Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter signed;Sundberg, Darby, KPL, Moreau out


Recommended Posts

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-nfls-top-15-tight-ends-ahead-of-2020-nfl-season

13. KYLE RUDOLPH, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Rudolph doesn't exactly excite, but he is reliable and a steady producer — more than what can be said for many tight ends around the NFL. Quarterbacks have recorded a 115.6 passer rating when targeting Rudolph over the past five years — fourth among 34 tight ends to see at least 150 targets — and part of that success stems from just how sure his hands have been.

Lowest Drop Rate Among Tight Ends Since 2015 | Min. 150 Targets
Player Total Drops Drop Rate
Kyle Rudolph 9 2.9% (1st)
Jordan Reed 7 2.9% (1st)
Greg Olsen 8 3.0% (3rd)
Jack Doyle 9 3.8% (4th)
Jason Witten 11 3.8% (4th)

He’s not going to win many foot races after the catch or challenge defenders vertically, but he will catch nearly everything thrown his way and move the chains in the short and intermediate ranges.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, the Vikings have taken 140 snaps with two tight ends on the field, which is the second-most in the NFL behind the Philadelphia Eagles (143). The percentage of plays (39) Minnesota has run out of 12 and 22 personnel leads the NFL.

This role might be unfamiliar for Rudolph but provides increased motivation.

"For me it’s a lot of fun because no one thinks I can block, so to go out there, to not give up a sack to Khalil Mack, and block Leonard Floyd, Clelin Farrell, no one expects me to do that. Everyone knows I can run around and catch balls," Rudolph said.

When the Vikings played the Detroit Lions, their upcoming opponent, in Week 16 last season, Rudolph notched his third career 100-yard receiving game along with two touchdowns.

 

 

 

 

While limited opportunities have come Rudolph’s way, often in the form of tight end screens, Stefanksi believes that his role could eventually shift back to what he’s used to.

"I think sample size is hard, and you’ve seen in the last two ballgames how things start to even out. I hate to keep going back, but we had two ballgames where we were ahead and we just kept running it, so I think the pendulum will swing a little bit on that stuff."

For now, Rudolph remains committed to his blocking role. It feels unconventional, but the areas of the game he’s affecting, particularly as a run blocker, lead the way for the Vikings to have the No. 3 rushing offense.

"You got Kyle making big blocks, Conk (Tyler Conklin), Irv, all those guys, CJ (Ham) going down there and making some big blocks at the tight end position," Cook said. "So it’s a collective group that’s just going in there and not worrying about catching balls and stat lines, so you got to tip their hats off to those guys and sticking their hand in there and blocking.’’

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/29049/vikings-kyle-rudolph-still-productive-even-if-hes-not-catching-tds

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-nfls-top-15-tight-ends-ahead-of-2020-nfl-season

13. KYLE RUDOLPH, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Rudolph doesn't exactly excite, but he is reliable and a steady producer — more than what can be said for many tight ends around the NFL. Quarterbacks have recorded a 115.6 passer rating when targeting Rudolph over the past five years — fourth among 34 tight ends to see at least 150 targets — and part of that success stems from just how sure his hands have been.

Lowest Drop Rate Among Tight Ends Since 2015 | Min. 150 Targets
Player Total Drops Drop Rate
Kyle Rudolph 9 2.9% (1st)
Jordan Reed 7 2.9% (1st)
Greg Olsen 8 3.0% (3rd)
Jack Doyle 9 3.8% (4th)
Jason Witten 11 3.8% (4th)

He’s not going to win many foot races after the catch or challenge defenders vertically, but he will catch nearly everything thrown his way and move the chains in the short and intermediate ranges.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, the Vikings have taken 140 snaps with two tight ends on the field, which is the second-most in the NFL behind the Philadelphia Eagles (143). The percentage of plays (39) Minnesota has run out of 12 and 22 personnel leads the NFL.

This role might be unfamiliar for Rudolph but provides increased motivation.

"For me it’s a lot of fun because no one thinks I can block, so to go out there, to not give up a sack to Khalil Mack, and block Leonard Floyd, Clelin Farrell, no one expects me to do that. Everyone knows I can run around and catch balls," Rudolph said.

When the Vikings played the Detroit Lions, their upcoming opponent, in Week 16 last season, Rudolph notched his third career 100-yard receiving game along with two touchdowns.

 

 

 

 

While limited opportunities have come Rudolph’s way, often in the form of tight end screens, Stefanksi believes that his role could eventually shift back to what he’s used to.

"I think sample size is hard, and you’ve seen in the last two ballgames how things start to even out. I hate to keep going back, but we had two ballgames where we were ahead and we just kept running it, so I think the pendulum will swing a little bit on that stuff."

For now, Rudolph remains committed to his blocking role. It feels unconventional, but the areas of the game he’s affecting, particularly as a run blocker, lead the way for the Vikings to have the No. 3 rushing offense.

"You got Kyle making big blocks, Conk (Tyler Conklin), Irv, all those guys, CJ (Ham) going down there and making some big blocks at the tight end position," Cook said. "So it’s a collective group that’s just going in there and not worrying about catching balls and stat lines, so you got to tip their hats off to those guys and sticking their hand in there and blocking.’’

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/29049/vikings-kyle-rudolph-still-productive-even-if-hes-not-catching-tds

 

 

Both guys have ties to WAS decision makers/coordinators. We’re just getting started with cut season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say no to both Van Noy and Kyle Rudolph. These 30 year olds are expensive as hell and will be bad contracts in two years. KVN is an OLB and we really need someone in the middle to replace Bostic. Kyle Rudolph's best days are behind him and he didn't agree to take a paycut with the Vikings, so he's definitely looking to get paid. 

 

Why should we pick up these players with contracts that other teams are trying to shed? You know for a fact at their age they're going to want that money right before their production really starts to decline. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd say no to both Van Noy and Kyle Rudolph. These 30 year olds are expensive as hell and will be bad contracts in two years. KVN is an OLB and we really need someone in the middle to replace Bostic. Kyle Rudolph's best days are behind him and he didn't agree to take a paycut with the Vikings, so he's definitely looking to get paid. 

 

Why should we pick up these players with contracts that other teams are trying to shed? You know for a fact at their age they're going to want that money right before their production really starts to decline. 

I agree with you and would argue that their best days are already behind them.  NE sold high on Van Noy and the Dolphins got burned and dumped him.  He also has hip issues which is a 'no thanks' for LB'ers.  Rudolph is a sure handed receiving target inside 10  yards and an ok blocker.  However he's slow and limited in the idea of what TE's are used for now.  If WFT is buying TE 1/2 this year than there are 10 others that are ahead of him. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt Rudolph is going to get a big contract, his numbers don't warrant it.  It's not easy to find TEs on the market so maybe that helps him but I doubt he's getting a big contract. 

There appears to be quiet a bit of options out there this year compared to avg years.  I'm looking at this list and don't know all the situations.  Wonder who they're targeting, but I don't view Rudolph as that guy.

https://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2021TE.php

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

 

There appears to be quiet a bit of options out there this year compared to avg years.  I'm looking at this list and don't know all the situations.  Wonder who they're targeting, but I don't view Rudolph as that guy.

https://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2021TE.php

 

We've all seen the lists.  There are always lots of names.  I didn't mean it literally as for lacking options.  We got a zillion options in every spot.  The question is are they actually good?

 

If we got quite a bit of good options, tell me which ones?  

 

My take is the three most intriguing.

 

A.  Hunter Henry (though I've read he might be tagged and if he isn't he said he wants to go to a place with a top QB)

 

B. Jonnu Smith (top TE in the market arguably and likely gets big money)

 

C.  Gerald Everett

 

So outside of those three (1 of which I think we got no shot at) which players do you dig?  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I agree with you and would argue that their best days are already behind them.  NE sold high on Van Noy and the Dolphins got burned and dumped him.  He also has hip issues which is a 'no thanks' for LB'ers.  Rudolph is a sure handed receiving target inside 10  yards and an ok blocker.  However he's slow and limited in the idea of what TE's are used for now.  If WFT is buying TE 1/2 this year than there are 10 others that are ahead of him. 

There appears to be quiet a bit of options out there this year compared to avg years.  I'm looking at this list and don't know all the situations.  Wonder who they're targeting, but I don't view Rudolph as that guy.

https://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2021TE.php

I’m not banging the drum for Rudolph.  The more guys who hit the market is better for us.  As for the WF list of TEs, I don’t see three of the first five guys going anywhere.  Henry will end up being very expensive, I could see him going past the limit we set for him like the ATL-Cle TE this past offseason.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the type of year the doesn't come along often that we should take advantage of. Good cap space, a lot of teams in trouble and a stagnant cap that wasn't expected at this time last year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

We've all seen the lists.  There are always lots of names.  I didn't mean it literally as for lacking options.  We got a zillion options in every spot.  The question is are they actually good?

 

If we got quite a bit of good options, tell me which ones?  

 

My take is the three most intriguing.

 

A.  Hunter Henry (though I've read he might be tagged and if he isn't he said he wants to go to a place with a top QB)

 

B. Jonnu Smith (top TE in the market arguably and likely gets big money)

 

C.  Gerald Everett

 

So outside of those three (1 of which I think we got no shot at) which players do you dig?  

I like Everett as a target, but who knows what they're thinking.  They clearly did well with Logan Thomas and drafting a guy might be what they do this year.  I doesn't appear that they are in a hurry to go big early this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ball Security said:

I’m not banging the drum for Rudolph.  The more guys who hit the market is better for us.  As for the WF list of TEs, I don’t see three of the first five guys going anywhere.  Henry will end up being very expensive, I could see him going past the limit we set for him like the ATL-Cle TE this past offseason.

 

I am not banging the drum for Rudolph either but TE is typically one of the crappiest positions in FA.  It's crappy IMO this year again.    Henry I think we got no shot at.  Jonnu Smith likely breaks the bank because of his youth and he's on the rise.  After him, IMO its just Everett who is clearly above average.

 

Rudolph to me instantly now is top 5 or close enough in the TE group.

 

WR has plenty of fish in the sea as far as intriguing players.  TE to me as usual is mostly yawn.   Not that Rudolph is that exciting but relatively speaking he just might be. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This is the type of year the doesn't come along often that we should take advantage of. Good cap space, a lot of teams in trouble and a stagnant cap that wasn't expected at this time last year. 

I agree and the FO patience this year could be the best strategy.  It appears that's their plan while filling needs for long term goals (ie 2022).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I like Everett as a target, but who knows what they're thinking.  They clearly did well with Logan Thomas and drafting a guy might be what they do this year.  I doesn't appear that they are in a hurry to go big early this year. 

 

Not sure what you mean but it doesn't appear that they are in a hurry to go big early this year?  You mean as for signing players?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want a number 1 who costs a lot and pushed Thomas to 2, I want a 1B to Thomas' 1A or a 2.  I wish people would stop thinking constantly thinking about upgrading solid starters and spend more time on upgrading backups who aren't good enough

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I like Everett as a target, but who knows what they're thinking.  They clearly did well with Logan Thomas and drafting a guy might be what they do this year.  I doesn't appear that they are in a hurry to go big early this year. 

They need to replace Sprinkle’s 200+ snaps.  I could see them addressing that early with a cheap signing like Swaim or O’Shaunnessy early.  Then see how the rest of FA, the draft, and Moss works out.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Not sure what you mean but it doesn't appear that they are in a hurry to go big early this year?  You mean as for signing players?

I'm just saying from the appearance they could have gone big on Stafford and didn't.  They seem to be pretty calculated.  I'm assuming when they do pull the trigger on a big FA signing or trade move then it would have been a target on their radar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I am not banging the drum for Rudolph either but TE is typically one of the crappiest positions in FA.  It's crappy IMO this year again.    Henry I think we got no shot at.  Jonnu Smith likely breaks the bank because of his youth and he's on the rise.  After him, IMO its just Everett who is clearly above average.

 

Rudolph to me instantly now is top 5 or close enough in the TE group.

 

WR has plenty of fish in the sea as far as intriguing players.  TE to me as usual is mostly yawn.   Not that Rudolph is that exciting but relatively speaking he just might be. 

I wouldn't mind Rudolph to run some 12 personnel, but Logan right now is better than all those available on the market save Henry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

I am not banging the drum for Rudolph either but TE is typically one of the crappiest positions in FA.  It's crappy IMO this year again.    Henry I think we got no shot at.  Jonnu Smith likely breaks the bank because of his youth and he's on the rise.  After him, IMO its just Everett who is clearly above average.

 

Rudolph to me instantly now is top 5 or close enough in the TE group.

 

WR has plenty of fish in the sea as far as intriguing players.  TE to me as usual is mostly yawn.   Not that Rudolph is that exciting but relatively speaking he just might be. 

I pretty much agree.  KR is a guy you track to see if he’s in your price range. He can provide inline blocking.  To me, he makes more sense than say Njouko or Everett (I really like Everett, btw).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudolph is not a #1 anymore IMO.    That's part of the point here.  Maybe I'll be shocked and the dude gets a monster contract.  But the dude has put up 300 yards and change for the last two years.

 

Our #2 TEs are garbage.  If Thomas got hurt we'd be screwed.   Thomas isn't some Spring Chicken himself.  He's going to be 30 before the season starts.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheShredder said:

OMG Sprinkle...last year when he screwed up that fumble recovery I was like this guy...

giphy.gif

Just remember if we pursue Jayon Brown, we selected Jeremy Sprinkle one spot ahead of him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Just remember if we pursue Jayon Brown, we selected Jeremy Sprinkle one spot ahead of him.

Draft is where it's at for building your roster, but man it's such a crap shoot.  That's what makes the NFL more interesting in the off season because it just feels more competitive all around then other sports.  At least that's how view it.  Gotta nail those picks for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I'm just saying from the appearance they could have gone big on Stafford and didn't.  They seem to be pretty calculated.  I'm assuming when they do pull the trigger on a big FA signing or trade move then it would have been a target on their radar. 

 

A first rounder and third rounder is pretty big.   

 

As for them being calculated, sure, but what does that have to do with whether they chase Rudolph or not?  If they chase him are you going to be dissapointed?   I won't care one way or another but I presume he's going to be at least considered -- factoring the dearth of options in FA coupled with TEs from the draft don't tend to hit the ground running in their rookie year.

 

What Keim among others have said to death is they in a code red fashion want to upgrade their receiving corp to help whomever the QB is this year and a 2nd option at TE is part of that plan supposedly.

 

This Keim below frtom today.

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41080/washington-football-team-free-agency-overview-offensive-help-a-priority

TIGHT END

Under contract: Logan Thomas, Thaddeus Moss, Temarrick Hemingway, Tyrone Swoopes, Marcus Baugh

UFA: Jeremy Sprinkle

Game plan: Get more help. Thomas had a terrific season, but he was the only pass-catching threat at this position. Washington needs a lot more, plus blocking help in case the young players such as Moss don't pan out. 

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Just remember if we pursue Jayon Brown, we selected Jeremy Sprinkle one spot ahead of him.

 

the sad thing about Sprinkle is he isn't even a good blocker.   TE is one of the most hit miss positions in the draft and its one of the hardest spots to develop fast.  It takes time.  I am ok with drafting a TE, I've pushed for it for years.  But heck even if we did, we could use two more TEs.   A FA and a dude in the draft.  We seem to be allergic as to drafting that spot for whatever reason in recent years. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter signed;Sundberg, Darby, KPL, Moreau out

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...