Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

19 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Bunch of Friggin Pansie Ass ****es. Damn bagboy at the Walmart goes to work, why can't they?? 

Um, Walmart employees are mostly not expected at VOLUNTARY training sessions. If they are not VOLUNTARY, it is BS for management to say they are. If Rivera expects the players, it is a black mark on his character, not the players.

Edited by Darth Tater
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If I didn't have to show up for a voluntary event for my work I wouldn't either.

I remember one company I worked for had voluntary events. They were only voluntary in that if you didn’t show up you were next on the list to get laid off. You were volunteering to be the next out the door.
 That’s kind of the gist of voluntary work outs, especially for player battling for roster positions. The players that get away with not showing up are the ones that are too good to cut.

Edited by Florgon79
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Florgon79 said:

I remember one company I worked for had voluntary events. They were only voluntary in that if you didn’t show up you were next on the list to get laid off. You were volunteering to be the next out the door.
 That’s kind of the gist of voluntary work outs, especially for player battling for roster positions. The players that get away with not showing up are the ones that are too good to cut.

Right. This is a competition. For a roster spot. For playing time. For reputation and good will with the coaching staff. My ass would show up.

47 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Um, Walmart employees are mostly not expected at VOLUNTARY training sessions. If they are not VOLUNTARY, it is BS for management to say they are. If Rivera expects the players, it is a black mark on his character, not the players.

I agree it is voluntary and isn’t that level of deal. 

I will add, though, that when I skip the voluntary work events, I don’t feel the need the email blast the entire company to say I stand with the introverts.  In general I am anti reply-all though...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Bunch of Friggin Pansie Ass ****es. Damn bagboy at the Walmart goes to work, why can't they?? 

This is an insanely out of touch post. The bagboy, if he’s supporting himself the way a pro athlete clearly is, is probably working 40 hours and still on food stamps in many states. That’s why he’s working during a global pandemic lol. 

The NFLPA has a duty to represent their members’ interests, and players hate “voluntary” workouts to begin with. Seeing as they’re all pretty much pissed that their union rolled over for 17 games, I’m not surprised they’re taking and using their leverage where they can. Especially since the season seemed fine last year with little offseason work. 

But framing it as a situation where the players using their bargained power is a slap in the face to their coach, trying to pit their interests against each other—that’s silly imo. There will always be outliers, but as a group they'll tend to do what the league mandates and not much more, no matter how much they love their boss. Like any job, in that respect. And they’ll play their asses off when it’s not “voluntary”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is an insanely out of touch post. The bagboy, if he’s supporting himself the way a pro athlete clearly is, is probably working 40 hours and still on food stamps in many states. That’s why he’s working during a global pandemic lol. 

I don't like this framing. Are you really saying that if you're poor you ought to put yourself at risk, but if you are a millionaire you can skip out on your obligations implied or otherwise?

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't like this framing. Are you really saying that if you're poor you ought to put yourself at risk, but if you are a millionaire you can skip out on your obligations implied or otherwise?

I interpreted it the opposite; that the blue collar worker is forced to risk his health because he has no other option besides starving, that’s not a good thing, but it’s reality. A pro athlete has options and can play hardball.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

A black mark on his character to want to become a better player/team (regardless of pay status.?) Is that the message you send your children, to do the minimum??

52 minutes ago, Burgold said:

No, and it didn’t even occur to me that someone might read it that way. I’m saying you have to when you’re poor—you have little choice—and don’t have to when you’re not poor. It’s a commentary on the systemic issues at play here, not individual mindsets. I’d have thought that would be obvious, in context, but I clearly could have worded it better. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I was assured a roster spot, I would love to skip the optionals.  However, if I'm sixth on the depth chart, or on the practice squad, I have got to thinking about the new QB and that the rookies and UDFA's will be showing up for the rookie training camp.

Those roster slots are pretty valuable.  Being there, means being seen.  Being seen, means being notice.

:229:The Rook

• Like 5

19 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Exactly.......definitely not trying to rain on the Reyes parade, but people keep saying "TG, Antonio Gates, & Jimmy Graham" were former basketball players. Yeah, they were, but they also were QUICK & explosive type players on the court. I dont see that from Reyes on the court. For more reasons than one I want him to make the team and contribute. But like someone else said, he's got a mountain to climb. 

Ron must see another Greg Olson in this Reyes kid.....Gonna be fun to see him in preseason games. 

• Like 2

They could easily just not show up and not make a big presentation about it. I wouldn't give a **** as a fan, its when decisions like this are being made as a whole that makes no sense.

So Sammis Reyes can't participate and learn more about the TE position if he wants to because one guy wants to write and email and speak for everyone? You can't tell me every single one of these guys wants to stay home. 

That's what isn't right about this, and it's being framed as a covid thing when we all know they're going to party it up for few extra weeks. Why can't the guys that don't care to workout with the team do their own thing, and the guys that want to do their own thing? 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

It seems that Reyes’s girlfriend was the driving force in pushing Sammi to sign with the WFT. She is a native of McLean, Virginia.

Ah man, what an easy guy to root for, hope something comes of it. I think it's easy to be cynical and think maybe there's a lot of breath being wasted over someone who is a long shot to contribute, but I dig a move like this considering what our TE coach was able to do with Logan in terms of development last season.  For his next trick..?

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

They could easily just not show up and not make a big presentation about it. I wouldn't give a **** as a fan, its when decisions like this are being made as a whole that makes no sense.

Most effective if done beforehand. It allows the more influencial players (i.e. the uncuttable ones) to provide shelter for the fringe roster players, who may have desired to not attend, but would have due to their unsecured status. Strengthens the brotherhood as all the players are looking out for one another. By presenting it in this manner, no one has pressure to show. Takes the majority of power out of the teams hands and gives it to the players.

Seriously doubt this is the last team/instance to do something like this. This will go down accross the NFL. In the same manner you could not force MLB players to be warded off from their families for an full length MLB season, you can't ask an NFL player to ward himself off from his familiy just to attend a "voluntary" workout. There are people that have comprimised immunne systems all over the world. We had one at Head Coach last year. There are people that are unable to recieve vaccinations due to medical conditions. Others are straight up allergic. Kids cant get vaccines yet. Stuff like that is exactly why the NFLPA even exsists.

When there is actual money to be made, things will be more heated, but right now this is railroaded in favor of the NFLPA.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

Vis-a-vis Reyes, some people seem to be making an assumption that the guy is stupid, that he doesn't realize how much he has to learn and how different and physical pro football is going to be. His skillset as a basketball player is different from what a TE needs, but to me if he has the heart and the humility, he has a helluva shot to do something. The attitude on the team under Rivera is very conducive to developing a guy like this, not just coaches but the other players sharing their knowledge and techniques with him, showing him some of the more subtle nuance elements that he can't pick up on his own. The D backs especially can tell him what and how they're reading his stance, his takeoff and positioning, to get a sense of how to play the position. He might never be a traditional TE in the way we think of them, but that doesn't mean he cannot make himself known.

Now do I expect him to burst on the scene and have a huge impact this year? No, not really, that's asking an awful lot but just for a second, think about that, how cool would it be? 

I'm playin that "What if?" game in April, anything to get me through to the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3