Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Get Mcain signed and lets roll with this crew. I cannot wait for this season, been dreadful the last few years knowing your team doesnt have a shot. I used to be so optimistic and had to 180 to keep from the weekly/annual disappointment. This is the first time I've been excited about the squad in years. 

I have faith that we'll get the TE position locked down and that there's enough depth and better starters at pretty much every hole from last year. Well done WFT, great offseason! 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leno - Flowers - Roullier - Scherff - Moses

Cosmi - Schweitzer - Ismael - Charles - Lucas 

our backup OL might not be a bad unit. 

Have to Imagine this means Charles either sucks and is not meant for the NFL or he’s permanently moving to RG or RT. You drafted Cosmi to play LT longterm. You signed Leno to start their in 2021. You traded for Flowers to compete at LG where Schweitzer was already competent. In my mind Charles either kicks to RG or RT or isn’t in the longterm plans 

Seems like they think of Charles as a guard. Not the end of the world if that’s the case, we’ll need a long term solution at both guard spots too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redskindan07 said:

Perhaps the makings of one of the best OL's we've had in quite some time. Depth liked we haven't had in awhile...

I was just thinking that. 

Arguably the best C they've had in 20 years.

The best OG in that time too. There aren't too many great guards in that time overall. 

Moses is playing his best ball right now. 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leno - Flowers - Roullier - Scherff - Moses

Cosmi - Schweitzer - Ismael - Charles - Lucas 

our backup OL might not be a bad unit. 

Have to Imagine this means Charles either sucks and is not meant for the NFL or he’s permanently moving to RG or RT. You drafted Cosmi to play LT longterm. You signed Leno to start their in 2021. You traded for Flowers to compete at LG where Schweitzer was already competent. In my mind Charles either kicks to RG or RT or isn’t in the longterm plans 

Charles' 1st year was a redshirt.

This year he'll be a flexible reserve who'll probably play with injuries. Next year, team may be looking at two new guards. He has a spot, just 'blocked' for now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tchrpe1 said:

Does that mean McCain is off the table? 

My take on Monday was that they made the decision to sign both players who were known to be in for a visit (Leno and McCain).

Starting spots are hard to come by this late in the game. The money talks can take a couple of days for the vet FAs at this point of the process. 

I expect the McCain news to come soon. 

• Like 4

Leno is a great signing at 5 mil.  Upgrade at LT for 2021, gives cosmi a redshirt year to work on technique and allows us another year to be patient with Charles, and we will get a decent comp pick when Leno walks next year.   Love it!

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I forgot Schweizer was a RG in ATL. So I guess Charles at LG and WS flipping to backup Scherff makes most sense. 

I really hope we get an offer of at least a 3rd for scherff, I'd pull the trigger right now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

They are just trying to strengthen the roster where ever they can. the more competition at every position the better

I don't have a problem adding good players.  There just seems to be this media focus on a "huge glaring need at LT" and I don't think that's true...

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don't think this necessarily means they have soured on Charles.  Adding depth with value signings is never a bad idea if you can afford it, and we can.  Charles is still an unknown, now he has some time to refine his game before he gets thrown in the fire.  Maybe they still aren't sure of his best fit, G vs T, and now have 2021 to get a better idea of his role on this team.  He was a 4th rounder, even if he is just a backup G/T who can be productive when injuries arise, he will still play a valuable role on the team.  Charles is a big TBD imo.

• Like 1

Yeah think its clear they see Charles as a guard. Cosmi needs at least a year to get up to scratch. Last thing you want is to be forced into playing him and we see him getting destroyed and his confidence shattered. This buys him time to develop. Great move. 

• Like 1

What a great feeling finally having confidence in both our lines.

How many teams can say that one of their lines has the potential to be very good, (possibly even top 5) and is two deep at every position and the other is considerably better!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I can understand the outlook, but I’m not sure it’s necessarily the case (re staff seeing SC as a G).   
If you consider Cosmi may not be ready to start right away, and Charles is pretty much an unknown, they have Lucas starting again and no real competition for him.  We also have Lucas/Leno as FAs next year.  
Our oline did some things pretty well, but for the most part was not good*.  I think the FO knows they need to improve the oline for Gibson and Fitzpatrick’s sakes.    
We as fans tend to pencil in guys like Cosmi and Charles as competition/depth, but coaches (this staff in particular) aren’t content with relying on potential.  
I’m not saying SC is going to play tackle, just that I don’t think the staff knows yet.  I actually think/agree G is probably his best spot.  

*sidenote:   a back with Gibson’s elusiveness, speed and power to push the pile, if you knew he was second in the league in broken tackles, you’d assume he was near the top of the league in ypc (he was 20th).  

On top of that, we had Smith getting the ball out quickly to dump offs, Allen and Heinicke eluding rushers often, and yet we still allowed the 2nd most sacks.  (I get there were other factors, but that ain’t good).  
Lastly, the staff knows they need the best oline possible to allow for Fitz to hit those deep balls.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 3

Also worth noting that Leno, Lucas, and Scherff all only have one year left on their deals. Flowers’ contract in 2022 is essentially a $10 mil team option (no penalty for cutting him). Moses’ contract in 2022 is similar, $8m with no cap penalty for cutting him. 

So essentially none of these guys are guaranteed to be here after this upcoming season. Point being, neither guard or tackle position is really blocked for Cosmi OR Charles to start in 2022. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Also worth noting that Leno, Lucas, and Scherff all only have one year left on their deals. Flowers’ contract in 2022 is essentially a $10 mil team option (no penalty for cutting him). Moses’ contract in 2022 is similar, $8m with no cap penalty for cutting him. 

So essentially none of these guys are guaranteed to be here after this upcoming season. Point being, neither guard or tackle position is really blocked for Cosmi OR Charles to start in 2022. 

Schweitzer has one more like Moses/Flowers, although 1 mill dead if you're keeping track.

Chase the only long term, 2nd contract we have.

• Like 1

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter signed, LT Charles Leno;Sundberg, Darby, KPL, Moreau out