubt it. It has looked that way for both parties at times and it just hasn’t happened, probably because there are only two options.

To Larry’s point though, what really bothers me about it is that half the country, or half of voters anyway are like this. I don’t care about people’s politics. That’s normal stuff. However, when half the country is willing to vote for a party that is openly courting racists, religiofascists, and candidates espousing anti-Democratic ideals, it’s scary, disheartening, revolting, among other things.

But it's not half the country or even half the voters, it's half of the allowed voters in a system that has been so corrupted, co-opted, gerrymandered and rigged that they can keep playing with loaded dice and nothing is done.

It is hard to look beyond the immediate, especially when the immediate is horrifying, but there are larger historical forces at play here and in the world, and we are fast approaching something huge and indefinable, racing towards the singularity and the only way to know what happens afterwards is to go through it. An opportunity may come, maybe sooner than anyone believes, to change the path we've been on, and IMO a fundamental part of that will have to be voting. Not repatching the patched patches on the patchwork, but building a newer, better, easier system to address this. A national program to address the ways that people cheat the system. 

Fix voting and we'll fix the rest.

• Like 3

As others have said, it's a bit sobering that the Georgia race was so close given what an utter train wreck Hershel Walker was as a candidate. We can thank Donald Trump for putting up such a woefully bad candidate.  He knew Hershel from his days in the USFL.  People in Georgia know who he is.  And Hershel says nice things about Trump. That was the extent of his qualifications for a statewide office as far as Trump was concerned.  Never mind that he is - as Dave Chapelle put it - "observably stupid." 

Watch how quickly Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, Rick Scott, et. al. forget who the hell Hershel Walker is in the days ahead.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

Feeling insulted requires a certain level of self-awareness and shame that MTG simply doesn’t have.

I agree with you whole heartedly about her lack of self-awareness and shame.

Although I’m not sure how it relates to feeling insulted. If you care to explain?

Edited by Die Hard