Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Anyone know why the Bears are releasing Leno? I didn't see it posted anywhere, apologize if someone already answered that.

Cap reasons. They released their Pro Bowl CB Kyle Fuller earlier this offseason for the same reason. 

3 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Cap reasons. They released their Pro Bowl CB Kyle Fuller earlier this offseason for the same reason. 

Thanks Terpfan. Any idea what would carry over to WTF if he signs here? I guess if he was released outright then nothing. 

Edited by Chris 44

9 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Thanks Terpfan. Any idea what would carry over to WTF if he signs here? I guess if he was released outright then nothing. 

Nothing from his contract with the Bears would carry over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

If Ismael actually looks like a viable long term piece, they’ll find a way to keep him. Even as a 10th OL if need be. That’s one position you can’t have too much depth at, especially young, controllable depth. 

Agreed. Plus, you need a back-up center. I suppose Schweitzer could be that guy, though I'm not sure how comfortable the coaches are relying on him there. Tyler Larsen would be another back-up center option. But it's looking more and more like 10 OL could be kept. And of course, the inevitable injuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

This is actually fair. Lucas could beat him out in camp pretty easily. Actually, they are pretty similar players. 

Anything is possible, but both Lucas and Leno were on the Bears in 2019. And both were the same age. We've seen this show before and Leno won out back then, not really expecting much different in 2021.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Anything is possible, but both Lucas and Leno were on the Bears in 2019. And both were in the same age. We've seen this show before and Leno won out back then, not really expecting much different in 2021.

yeah, that was exactly my thought.  Over his career Leno has started almost four times as many games and been a pro bowler

Should we be at all worried that signing Leno would slow Cosmi's development? Probably not..but it's worth thinking about if the plan is for him to become the much needed long-term solution at left tackle. 

I'm glad we're having Leno come in for a visit. For me, the benefit of signing him lies in the probability that we'll lose one or more of our offensive lineman to injury. If we don't sign Leno, I won't cry in my beer. I'm good with Moses, Lucas, and Cosmi...not to mention Charles, who should be able to play both guard and tackle. 

Signing Bobby McCain to play free safety is much more intriguing. I'm rooting for Darrick Forest and Jeremy Reeves, but it's hard to imagine that McCain wouldn't win that battle. I just don't want to see Kamren Curl on the bench. 

Geez, it gets really hard when you have a solid roster. It's a nice problem to have.

13 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Signing Bobby McCain to play free safety is much more intriguing. I'm rooting for Darrick Forest and Jeremy Reeves, but it's hard to imagine that McCain wouldn't win that battle. I just don't want to see Kamren Curl on the bench. 

Geez, it gets really hard when you have a solid roster. It's a nice problem to have.

This is the only thing that somewhat concerns me. Curl needs to play. But I have to believe they will find away to get him on the field, regardless. If they both play like they did last year, Landon won’t play ahead of him for long.

But even if Landon does remain a starter, the versatility of guys like Curl, Fuller and McCain if we add him, should allow for the best 5 DBs to be on the field one way or another. 

Edited by terpfan

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I had to drop a confused here. Because while Lucas was not a top 10 LT last year he played WELL. There are only so many guys in the world that can do that job. And he is one of them. He may not be the best at it. But he is serviceable for sure. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Should we be at all worried that signing Leno would slow Cosmi's development? Probably not..but it's worth thinking about if the plan is for him to become the much needed long-term solution at left tackle. 

I'm glad we're having Leno come in for a visit. For me, the benefit of signing him lies in the probability that we'll lose one or more of our offensive lineman to injury. If we don't sign Leno, I won't cry in my beer. I'm good with Moses, Lucas, and Cosmi...not to mention Charles, who should be able to play both guard and tackle. 

I think McCain has a better chance of being signed than Leno but both could be wrapped up on Monday.  McCain is tied to Stokes when he was in Miami so I look for him to be signed plus he was a Captain.  I think RR loves leadership and that is sorely needed in our secondary.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, terpfan said:

This is the only thing that somewhat concerns me. Curl needs to play. But I have to believe they will find away to get him on the field, regardless. If they both play like they did last year, Landon won’t play ahead of him for long.

But even if Landon does remain a starter, the versatility of guys like Curl, Fuller and McCain if we add him, should allow for the best 5 DBs to be on the field one way or another. 

Are they really planning on starting the season with Collins as starting at SS, and Curl on the bench ?

That would be sad, if that is done simply for contract reasons.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

7 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I think Collins is gone after 2021 anyway.  There is an out in his contract even though we'd eat some of his money we would be in the plus rather than negative.

41 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

If we sign McCain Curl is benched. End of story. You arent paying what we pay Collins to sit on the bench. For better or worse Collins is our SS. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Kam Curl will be our Buffalo Nickel and then spell Landon as needed. I don’t know what Landon’s recovery will ultimately be like but I’m sure Kam’ll be rotating with Landon often in the beginning of the season. He’ll find his way on the field. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

If we sign McCain Curl is benched. End of story. You arent paying what we pay Collins to sit on the bench. For better or worse Collins is our SS. 

McCain would spell the end of Reaves starting most likely, Curl will be on the field very often, they aren't keeping their best safety on the bench. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I predict Collins becomes a post 1 June trade. Maybe just before roster cuts. Late round pick off someone, his contract has no future guaranteed money for the acquiring team to worry about.

Get McCain through the door Monday and put a contract right in front of him.

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Collins comes back in pre Washington form and JDR gets the most out of him.

Definitely one to watch. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love that to happen this season. Be interesting to see what money we offer McCain if we try to actually sign him up.