Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

My point is that we may have to let him walk and look for a replacement.  

I’m fine with that. I don’t really think he’s all that good contrary to popular opinion. The DL was ballin’ and offenses adjusted to the point where a vast majority of throws were intermediate and in the middle. It seems whenever QBs had time and went deep he was the guy getting picked on.

People are going to point to his PD stat but usually when you’re high up in that category it means teams are targeting you.

Edited by PartyPosse

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Exactly. We found our guy. Lock him in and move forward with the other holes. 

Of course if he demands some crazy contract you move on, but he's a CB1 and worth being paid.

On top of that, we have to add corner depth, and I wouldn’t relish having to find a starter and quality depth at outside corner (along with our other needs).  Not to mention we could probably stand to upgrade from Moreland (or at the least find someone worthy of competing with him and providing solid depth for the slot).  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m fine with that. I don’t really think he’s all that good contrary to popular opinion. The DL was ballin’ and offenses adjusted to the point where a vast majority of throws were intermediate and in the middle. It seems whenever QBs had time and went deep he was the guy getting picked on.

People are going to point to his PD stat but usually when you’re high up in that category it means teams are targeting you.

I kind of agree that teams targeted him a fair bit and that he did get picked on at times.  
Of course, the argument revolves around a lot of different questions...

1.  If he played off more to prevent deeper passes, how often do teams convert on those short to intermediate throws?

2.  Who made plays against him - was it mostly top end receivers and qbs?

3.  What was the end result?  How was our pass defense ranked?  How often did he allow conversions?  How did scoring against turn out?

4. How did PFF rank him?

5.  How did the team do in terms of coverage sacks?

6. How often were teams able to stay balanced (putting more pressure on our corners)?

7.  Was he aligned in man or zone more often, which is easier on a corner, and how did he play within the scheme?

8.  How much did Del Rio trust him and how much does Del Rio want him back?

9.  How did his stats look?

10.  How was his help?  Ie, how often were backers and the free safety (and sometimes SS) in position to help him?

11.  How did he perform when the team faced tougher olines or didn’t pressure the qb?

Players with connections to Mayhew

Richard Sherman, CB: Washington's cornerback position needs additional reinforcements, and that's true even if Ronald Darby sticks around. Sherman's about to turn 33, but he can still be a difference-maker in the right scheme and he has the sort of championship experience that Ron Rivera covets.

Jason Verrett, CB: Verrett spent the last two seasons with the Niners, but the first was ruined by injuries, much like the majority of his time with the Chargers. He did return in 2020 to pick off two passes and line up for the most snaps of his career, so perhaps he's trending in the right direction and ready to show his ability on a more consistent basis.

Kendrick Bourne, WR: While Washington would still have to search for a more dynamic outside receiver, Bourne would be useful as a third choice for whoever's playing QB. He'll be 26 in the fall and he posted career highs in catches (49) and yards (667) last season. 

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB: Witherspoon is a 2017 third-rounder who's spent his first four go-rounds in the NFC West. If Sherman and Verrett aren't of interest to Washington, Witherspoon has some skills that'd make him a viable piece in the back end.

Players with connections to Hurney

Curtis Samuel, WR: Samuel will be just 25 years old by Week 1 of next season and his versatility and speed are two qualities that Scott Turner would love to have in D.C. He could also be the type of threat that Terry McLaurin needs to excel even more in his career.

Daryl Williams, OT: Williams will be more affordable than Moton, but thanks to his impressive 2020 in Buffalo, he's also slated to receive a lot more cash compared to the one-year agreement he received last offseason. He was with the Panthers from 2015 to 2019 before joining the Bills, who have been more than pleased with his performance on the line.

Mike Davis, RB: With Antonio Gibson and JD McKissic already responsible for much of the workload in Turner's backfield, Davis probably doesn't fit with the franchise. However, if the team is seeking an upgrade for Peyton Barber, Davis would represent that.

Corn Elder, CB: Elder was a fifth-round choice of the Panthers in 2017 and though he's far from a star, he's a DB who suited up for all 16 contests last year and could be a nice depth addition for Jack Del Rio's secondary.

• Like 1

Well, I pointed this guy out last night but in the theme of this

Tahir Whitehead, LB: Whitehead was drafted by the Detroit Lions while Martin Mayhew was their GM and signed by the Carolina Panthers in 2020.  He started only 9 games for them but prior to that had been a consistent starter averaging more than 100 tackles per year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Curious what some of you think: Fuller or Darby on who had the better year?

Darby easily for me. Easily may be a bit strong, but a step above. 

Same boat for me

Darby faced way more heat with teams clearly choosing to go his direction. He responded very well and only posted a few poor performances even though he had a much higher degree of difficulty.

Darby had a good, if not great year.

That being said, you can bring in another corner for a fraction of his price (give someone else coming off a down year the same contract Darby is coming off) and there is a decent chance you can replicate Darby's results w/ our D. Every season you can have a 3M player giving you 8-9M returns.

If the team is in any kind of financial crunch, due to re-signing our own guys or adding FAs, Darby is the first guy I let walk. I'd choose Scheriff, and KPL over him

• Like 1

If Darby is too expensive the plan is likely to go after Moreau and see if you can find a Darby equivalent. If Darby is re-signable then Moreau is gone and we may try for some extra depth via the draft.

I haven’t started my corner watch. Usually do them last as it’s a pain in the ass to do.

Taylor Gabriel would be a great dirt cheap signing for the slot that we can make today. He was cut by the Bears before the start of 2020 due to his big contract (still had decent production for the slot) and he just ended up sitting out the year. You can probably bring him in at something like 1 year 2-3 mil

1 hour ago, carex said:

Well, I pointed this guy out last night but in the theme of this

Tahir Whitehead, LB: Whitehead was drafted by the Detroit Lions while Martin Mayhew was their GM and signed by the Carolina Panthers in 2020.  He started only 9 games for them but prior to that had been a consistent starter averaging more than 100 tackles per year

Isn’t Whitehead washed? 

5 hours ago, DWinzit said:

While I completely agree, I am getting a queasy feeling they are going after him and will offer more than just the 1st

And bringing in FA Marvin Jones Jr, a favorite target of Staffords for years who can play outside and slot.

Marvin Jones is the most underrated FA by this board. Certainly on the older side but has continued to produce at a 1K yards/yr pace with red zone abilities given his size. Bring him and Gabriel in and draft someone in this deep draft class in the 3rd or 4th. Add 2 of Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG for depth and you have a solid WR corps with a lot of depth

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Darby is too expensive the plan is likely to go after Moreau and see if you can find a Darby equivalent. If Darby is re-signable then Moreau is gone and we may try for some extra depth via the draft.

I haven’t started my corner watch. Usually do them last as it’s a pain in the ass to do.

Darby outplayed Fuller in my opinion and I’m not sure why teams didn’t challenge Fuller more. Maybe because Fuller started off playing elite as his play slipped over the course of the season.

I’m fine with Darby at 10M/yr but the key is to go low on guarantees given his injury history and inconsistent play in the past

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Same boat for me

Darby faced way more heat with teams clearly choosing to go his direction. He responded very well and only posted a few poor performances even though he had a much higher degree of difficulty.

Darby had a good, if not great year.

That being said, you can bring in another corner for a fraction of his price (give someone else coming off a down year the same contract Darby is coming off) and there is a decent chance you can replicate Darby's results w/ our D. Every season you can have a 3M player giving you 8-9M returns.

If the team is in any kind of financial crunch, due to re-signing our own guys or adding FAs, Darby is the first guy I let walk. I'd choose Scheriff, and KPL over him

I don't think either had great years, but Fuller always seemed to at least make the tackle when giving up a play. Darby, when he got beat, always seemed to be about 10 yards away from the play. HE got caught looking at the play way too much for a veteran. I think Kendall is more suited for this aggressive defense tbh. 

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I kind of agree that teams targeted him a fair bit and that he did get picked on at times.  
Of course, the argument revolves around a lot of different questions...

1.  If he played off more to prevent deeper passes, how often do teams convert on those short to intermediate throws?

All the time because the game plan was to get the ball out quickly and our LBs suck.

2.  Who made plays against him - was it mostly top end receivers and qbs?

I think it was basically everyone.

3.  What was the end result?  How was our pass defense ranked?  How often did he allow conversions?  How did scoring against turn out?

Our pass defense was rated high but it was misleading IMO. I think most on the board would agree with that. He allowed 50 receptions on 92 targets. He was the 8th most targeted CB in football according to PFF. 

4. How did PFF rank him?

Dunno

5.  How did the team do in terms of coverage sacks?

I think we had maybe 3 all season and two were to Ben Denucci

6. How often were teams able to stay balanced (putting more pressure on our corners)?

Again, when teams neutralized the DL we were toast. Just watch the TB again to see.

7.  Was he aligned in man or zone more often, which is easier on a corner, and how did he play within the scheme?

I think mostly man? It seemed our corners and safeties never were on the same page.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

8.  How much did Del Rio trust him and how much does Del Rio want him back?

That's a JDR question.

9.  How did his stats look?

Better than he did.

10.  How was his help?  Ie, how often were backers and the free safety (and sometimes SS) in position to help him?

Not great, but he's not a shutdown corner so it made it even more glaring.

11.  How did he perform when the team faced tougher olines or didn’t pressure the qb?

Again: See TB

I think Darby had a very good season.  I also think hes going to turn back into a pumpkin as soon as he gets paid.  Both can be true.

Let another team sign him to $10m+, take the comp pick and say thank you very much.

We need to be strategic who we give that kind of money to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I think Darby had a very good season.  I also think hes going to turn back into a pumpkin as soon as he gets paid.  Both can be true.

Let another team sign him to $10m+, take the comp pick and say thank you very much.

We need to be strategic who we give that kind of money to.

we have needs that our free agent losses will not receive comp picks, unless we stick heavily to cap casualties or just try to stand pat rather than improve.  The only players we have who are likely to get early cash and this be guaranteed to  be in the comp period are Kerrigan, Darby, and if he's allowed to hit market, Scherff.  Only Kerrigan wouldn't require an immediate counter signing to make up for the loss

4 minutes ago, carex said:

we have needs that our free agent losses will not receive comp picks, unless we stick heavily to cap casualties or just try to stand pat rather than improve.  The only players we have who are likely to get early cash and this be guaranteed to  be in the comp period are Kerrigan, Darby, and if he's allowed to hit market, Scherff.  Only Kerrigan wouldn't require an immediate counter signing to make up for the loss

Fine.  Kick rocks, Darby.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, carex said:

We shouldnt not be aggressive in free agency to try accumulate comp picks.  We have money to spend, holes to fill, and a division for the taking.  Some offseasons it makes sense to be conscious of the comp pick tally and be a little more frugal to benefit from the extra picks, but this shouldn't be the offseason to do that imo.  Rev up redskins 1 and go get em.  Including bringing back darby.

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

Fine.  Kick rocks, Darby.

If we were to get a comp pick for Darby, I would actually move to the side of letting him walk.  Or if he canceled out a FA signing and we wound up with a comp pick from someone else walking, though that doesn’t look like the case.  I’m worried about injuries and, as has been pointed out, he gave up a number of big plays and was picked on at times.  He’s not going to be cheap.

Fuller - tgts 68 44th, rec 34 62nd, 10PDs.  Rec/tgts 50%, PDs/tgt 14.7% PDs/rec 29%.  PFF score 67.2

Darby - tgts 92/8th, rec 50/23rd, 20 PD.  Rec/tgts 54% PDs/tgt 10% PDs/rec 20%.  PFF score 76

Moreland - 71tgts 39th, rec 51 21st, 1 PD.  Rec/tgts 76%, not gonna bother breaking down PDs.  PFF score 58.5

I also didn’t break down int percentages, but Fuller had 4, Moreland 1, and Darby 0.

Don’t know about their run grades, or other PFF details as I don’t subscribe, but I was pretty happy with all 3 of them in run situations.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, we have one of 10-15 starting legit CB1s in the league, but we should let him go to get a late round 3rd comp pick. lol

Right.  Because top 10-15 corners bounce around 3 teams in 6 seasons.

He had a good year.  Doesnt mean its the new norm.  No chance Id give him a multiyear, 10m per year deal.

4 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Right.  Because top 10-15 corners bounce around 3 teams in 6 seasons.

He had a good year.  Doesnt mean its the new norm.  No chance Id give him a multiyear, 10m per year deal.

Well, if the guy who get's an erection from football players doesn't think it's a good signing, it must be true. :ols:

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well, if the guy who get's an erection from football players doesn't think it's a good signing, it must be true. :ols:

Next time Ill make sure to say moist.  Keep it equal opportunity.

Theres definitely an argument to sign him, but calling him a top 10-15 is a huge stretch.  Top corners earn their due by stacking up multiple seasons of good play.  This time last year he was a castoff.  JAG.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Next time Ill make sure to say moist.  Keep it equal opportunity.

Theres definitely an argument to sign him, but calling him a top 10-15 is a huge stretch.  Top corners earn their due by stacking up multiple seasons of good play.  This time last year he was a castoff.  JAG.

He had a bad year in a bad system with injuries. Fair. Before that he was solid.