Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

$55m in cap space if we cut Alex Smith for 2021. If the cap is $180m. And I think the talent on the market + the limited cap space will force teams to get creative in structuring deals, or prices this year may drive downward a bit.

Yeah I’d start there, about 55mil post Smith. We will carry 15mil in season. Usually do as Minimum.

Say maximum 40mil in space to use.

Scherff, Darby, Allen, Heinicke, vet LB, is KPL a FA, probably Hopkins at kicker as he’s a FA. Even a long snapper. Few gaps to plus. That’s 20mil in space gone easily.

Still need a #1 QB. Then we want some stud FA’s. We can extend Jon Allen, slight restructure on Moses.

We really can’t do whatever we want. But we are in good shape.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carex said:

I don't think another team will overpay for him because this would be his second big free agency contract.  Flowers may have been a bust coming here, but we salvaged him by moving him to a new position.  Darby, played well, got a fat contract, got hurt and played worse then came here and we salvaged him at the same position

I think Darby will stay, he had a great year in JDR's defense and we should pay him. This is a defense guys will want to play for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah I’d start there, about 55mil post Smith. We will carry 15mil in season. Usually do as Minimum.

Say maximum 40mil in space to use.

Scherff, Darby, Allen, Heinicke, vet LB, is KPL a FA, probably Hopkins at kicker as he’s a FA. Even a long snapper. Few gaps to plus. That’s 20mil in space gone easily.

Still need a #1 QB. Then we want some stud FA’s. We can extend Jon Allen, slight restructure on Moses.

We really can’t do whatever we want. But we are in good shape.

We spent 5.2M in cap for K, LS, and Allen.  Allen is ERFA.  We also have Vedvik at 660k if we aren’t bringing back Hopkins or shopping for another.  In other words, these 3 positions can be covered at around 5-6M. Brandon Brooks’ number was 7.8.  So let’s say 14 for those four total.  

Like you said, we can do some things with JAllen and Moses.  We can also save money by doing some easy cuts like Love and Barber and a WR that can add in another 3.

We are in really good shape.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I think Darby will stay, he had a great year in JDR's defense and we should pay him. This is a defense guys will want to play for.

He played well but we can honestly do better. His limitations were exposed against teams that could block our pass rush. I feel like he's this year's Erick Flowers. Let some other team overpay him.

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He played well but we can honestly do better. His limitations were exposed against teams that could block our pass rush. I feel like he's this year's Erick Flowers. Let some other team overpay him.

Thing is, we’ll need to get lucky to replace him.  Schweitzer did a great job for cheap, but without a young backup on the team, replacing him in FA can get risky.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

can we do better for less?

looking at our front office choices, we might need to look at Tahir Whitehead as one of the LB we bring in.

He was drafted by Mayhew in Detroit, signed by Hurney last year.  And I don't know how much Oakland overhauled their D after they fired Del Rio but he signed with them the year after they let Del Rio go.  So if Oakland in 2018 and Carolina in 2020 kept similar defenses to their previous years he might be a fit.  He had 51 tackles,  a pass defensed, a fumble recovery, and an interception last year

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Resign Scherff. Let Darby walk. He isn't shut down and we could get similar play from a less heralded cb due to our line. Im of the mindset better downhill LB play will force more 2nd and 3rd and long situations.  That combined with our dline..minimizes the impact of the cb. Draft a CB in the 3rd or 4th and maybe resign Fabian for the low.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Resign Scherff. Let Darby walk. He isn't shut down and we could get similar play from a less heralded cb due to our line. Im of the mindset better downhill LB play will force more 2nd and 3rd and long situations.  That combined with our dline..minimizes the impact of the cb. Draft a CB in the 3rd or 4th and maybe resign Fabian for the low.

What do you do at QB?

11 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Overpay. 1st and 3rd for Matthew Stafford ( I would also pay for Dak Prescott if available). Plan B..draft Qb in the 3rd..compete with Heinicke and Allen. Continue to reinforce roster and get our QB next year.

No way I trade a 1st for Stafford.  The bidding would start at a 2nd and possibly change.  IMO. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

No way I trade a 1st for Stafford.  The bidding would start at a 2nd and possibly change.  IMO. 

While I completely agree, I am getting a queasy feeling they are going after him and will offer more than just the 1st

And bringing in FA Marvin Jones Jr, a favorite target of Staffords for years who can play outside and slot.

Edited by DWinzit

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Darby is  CB1 and the only way to really get the is the top half of the first. He wants to b here, he's good, just pay the dude to stay.

Yeah, I mean I understand the idea that 1. our corners are helped by the dline, 2. that ILB, qb and receiver are more pressing needs, and 3. we can find a decent corner for probably far less money... but, I really like the idea of keeping the band together while trying to finish the D with 1 or 2 linebackers and FS competition.  Heck, just one talented LB likely makes a big difference.  

With that said, I’m not looking at elite money for Darby.  A contract similar to Fuller seems fair.  

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

With that said, I’m not looking at elite money for Darby.  A contract similar to Fuller seems fair.  

With recent injury history for darby, fuller having more positional flexibility, and a potential salary cap crunch for a lot of teams this year, I'm hoping we land darby at a price a shade lower than KF, hopefully around 8 per year.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I mean I understand the idea that 1. our corners are helped by the dline, 2. that ILB, qb and receiver are more pressing needs, and 3. we can find a decent corner for probably far less money... but, I really like the idea of keeping the band together while trying to finish the D with 1 or 2 linebackers and FS competition.  Heck, just one talented LB likely makes a big difference.  

People act like you just grab a CB1 from anywhere or a guard that makes our entire line rank as one of the best. "Just grab one in the third" and dumb **** like that, like it's that easy and every team can do that every year. We have some solid talent, that wants to be here and win with this team, sign our own and go from there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

People act like you just grab a CB1 from anywhere or a guard that makes our entire line rank as one of the best. "Just grab one in the third" and dumb **** like that, like it's that easy and every team can do that every year. We have some solid talent, that wants to be here and win with this team, sign our own and go from there.

Very well said..

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Could we find a good corner via draft or FA (at a lower cost)?  Maybe.  Could Moreau be the answer?  Maybe.  Could our dline mask a corner’s weakness?  Maybe.  Could Del Rio scheme to make up for a lesser talent opposite Fuller?  Maybe.  
Not sure that I wanna play those odds though and potentially see a dip in letting up 3rd down conversions and big plays, coverage sacks, and potentially ‘waste’ the dline talent.  

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Could we find a good corner via draft or FA (at a lower cost)?  Maybe.  Could Moreau be the answer?  Maybe.  Could our dline mask a corner’s weakness?  Maybe.  Could Del Rio scheme to make up for a lesser talent opposite Fuller?  Maybe.  
Not sure that I wanna play those odds though and potentially see a dip in letting up 3rd down conversions and big plays, coverage sacks, and potentially ‘waste’ the dline talent.  

Exactly. We found our guy. Lock him in and move forward with the other holes. 

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If another team offers Darby a contract like Trae Waynes got last year, do you beat it?

Of course if he demands some crazy contract you move on, but he's a CB1 and worth being paid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Exactly. We found our guy. Lock him in and move forward with the other holes. 

Of course if he demands some crazy contract you move on, but he's a CB1 and worth being paid.

Waynes’ contract was the seventh highest that a CB signed last offseason.  Now some of those were extensions, but it was like the third or fourth highest FA contract for a CB.