Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I pretty much agree.  KR is a guy you track to see if he’s in your price range. He can provide inline blocking.  To me, he makes more sense than say Njouko or Everett (I really like Everett, btw).

The irony is what some are arguing against this to me comes off that they think the dude is the same guy from years ago.  He's not.  I'd expect a dude like Everett to be more expensive than Rudolph.   My intererst in him is because he comes off like a prototype #2 TE who won't break the bank.    If he were still in his 20s, I'd get the monster contract concern, he will take reps away from Logan Thomas crowd.  But he's not that guy anymore.   Plus you need to have more than one pass catching TE.    Among other things what happens if Thomas gets hurt, Sprinkle becomes the go to guy?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A first rounder and third rounder is pretty big.   

As for them being calculated, sure, but what does that have to do with whether they chase Rudolph or not?  If they chase him are you going to be dissapointed?   I won't care one way or another but I presume he's going to be at least considered -- factoring the dearth of options in FA coupled with TEs from the draft don't tend to hit the ground running in their rookie year.

What Keim among others have said to death is they in a code red fashion want to upgrade their receiving corp to help whomever the QB this year and a 2nd option at TE is part of that plan supposedly.

This Keim below frtom today.

Yeah I think a 1st and 3rd for Stafford was worth the offer but not too big.  Obviously the Rams went big. 

Being calculated, referencing to whatever their plan is, assumes I wouldn't expect them to overpay for Rudolph.  If they do, it won't bother me either way.  I'm not emotionally invested in how they spend their cap dollars and really more inclined to trust the FO now more than ever. 

Keim didn't take much risk with that call.  We all saw the receivers dropping balls and quitting on routes all year.  Definitely expect them to target receivers every chance they get. 

17 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah I think a 1st and 3rd for Stafford was worth the offer but not too big.  Obviously the Rams went big. 

Being calculated, referencing to whatever their plan is, assumes I wouldn't expect them to overpay for Rudolph.  If they do, it won't bother me either way.  I'm not emotionally invested in how they spend their cap dollars and really more inclined to trust the FO now more than ever. 

Keim didn't take much risk with that call.  We all saw the receivers dropping balls and quitting on routes all year.  Definitely expect them to target receivers every chance they get. 

The first and third we thought on the Qb thread was big before the trade was made, that was as far as most were willing to go.  The Rams just went crazy. No one expected it would take two first rounders and change to get Stafford.

My point wasn't that Keim was bringing special insight.  My point was he and others have said they desperately want to upgrade the receiving corp this off season and don't expect it to necessarily be a cheap bargain bin version of it.  They offered over 20 million a year for Amari Cooper last off season but he turned it down and there wasn't an attractive option B to throw money at.

I am not expecting them to go cheap to upgrade the receiving corp.  But the irony for me is my hype about Rudolph is partly based on him being cheaper than what IMO are the only other two attractive options that exist at TE (I don't think we have a shot at Henry for reasons I expressed):  Everett and J. Smith.  I think Rudolph is likely the bargain shop guy compared to the other 2 considering his age and recent production.  Will see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rudolph is not a #1 anymore IMO.    That's part of the point here.  Maybe I'll be shocked and the dude gets a monster contract.  But the dude has put up 300 yards and change for the last two years.

In 2020,

Our # 2 TE had 1 reception

Our # 3 TE had 1 reception

Our # 4 TE had 1 reception.

Those are all true and accurate facts.

So a #2 TE who puts up 300 yards would actually be a huge boost

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kyle Rudolph effectively got 6mill per over last 4 years.  With age and down cap, I'd be ok with like 1yr / 4-5ish mill.  I think we have room for 2 TEs potentially, so it's not like that would block anyone.  We did several 1 and 2 year deals last year, so I'm expecting a few like this.  Not saying it's going to be this guy, but I could see this being team friendly enough to do it.

image.png.f6ac65967b77ebba7fb472429262e118.png

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rudolph is not a #1 anymore IMO.    That's part of the point here.  Maybe I'll be shocked and the dude gets a monster contract.  But the dude has put up 300 yards and change for the last two years.

Our #2 TEs are garbage.  If Thomas got hurt we'd be screwed.   Thomas isn't some Spring Chicken himself.  He's going to be 30 before the season starts.    

I am all in on the later-round uber-athletic, can't-block-a-tacking-dummy type at the position in the draft. They can learn to block, but we really need someone that will stress the defense there. I would love someone like Kenny Yeboah out of Ole Miss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am all in on the later-round uber-athletic, can't-block-a-tacking-dummy type at the position in the draft. They can learn to block, but we really need someone that will stress the defense there. I would love someone like Kenny Yeboah out of Ole Miss.

I’m don’t want a liability especially if our OL doesn’t play like this did last year.

I think that more attractive tight ends will be on the market than in previous years particularly with the cuts that are upcoming. Along with the list of people already mentioned becoming free agents e.g. H Henry, Jonnu Smith, G Everrett, J Cook, another layer of players will be available at the position which has already started with K Rudolph. Other potential cuts include Z Ertz, C Brate and D Njoku with others potentially becoming available. Therefore I think its crucial this is taken advantage to get a reliable TE #2. 

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not banging the drum for Rudolph either but TE is typically one of the crappiest positions in FA.  It's crappy IMO this year again.    Henry I think we got no shot at.  Jonnu Smith likely breaks the bank because of his youth and he's on the rise.  After him, IMO its just Everett who is clearly above average.

Rudolph to me instantly now is top 5 or close enough in the TE group.

WR has plenty of fish in the sea as far as intriguing players.  TE to me as usual is mostly yawn.   Not that Rudolph is that exciting but relatively speaking he just might be. 

Rudolph would an awesome #2 TE to match with Thomas. He can catch and block, imagine that lol.

I like the way you are thinking cap wise as well. He would fit the same mold as what RR was looking for when he went at Olsen last year before signing with Seattle.

TE's often take time to acclimate to the NFL more than other positions and Rudolph would be ready to hit the bricks (turf) running. 

Regarding Van Noy, he has been super productive and a great leader. I am wondering if his release is a sign of him losing a step whether due to age of last years injury. I mean Flores knew exactly what he was getting with him when signing him to a 4 year deal last year.

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

In 2020,

Our # 2 TE had 1 reception

Our # 3 TE had 1 reception

Our # 4 TE had 1 reception.

Those are all true and accurate facts.

So a #2 TE who puts up 300 yards would actually be a huge boost

Agree.  And for those posts about how he'd break the bank.  While you never know, i really doubt it.  Part of the idea for me is he actually shouldn't break the bank.  

Logan Thomas is a nice find.  But most teams actually have a 2nd TE who can catch some balls, too.  

The best TE arguably on the market who will likely break the bank is that dude below.  I'd guess 12 million a year for Jonnu. 

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Rudolph would an awesome #2 TE to match with Thomas. He can catch and block, imagine that lol.

I like the way you are thinking cap wise as well. He would fit the same mold as what RR was looking for when he went at Olsen last year before signing with Seattle.

TE's often take time to acclimate to the NFL more than other positions and Rudolph would be ready to hit the bricks (turf) running. 

Good point I forgot about them kicking the tires on Olsen last year.

If last year is an indication, we will be swinging hard at some targets and some bargain basement hires happe, too.  We swung hard at Cooper and supposedly Hooper too until the price looked out of hand. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The best TE arguably on the market who will likely break the bank is that dude below.  I'd guess 12 million a year for Jonnu. 

Good point I forgot about them kicking the tires on Olsen last year.

If last year is an indication, we will be swinging hard at some targets and some bargain basement hires happe, too.  We swung hard at Cooper and supposedly Hooper too until the price looked out of hand. 

Jonnu has been my #1 TE target. Rudolphs availability gives me two top targets to match with Thomas. After that I feel better with some of the day two draft options

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

Neville Hewitt is a LB I find intriguing for WFT but do not have a ton of info on him and do not recall him mentioned in the thread.

He appears to have many of the top intangibles including leadership traits and has stats to prove his ability. Anyone have more on him and know how good he is in covering a TE or RB

EDIT, added:

He went undrafted in 2014 out of Marshall

I have seen him listed between 6'1 and 6'2 and between 220-236 has played both inside and outside mostly in a 3-4. He is 27 years old.

Last year he has 134 tackles with the Jets

Edited by DWinzit

12 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thaddeus Moss isn't exactly a field-stretcher. I think his speed was an issue coming out last year, on top of the injury. But it sounded like the team was expecting him to contribute in 2021 the way one of the beat guys talked about him. I would expect him to at least be our TE3. But the team might have a bigger role for him in mind ... I guess we'll see. Either way, bringing in a solid TE would make sense simply as competition. But I would love it if Moss emerged as a legitimate TE on this team, because I was really high on him coming out last year. He's also a superb blocker.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Thaddeus Moss isn't exactly a field-stretcher. I think his speed was an issue coming out last year, on top of the injury. But it sounded like the team was expecting him to contribute in 2021 the way one of the beat guys talked about him. I would expect him to at least be our TE3. But the team might have a bigger role for him in mind ... I guess we'll see. Either way, bringing in a solid TE would make sense simply as competition. But I would love it if Moss emerged as a legitimate TE on this team, because I was really high on him coming out last year. He's also a superb blocker.

Moss would be a good #3 TE with those blocking skills and ability to line up at lead blocker in the backfield FB or H-back. Would allow the #2 TE to be more of a receiver type threat too

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Moss would be a good #3 TE with those blocking skills and ability to line up at lead blocker in the backfield FB or H-back. Would allow the #2 TE to be more of a receiver type threat too

Agree, which is why I don't mind adding an athletic, semi-turnstyle. We have 2 good/decent blockers, that aren't going to threaten vertically. Don't get me wrong, I love Logan Thomas, but he is not going to keep DCs up at night.

• Like 1