Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

8 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Interesting viewpoint.  Any particular situations come to mind? 

It's hard to know because the rooks so often never got a chance to prove themselves. I remember one time when we had a spate of running back injuries. We kept signing street free agents who immediately jumped onto the field. At the time, I was pretty impressed that we were able to get these guys up to speed and that they were productive so quickly. I seem to remember us doing that with safety or corner, too at times.

Looking back though, we had young back ups who remained young back ups and never saw the field. The coaches preferred to play these known quantities even if they've only been on the team for a week instead of the pups who'd been here for the offseason, preseason, etc. 

In that specific case, it could be that the coaches thought their backups and draftees were bums, but on the other hand, they never really gave them a shot to prove they weren't bums.

Off the top of my head I can't think of too many examples where a player buried on the bench for a long, long time finally got their chance and produced. I'm sure such examples exist, but for so long... the mantra was "Someone got hurt! Who are we going to sign!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

that’s the spirit Ryan, 10 seasons in, don’t walk away just when it starts to get interesting.

I think alternative landing spots dried up post-draft. We know he doesn't want to be the third wheel, but that's where his physical ability is at. 

I am assuming they have written off extending Scherff.

If they bring back RK for the year and sign McCain and Leno, is there anything left to extend Allen or Payne? 

I still think the right LB becomes available they will strike.

Edited by DWinzit

34 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am assuming they have written off extending Scherff.

If they bring back RK for the year and sign McCain and Leno, is there anything left to extend Allen or Payne? 

I still think the right LB becomes available they will strike.

we have no way of knowing what the cap will be next year after some recovery from the pandemic and McCain, Leno an Kerrigan may be all on one year deals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

This youtube channel is growing on me. 

He's growing on me a lot and he makes the perfect point. With us wanting to play a more aggressive man D coverage, it definitely means more cover one and without a centerfielder, you can really get cooked. I'm assuming JDR wants Collins lighter for run and pass blitzing too. Our Dline makes great holes and Collins shoots like a missile, but you have to have that FS back there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

It's hard to know because the rooks so often never got a chance to prove themselves. I remember one time when we had a spate of running back injuries. We kept signing street free agents who immediately jumped onto the field. At the time, I was pretty impressed that we were able to get these guys up to speed and that they were productive so quickly. I seem to remember us doing that with safety or corner, too at times.

Looking back though, we had young back ups who remained young back ups and never saw the field. The coaches preferred to play these known quantities even if they've only been on the team for a week instead of the pups who'd been here for the offseason, preseason, etc. 

In that specific case, it could be that the coaches thought their backups and draftees were bums, but on the other hand, they never really gave them a shot to prove they weren't bums.

Off the top of my head I can't think of too many examples where a player buried on the bench for a long, long time finally got their chance and produced. I'm sure such examples exist, but for so long... the mantra was "Someone got hurt! Who are we going to sign!"

I remember thinking the same with our oline.  We would be signing guys off the street and they'd step in and be successful.   Jonathon cooper comes to mind.

I think part of the reason young guys didn't get a chance to develop could be rooted in self preservation and self interest by gruden and Allen for years.  After a string of either poor or mediocre seasons, they could've made decisions based on who is best today, vs what is best for our long term interests. 

I'm glad we have RR and co who have definitely earned a bit of a leash.  I think their patient approach towards qb, lb, etc shows they know it's a bit more of a methodical process than the quick fix attempts of the past.

• Like 2

those guys we were signing off the street weren't stepping in and being successful, we were signing them to backup our newly elevated starters and those guys were either bombing hard or also getting hurt

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I’d be shocked if any of those 3 deals, if they even happen, have any impact on Allen or Payne. These aren’t big money long term deals we’re talking about and our cap is in great shape. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

that’s the spirit Ryan, 10 seasons in, don’t walk away just when it starts to get interesting.

Kerrigan is our perfect vet de signing.  Someone who deserves to have some team success here. And he will not ever complain about playing time, and he will play his passing down role well.  He has already gotten his big deal, hope he signs a team friendly deal and we make a run with him still aboard.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Kerrigan is our perfect vet de signing.  Someone who deserves to have some team success here. And he will not ever complain about playing time, and he will play his passing down role well.  He has already gotten his big deal, hope he signs a team friendly deal and we make a run with him still aboard.

I hope this team doesn’t overpay him like my Yankees continue to do with Brett Gardner. Kerrigan has been overpaid for a couple of years now. So if he’s welcomed back, he does so humbly and takes minimal salary to be back in a familiar environment and a competitive team. Otherwise, no thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

I hope this team doesn’t overpay him like my Yankees continue to do with Brett Gardner. Kerrigan has been overpaid for a couple of years now. So if he’s welcomed back, he does so humbly and takes minimal salary to be back in a familiar environment and a competitive team. Otherwise, no thanks.

I don't think there's that much worry of overpaying Kerrigan. The market has spoken and he's not getting what he wanted. At this point, he'll get a one year deal to be a situational pass rusher.

17 hours ago, Burgold said:

One of things I really liked about last year is we actually let the rooks play. So many times in the past the ‘skins would draft players only to never let them on the field. They’d hire mediocre free agents time and time again so our pups never developed. 

I don’t want free agent placeholders who are C players starting over our rooks. I want the rooks with high potential to go through their growing pains so they can be actual contributors. 

I don’t want our Kamrron Kiel’s buried on the bench. 

I think this is more in your head than reality. As you noted, there's not really examples of good young players buried on the bench in Washington that went on to success elsewhere. If young players were not playing, there is a good reason. They were not good. You can show things in practice than can lead to game snaps. But if you're not showing them, it's not like playing game snaps magically makes you good. And really, I'm hard pressed to think of any young players that didn't get at least some snaps (assuming they made the 53). It's more of an issue of drafting bad players.

Leno, McCain and Kerrigan would give us such good depth. I’d be in favor of all 3. And none would change my long term plans. McCain is 32. 

Still, between our FA signings, the draft, and those guys, this would be the best roster I can remember us fielding since Joe Gibbs I.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Leno, McCain and Kerrigan would give us such good depth. I’d be in favor of all 3. And none would change my long term plans. McCain is 32.

32... years old? He’s 27. 
EDIT: Did you mean Kerrigan?

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I think this is more in your head than reality. As you noted, there's not really examples of good young players buried on the bench in Washington that went on to success elsewhere. If young players were not playing, there is a good reason. They were not good. You can show things in practice than can lead to game snaps. But if you're not showing them, it's not like playing game snaps magically makes you good. And really, I'm hard pressed to think of any young players that didn't get at least some snaps (assuming they made the 53). It's more of an issue of drafting bad players.

This is how I see it as well. And the few young players we did play weren't great. Who remembers Ryan "I fall down every other snap" Grant?

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm surprised that some contender that needs a pass rusher hasn't gone after Kerrigan. He's still a fine situational pass rusher but definitely not an everydown starter anymore.

It may be that, besides the market, Kerrigan might be having second thoughts about leaving Washington.

He's been here a long time. It would take a lot to pack and move. Particularly, when your career is winding down.

I'm sure if the right contract came along, he would take it, but he may just want to stay here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I don't think there's that much worry of overpaying Kerrigan. The market has spoken and he's not getting what he wanted. At this point, he'll get a one year deal to be a situational pass rusher.

Kerrigan wanted to be a 'starter'. And he likely wanted a salary commensurate with that usage. Which means he likely has an inflated sense of his value and abilities.

Clearly, he's not getting what he wanted. Yes, he's likely to get a 1-year deal as a situational pass rusher.

What I'm saying is..... $2-3M maximum.... or no thanks. I hope the WFT don't inflate his numbers out of nostalgia.

9 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Take that this site says with a grain of salt.  They take what other local sites say and report what they report.  FYI

15 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Not sure if this was posted:

Take that this site says with a grain of salt.  They take what other local sites say and report what they report.  FYI

Edited by RWJ

Ryan looked horrible at points last season. Having Young and Sweat out there really spotlights just how far RK has fallen. I had to double take several times last year when he was on the field and getting run around w/ ease.

I know he still had 5.5 sacks. But man, he put some really bad tape out there last year. I’m not shocked in the slightest he did not draw any significant interest from the 31 other teams. I would not be shocked in any way if he doesn’t make the team. And I’m a huge RK fan. Consummate pro with as solid a legacy as any modern day Skin.. But Time is undefeated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

There were reports he was unhappy last season with his playing time and it seemed to put pressure on the staff to play him more. As a laymen fan i found myself bummed when he was on the field knowing Chase or Sweat were not. Just doesn’t fit the speed movement taking place, but there will always be exceptions and he still has a solid bull rush. 

• Like 1