Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Agree, which is why I don't mind adding an athletic, semi-turnstyle. We have 2 good/decent blockers, that aren't going to threaten vertically. Don't get me wrong, I love Logan Thomas, but he is not going to keep DCs up at night.

If they were comfortable with Moss as the #3 it would mean #1 and #3 are locked down and yes could look at a semi-turnstyle which opens up the player options and the play book

• Like 1

I’m still not sure what to think of Moss.  I think most of us that were debating TEs in the draft last year were surprised how early a lot of them went.  Point being, Moss going undrafted isn’t very comforting.  So it’s going to be interesting to see what they do this year.  Target TE in FA?  Open competition with the young guys we have?  Try to draft one to compete?  With Sprinkle as a FA, we currently have Hemingway, Baugh and Swoopes behind Thomas.  As has been pointed out, we have the cap space at a time a lot of teams are going to have to clear space, so this is probably a good time to target one in FA.  

I do keep getting stuck in the numbers game though - balancing the desire to roll over cap (to pay guys down the line) and spending to re-sign Scherff, add a corner (Darby?) or two, a receiver, a LB (or 2), a TE, a qb, and possibly a safety.  Money could dry up fairly quickly.  Ironically, the potential inability to land a top WR due to our qb situation might keep us more balanced in FA, as well as letting us roll over a decent chunk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

th Sprinkle as a FA, we currently have Hemingway, Baugh and Swoopes behind Thomas.  As has been pointed out, we have the cap space at a time a lot of teams are going to have to clear space, so this is probably a good time to target one in FA.  

I'm not sure I'd spend cap space on a TE. I think this is a target in the draft, 3rd-5th round area I think we can find some value to fit in. I'd rather spend FA money on LB, CB, S, WR. Not necessarily in that order.

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm not sure I'd spend cap space on a TE. I think this is a target in the draft, 3rd-5th round area I think we can find some value to fit in. I'd rather spend FA money on LB, CB, S, WR. Not necessarily in that order.

I’ve been wanting to draft a TE with upside for quite a while, so I’m with you from that standpoint.  Also agree that we have the more pressing holes you listed.  The flip side of the argument is that TEs usually take a while to acclimate, so trying to pencil in your #2 with a draft pick is risky.  Yes, it’s a ‘backup’ position, but they see the field a good bit and we need insurance for Thomas.  On the flip, flip side (lol), we need a succession plan for Thomas, so finding a high upside guy in the draft makes a lot of sense (and I don’t see Moss ever filling that roll, though I’m open-minded about it).  In an ideal world (ie w/o cap restrictions, or where we have fewer holes to address), we sign a solid #2 type TE and draft a guy, giving us insurance, a succession plan, and a decent #2 for this year.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

To me it depends on how much?  I've said for years take a TE in the draft and I spent a lot of time researching college TEs but they never seem to do it.  We got limited cap dollars but also limited picks.  So the beauty of FA is takes needs off the table.  Personally I think they can use a TE both in FA and the draft.  Most teams carry three TEs.  Also young TEs take longer to develop then most positions. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  And for those posts about how he'd break the bank.  While you never know, i really doubt it.  Part of the idea for me is he actually shouldn't break the bank.  

Logan Thomas is a nice find.  But most teams actually have a 2nd TE who can catch some balls, too.  

The best TE arguably on the market who will likely break the bank is that dude below.  I'd guess 12 million a year for Jonnu. 

I agree that Jonnu is likely too expensive but I would like to see the market for Gerald Everett before pulling the trigger on Rudolph.  Everett is young, athletic, and blocks well but with so many cash strapped teams I don't know if a TE with limited career production is going to get a big pay day.  If there is a significant price difference between Everett and Rudolph then I'm fine with going with the cheaper option and using the difference in cap space elsewhere.  If the difference is a million or so a year then I hope they pull the trigger on Everett.  Either way I agree with others that adding more talent to the TE core is necessary this offseason.  

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Proving difficult to get a QB, and yet the league wide cull is going to flood the market with vets at all other positions. 

This board is going to be off the chains starting March 15 through official start on the 17th. Going to be a fun few days wearing out the refresh key! 

• Like 1

Just now, Chris 44 said:

This board is going to be off the chains starting March 15 through official start on the 17th. Going to be a fun few days wearing out the refresh key! 

QB been a sellers market,

Everywhere else may be a buyers market. 

41 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

I agree that Jonnu is likely too expensive but I would like to see the market for Gerald Everett before pulling the trigger on Rudolph.  Everett is young, athletic, and blocks well but with so many cash strapped teams I don't know if a TE with limited career production is going to get a big pay day.  If there is a significant price difference between Everett and Rudolph then I'm fine with going with the cheaper option and using the difference in cap space elsewhere.  If the difference is a million or so a year then I hope they pull the trigger on Everett.  Either way I agree with others that adding more talent to the TE core is necessary this offseason.  

There aren't many fish in the sea at TE.  So just like last season when Hooper (who was decent but not great) got a big deal -- you'd figure the 2-3 best TEs (arguably there isn't much after them) will get good money.  WR should be more interesting because a lot more depth at that spot. 

• Like 1

Keim's 10 Cents, on who we may target at key positions through FA

It's Keim Time, for the offseason report.

wsh.png&h=110&w=110Washington Football Team free-agency overview: Offensive help a priority

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41080/washington-football-team-free-agency-overview-offensive-help-a-priority

WR - A few free agents will tempt them because of their speed, including Curtis Samuel, Will Fuller and Nelson Agholor. Washington needs one starter and perhaps two (including the slot) to pair with McLaurin. Allen Robinson II would help any receiving corps.

TE - Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith could headline this year's class.

LB - Would Lavonte David tempt them? He can still help any team if he comes free.

FS - Curl and Collins both can play the strong side as well as the big nickel role. This staff has ties to recently-released Tre Boston.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The best TE arguably on the market who will likely break the bank is that dude below.

Keim agrees

• Thanks 1

Oh, for those interested, I tested my model of accuracy, yards per attempt, attempts and yards per rush against the success of QBs drafted since 1999 against their PFR AV and it shows a weak correlation. So it seems like these are things to consider but there's definitely more. While there's the easy thing like "hard work" which is not quanitfiable by a statistic, I want to see how much better of a predictor I can make this. 

One thing I think about is that I haven't been looking at TDs and Ints but thats something that both the Parcells model looks at and something we are really judgemental of QBs in the pros about. So I thought about adding those factors, but the problem becomes how much weight to give to these different factors of a QB. Another factor that I've been looking at is how dependent the offense is on the QB and that seems to be an important factor. For instance (I think this is right) Alabama runs the ball 36.6 percent of the time, compare that with 45.4 for North Dakota State, and 34.3 for Clemson. I think that I want this number to be larger because in general low numbers can lead to inflated statistics. 

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sundberg may not be back actually

@Skinsinparadise who do you have at the #19, as being the best available Long Snapper at that slot ?

Funny thing, It seems Mac Jones best friend (or at least he was always next to on the sidelines) is Thomas Fletcher #45. He is a ranked long snapper from Alabama - and in that "fat" pic posted on the board a couple times by Macs #1 fan.Perhaps we have a parlay of picks lol

• Like 1

Any thoughts on Nicholas Morrow 26 year old LB from the raiders? He seems like a guy who would fit our free agency profile of someone ready to take the next step but still somewhat unproven, who would benefit playing with a d-line like ours. 

I wonder if BJ Goodson might be someone we look at as a cheapish upgrade over Jon Bostic?

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

Need to establish the cap already so teams can start shaping their rosters. Nobody wants to start the demolition spree until they know where they stand.

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

One thing no one seems to realize is that FA will essentially be starting early this year. We wont be waiting until the 15th before stuff starts hitting the fan.

With the massive amount of cuts coming, teams will be able to sign players before FA even starts, as cut players don't have an assigned team and are available to talk to. (like JJ Watt)

Teams will be able to start plugging holes thanks to the massive pools of available talent. Once those cuts go through with the NFL, tampering is out the window.

Furthermore the next two weeks will be more competitive than true FA, as teams don't have to be under the cap until 48hrs after the 17th (I think) so some squads that are currently over the cap will still bring in select players they covet now since it will be approved by the NFL even though they are over the cap. Then they will have the remaining time period to sort things out... leading to even more cuts.

This will leave even less money for the pure FA market, so the middle and low tier markets are going to crash even harder. If you want to rake in the green this offseason and your name is not A-Rob, its probably in your best interest to get cut in the next few days. Pure FAs are kinda getting the shaft this year, first in available money, and now getting jumped in line.

I think this feeding frenzy will kick off once front offices have a locked in cap situation. Could be tomorrow, next week, who knows. It will be fun tho.

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Doesn't make sense at all.

I keep hearing the supposed logic "Well, all the people who Trent had issues with, are no longer with the team. So surely he wants to come back"

But the problem with that is, at the very time he was traded, based on his insistence, all those same people he had issues with, were no longer with the team, then either.

• Like 2

Von Miller interests me on a 2 or 3 year deal. I know he is under investigation right now. But Denver is going to cut him to save cap space. He immediately fixes one of your outside backer spots. Line him up behind Chase and watch him eat. He also had a career year playing for JDR in a 4-3. So he knows what JDR wants to do. 

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Doesn't make sense at all.

I keep hearing the supposed logic "Well, all the people who Trent had issues with, are no longer with the team. So surely he wants to come back"

But the problem with that is, at the very time he was traded, based on his insistence, all those same people he had issues with, were no longer with the team, then either.

I hear what your saying, but as a FA, Trent wants as many suitors as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Gabe Jackson is a very good starter, it's a clear cost-savings cut... we will see many of these. It's a great spot to be in for the WFT with the cap space we will have. Might help lower Scherffs value a bit with more quality starters on the market

this is why Schrffs market might not be as good as he thinks.... let's get Jackson for half the price